How common is open carry really?

Dannan

Hello, I did not see much new information here. I may have a lead on a job in WI that would require relocation. I do not see much here on how much the average person open carries versus when there is a rally. I would like to get a sense of whether you are just driving around with locked hand guns and leaving them in the vehicles and not open carrying or whether open carry is really only tolerated in some areas or on private property.

I am from MA and have visited WI, and with as bad as MA is for rules there is a license to carry for the priviledged. Open carry does not fly.

I have visited WI for almost 30 years and can't recall seeing anyone open carry, granted I am there on business. I have not gone to all parts. For many years I was in Kenosha and Racine. I was in Beloit and the area a 3-4 years ago. I have been in Tomah, WI Rapids more lately and nearby areas.

Thank you.

When I visited Wisconsin on business I open carried except when I ate in alcohol-serving restaurants, where it was left in the car. It was my introduction to open carry. I now occasionally OC in middle TN.

104 views, mine is the first comment? Y'all must be tired of arguin'!

Ongoing Freedom, thank you for getting this one going. I read on some other forums as well yesterday to start to get an up to date picture.

Looked to me like there are open carriers and they are posting when they get stopped by police or store employees. Did you ever have an incident yourself? Thank you.

Absolutely none. I've been very surprised to see most people do not notice. Only two people that I'm aware of that did notice and stare were here in TN: the manager of a Lenny's sub shop that I was talking to and a bicycle cop standing outside a Petco that my family and I were entering.

That is a good sign. From a distance it is hard to tell how often people open carry without being stopped, questioned, or in some cases asked to leave some premises. I can see from some people's posts elsewhere that some of these have been impediments to their open carrying or open carrying more often.

Am in NC and OC constantly. When in public places like malls/etc. I just pull my shirt tail or "T" over it to avoid any hassles. Went in my bud's parts house yesterday and he commented that I was not allowed in his place carrying such a small shooter-LOL. Told him the 45s were in the car-was wearing a Makarov. Next week will be using a new Sig 232 stainless in 380

Thanks -06, good information for NC and your encounters.

In WI there is one option, fully visible open carry and we will see how others update us on how often they carry, how long have they been doing it, whether they have problem encounters, etc.

Would be interesting as well for WI at least, how many of you know of friends that have talked themselves out of carrying for whatever reasons.

Thanks Father-of-three. I had an interview in PA, outside NE Philly two weeks ago that did not move forward. I read up on some more.

Open Carry is allowed in PA, and people can get licensed for concealed carry. There are some location limits on open carry.

Thanks.

Yes, opencarry.org, that is where I am seeing more activity on open carry updates, discussions on people having success or getting stopped.

May hear from different people here.

Thanks Father-of-three. I had an interview in PA, outside NE Philly two weeks ago that did not move forward. I read up on some more.

Open Carry is allowed in PA, and people can get licensed for concealed carry. There are some location limits on open carry.

Thanks.
By law in Pennsylvania, open carry is not prohibited by law, nor is there a specific law allowing for it, which tends to be contraversial in my opinion. I have seen a posting on this site by a person in central Pennsylvania that often open carries, but I am very leery of doing that, especially anywhere near Philadelphia. In my observations, it does not appear to be accepted practice in Pennsylvania.

Right Father-of-three, there are limits in some areas of PA where you cannot open carry, "cities of First Class". such as Philadelphia.

PA is one state that is easier to get concealed carry.

I open carry occasionally. Mainly just when I go to like Wal-Mart. Otherwise I'm not really out that often. Or if its for something quick, I don't take the time to holster up because we cannot carry in our vehicles, so it's just a pain. We also can't carry in any place that serves alcohol for consumption (restaurants and bars), so most of the places I would eat serve alcohol.

There's quite a few people that open carry. I've yet to run into anyone else while I'm out grocery shopping or anything, but one of these days!

I've been OCing for about a year now. I haven't had anyone say anything about my gun yet. Only a few people noticed and seemed surprised. Otherwise most don't even notice.

Thanks Logan. Good information.

Also seems to me to probably be easier in good weather I'm assuming since you have to load, unload outside your vehicle.

Will be interesting the day you come across someone OCing.

A member (from WI) by the SN "Hardballer" OCs every day, everywhere (within the law, of course). If I recall correctly, the only negative reaction he has ever had was with his neighbor. Go figure:wacko:.

Thanks Utimmer43.

Interesting. I think I recall that you can conceal carry in WI on your own property but if you open carry everywhere you might just open carry on your own property.

Age old story, you can't always pick your neighbors. Remember about the guy that was mad at his neighbor for the same reason somewhere and he put a sign in the yard saying the neighbor was unarmed in case burglars were around.

Update, been in WI five weeks, stayed in Janesville and worked in Beloit. Been driving all around east of each.

Saw one person so far, and it was in my hotel and he was from TX on a business trip.

I was out of state last weekend and I think there was an open carry rally in Janesville.

Still have my eyes open for it.

Update, been in WI five weeks, stayed in Janesville and worked in Beloit. Been driving all around east of each.

Saw one person so far, and it was in my hotel and he was from TX on a business trip.

I was out of state last weekend and I think there was an open carry rally in Janesville.

Still have my eyes open for it.
You are right on the border with the peoples republic of IL. Careful you don't OC over there, we will not be seeing you for some time.
I have lived here in MN for some time. CC and OC have been legal here for about 8 years. In that time, I have yet to see anyone OC anywhere but the woods. I OC or CC while deer hunting. Just a J-frame, in case of rabid people
I have seen OC once in Arizona, and it was good for a few laughs.
This is not the thread to discuss OC vs CC, so I iwll end now.
Dannan, dirve north and west, you will love the fishing. Pleanty of deer, and grouse also.
You made a good move.

Thanks Icemanmpls. Good information, and yes stay out of IL. The state line is right at Beloit.

I have a coworker that grew up ij WI, he is filling me in on the hunting, fishing. He gracciously took me out on his lake one night thiis week and gave me a tour of it. He will introduce me to some other people.

Some day WI may get the vote through with a different governor and then it would really isolate IL.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back