Horrible dream last night, got me thinking!

lamerem

I had a damn nightmare last night first one in probably a decade. I was home alone sleeping upstairs in my bed. Wife and kids were somewhere, not sure. I woke to a large man next to my bed starring down the barrel of his gun. I reached for me bedside and he fired twice hitting me in the abdomen and upper torso maybe my shoulder area I can't quite remember. By this time I was so disoriented(just woke from a dead sleep, shot twice, and now double vision from the inflicted pain) that I fumbled with the safety allowing him to get off another shot (not sure where it hit). I finally was able to fire back but failed to place any round, he ran out and left. I fumbled for my phone and got 911 and was on the phone when he re-entered my home and then I woke up.

It scared the crap out of me, it was so real. The pain was unimaginable. The fear of my life. So it got me thinking. I need some door alarms or an alarm system to notify me of intruders before there on top of me. I need to time the distance from each entry point to my room and my kids room. It also made me realize while I had the police on the line, he was coming back. I was on my own, the most scary alone feeling I've ever had. Life or death, double vision, pain or no pain. He was coming back! I've never had a dream like this before. Scary feeling to think what could happen!

One question- "How long have you been carrying or had a firearm in the house for SD?"

When I first started CC'ing and keeping a firearm by my bed, I had a few of these type nightmares. I think it was because of the newness of the experience and the heightened awareness I had of my firearm. Once carrying a firearm & having one close-by at night became the norm for me, I quit having the nightmares.

-

Carrying 1 year, guns in the house 10 years. I told the wife this morning and she said she has had similar dreams but never any shooting. I've decided today that its time to really start situational training. Perform muscle memory for the situation at hand. We are investing in door alarms that can be turned on at night. The kind that beep real loud when a door is cracked or opened. We have security windows on our main level. They can't be broken with repeated hits of a baseball bat.

At this point it's all about notice! Something that can give notice of an intruder as soon as possible to wake me. In my dream I was using my carry XD .45acp with Thumb Safety (I know, I know but I like my thumb safety, got used to it from my 1911). But the optimal weapon is a shotgun as we all know! That will be more readily available at night.

I don't think and hope it won't happen, but that dream was a reality check of me preparedness!

Another thing, I've met a lot of carriers who think there safe because they have a gun. But just as in the dream it's a different story when. Your shot and wounded, trying to focus. Mere split seconds define your life. There is a difference between having a gun and having the training to use it in a combat situation.

This is a great example of why I dont keep my self defense weapon locked up. When seconds count, Im not going to let myself die as I try to get my gun out of a locked safe.

We added an alarm system to our home when we moved in. It covers all exterior doors and glass, including an out-building. Only one door that has a delay before sounding alarms on the interior of the house and exterior. Just now looking at adding light switches that can be remotely turned on in the event of alarm triggering, or from the bedroom. Thinking that lots of noise and lights coming on will cause someone to think twice. If not, then beware of the owner baring arms!
Yes, that was a bad dream!
MrBlue

I got the Glock 21 riding the bed side holster tonight(no safeties except trigger). Been on my mind all day. Enhanced awareness is not necessarily bad but I want to go into full lockdown mode, lol. Wife and I looked at a new house today and coincidentally it had a "Safe room" in the basement incase of well anything. Who the heck puts it in the basement. You'd have to fight your way there! I don't get it! Well here's to a peaceful nights rest. Goodnight my friends!

Dogs are a good addition to home protection. We have 4, two of them total 300 lbs and the male is VERY protective of the wife. We are also considering alarming the house as well. I grew up with a loaded and ready gun within easy grab........I still live this way. My dad didn't need to lock up his guns from the kids. We knew that if we were caught with them and him not present......butt whippin was soon to follow. Same in my household now, but all our kids are grown and gone. We never had an issue with kids and guns. It is good to be prepared to defend yourself, even better not to get into that situation. Using an alarm system and having a dog can prevent the situation. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure......very true when you can.

Though they are annoying as hell, and really a pain in the *****, little yap dogs are the best alarm system you can have. Mine know the difference in peoples' footsteps, vehicles that aren't ours, etc. You will not tiptoe within 3 feet of my house without them alarming me that a stranger is in the yard, much less walk across the porch and touch the doorknob.

I think of these scenarios on a regular basis, I deactivated my alarm system (previous home owner had one, I didnt want to pay 365 a year for some thing i dont need) because Ive got 2 dogs in the home who bark when a mouse farts, so theres my alarm system, at the very least, Id recommend a dog or two, cheaper and serve as a line of defense if a would be attacker got into your home they could either, A wound the attacker and scare him off, or B give you enough time to wake up, draw down and fire a shot while he/they are fighting your dogs. While a traditional alarm system is good, it only serves as a noise maker, and they typically dont dispatch police for 60 seconds (after the alarm has gone off and no answer on a phone call)

I know it's been mentioned a few times but I agree with those who have said get a dog. They remain alert 99% of the time even while asleep they can be wakened by faint noises out of the ordinary and most thieves will avoid homes with dogs compared to alarm systems that can be disabled or fooled. A dog will also put it's life on the line to protect you, alarms won't. You could try a combo of the two for ultimate security.

I read a story about one instance where a criminal tripped the alarm numerous times of a home that was occupied and each time the homeowner went to investigate and found nothing he then just ended up turning it off because he thought it was malfunctioning. After things calmed down and the owner was again sleeping the criminal then came in and robbed him while he slept.

because Ive got 2 dogs in the home who bark when a mouse farts,
LOL....I like that

I know it's been mentioned a few times but I agree with those who have said get a dog. They remain alert 99% of the time even while asleep they can be wakened by faint noises out of the ordinary and most thieves will avoid homes with dogs compared to alarm systems that can be disabled or fooled. A dog will also put it's life on the line to protect you, alarms won't. You could try a combo of the two for ultimate security.
My dogs are totally and completely awake instantly.

Don't get me wrong....they are extremely annoying. I yell at my dogs every day for barking. I guess you could call it a love-hate relationship...I love the dogs and hate the noise....but love the fact that I know the noise protects my family and my stuff. With my combination of yap dogs and a large dog, I don't always lock my doors. (I try to but don't always remember)

I would find an alarm system a pain and would never use it.

Have alarm, lights, two attack trained 90 pound pets and weapons and training to use them. Maybe overkill, but it works for me.

Carrying 1 year, guns in the house 10 years. I told the wife this morning and she said she has had similar dreams but never any shooting. I've decided today that its time to really start situational training. Perform muscle memory for the situation at hand. We are investing in door alarms that can be turned on at night. The kind that beep real loud when a door is cracked or opened. We have security windows on our main level. They can't be broken with repeated hits of a baseball bat.

At this point it's all about notice! Something that can give notice of an intruder as soon as possible to wake me. In my dream I was using my carry XD .45acp with Thumb Safety (I know, I know but I like my thumb safety, got used to it from my 1911). But the optimal weapon is a shotgun as we all know! That will be more readily available at night.

I don't think and hope it won't happen, but that dream was a reality check of me preparedness!

I live in a normally quiet, gated golf community, with private security guards and patrolled, whose usual crime is occasionally stupid kids doing stupid stuff in the neighborhood. Despite that, my home has a full perimeter alarm with secondary interior sensors, exterior motion security flood lights with other exterior lights that remain on all night, exterior and interior security cameras, and a well trained GSD who has the run of the house and is on full alert 24/7. There are additional measures that I won’t detail here. Overkill? Not for me and I sleep well every night.

It is better to have a wakeup call from a dream than a real life experience. Do what you need to be secure and comfortable. You are on the right track here. You need a family plan for a home invasion. And that plan should be practiced. As an aside, the shotgun is a good tool for a defending a choke point, but not moving within the house. That should be at a minimum anyway, just to get everyone secure in a single location passed that choke point.

Live to Love

I had a similiar situation.
It seemed like I a was in a fog and people were telling me that they were going to do everything they could to save me. I heard the people tell my wife there wasn't alot to hope for me because my condition was bad.
I remember going in and out of a fog from time to time, not knowing what was going on around me.
Finally I am sitting in a chair and someone is helping me take something out of my throat, a breathing tube.
It wasn't a dream and I never really knew how real it was until it was all over. I felt terrible for putting my wife through such an ordeal and have never been able to apologize to her.
I lost 4 days of my life while on a respirator in intensive care unalbe to breath on my own due to complications from surgery.
Long story shortened; I have difficulty breathing and can't work because of those complications.
Not being able to control what is going on around you is a terrible feeling. Don't allow that feeling of helplessness control or overcontrol your life. There is no way you can prepare for every possible scenrio and you can not allow yourself to become paranoid in the process. Live life, enjoy your loved ones in your life and hold them dear to you, just be aware that there may be a time in your life when you will need to protect what is dear to you. Remaining calm and clear thinking you will do what is right, you will do everything within you power to overcome the evil you face and live to love another day.
It is easier to say than do and I understand this, it is also to easier to live with death than trying to fight if everyday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back