Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty

m.ritz

Has anyone looked into the new critical duty line by Hornady? They look to me to be like a cross between their Critical Defense line and Speer Gold Dots. The best of both worlds! My question is... Hornady says they were not optimized for short barreled concealed carry guns like Critical Defense was, which leads me to think that they will just have quite a bit more recoil, but should n every bit as reliable as far as expansion is concerned, being that both bullets use the flex tip technology. That being the case, I'd like them because I'm fine with the recoil. I want full powered loads...

I have not seen them yet. But i think they may be referring to the actual shape. Critical defenseis almost triangle shape and loads and ejects easily in my tcp but broader hollow points seems to have issues.

think their shapes r similar too. i think the major differences r that the critical duty is hotter, heavier and has a bonded core

With my limited knowledge, I would think that if it wasn't optimized for short barrels it wouldn't have the muzzle velocity and energy that it could have. I'll stick with Critical Defense until I see that I need a law enforcement cartridge. I my opinion, self defense needs are completely different from Law Enforcement needs.

true, he probably wouldn't care which is which, but i like knowing i'm packing as much heat as i can conceal, just yo b sure!

I read an article about the Critical Duty ammo. At the moment my aging teflon coated cranial velcro doesn't remember which magazine had it. The bottom line of the article was that Critical Duty was a good LEO round, able to pass the entire FBI test regimen of barriers and clothes - maybe the only ammo that has passed so far. Very good for LEO's who might have to shoot through barriers like that, but clearly more penetration than 99.99% of SD situations need and therefore an over penetration liability for civillian concealed carry.

It sounded to me like Critical Duty might be good winter carry ammo in areas where folks wear a lot of heavy winter clothes, Carthartt Jackets, erc. Personally, I'd have a hard time living with killing or gravely injuring some innocent person beyond the bad guy because of over penetration. Critical Defense was designed with civillian concealed carry as the target market. Critical duty was designed with LEO's as the target market though it is also available for sale to civillians.

Envision a lawyer riding on the nose of every bullet you shoot. Pick your pony, take your ride.

Fitch

I read an article about the Critical Duty ammo. At the moment my aging teflon coated cranial velcro doesn't remember which magazine had it. The bottom line of the article was that Critical Duty was a good LEO round, able to pass the entire FBI test regimen of barriers and clothes - maybe the only ammo that has passed so far. Very good for LEO's who might have to shoot through barriers like that, but clearly more penetration than 99.99% of SD situations need and therefore an over penetration liability for civillian concealed carry.

It sounded to me like Critical Duty might be good winter carry ammo in areas where folks wear a lot of heavy winter clothes, Carthartt Jackets, erc. Personally, I'd have a hard time living with killing or gravely injuring some innocent person beyond the bad guy because of over penetration. Critical Defense was designed with civillian concealed carry as the target market. Critical duty was designed with LEO's as the target market though it is also available for sale to civillians.

Envision a lawyer riding on the nose of every bullet you shoot. Pick your pony, take your ride.

Fitch

Exactly. Critical Duty is literally overkill for self defense applications. As somebody else in another review said it, you can't seriously want to shoot thru barriers in a self defense situation. That would most likely turn the self defense into a gunfight.

Critical Defense vs Critical Duty

I just read the article at G&A and watched the Hornaday ad and they claim it is not 'bonded', like soldered, because that requires a 'soft' lead core. Instead they have opted for what they call a 'mechanical' attachment which appears to work with shape of the core along with'Interlok' bands to hold it in place. They claim this allows them to utilize a harder 'high-antimony' core that holds up better for penetration through barriers. All the other features are the same - low flash, nickle cases, crimp for maintaning bullet position, sealed from moisture. It is said to tell the difference between Critical Difense and Critical Duty, look at the tip of the polymer plug - they have stamped a 'H' in the Critical Duty rounds. Bottom line though - it's gonna be a hard defense to make if you shoot someone through a barrier - unless they are trying to run over you in some type of vehicle

The ballistics will work themselves out over time between these two. My major concern would be what a plaintiff attorney would do with the name "Critical Duty" instead of "Critical Defense". IMHO, a prosecutor or plaintiff attorney might try to paint you as a vigilante who plays cop and has these "unnecessary killer bullets". Of course, we all know better than that but think of what happened to Black Talon when they were released. Sad that this is part of decision making.

Just as an aside, why does the media call bullets "killer bullets"? Are they insinuating there are other kinds, perhaps ones specifically made to shoot someone to say hello? Just another example of moronic media.

If you recall, Hornaday had come out with a 'disclaimer', if you will, about a year ago saying that if shot through any type of barrier that the Critcal Defense round would not expand as promised. This pretty much took it out of LE hands so they had to come back with something. I am still a big fan of the PDX 1 ammo - suppossedly good penetration, weight retention and expansion over 1 1/2. Go to the G&A site and find the article/video on the Crtical Duty and it shows results in the ballistic gel. Intresting, they say the reason they went up to 135 gr on the 9mm is that when it expanded it was not 'deep' enough (I guess they mean not enough mass to propell the expanded projectile forward through gel/flesh) when made in 115 or 124. At this point they are only advertising three rounds: 135 9mm; 135 9mm +P; and 175 .40 - but I'm guessing a full line will be on the market soon.

For what it's worth, here is a link to a Flyer on the two rounds being discussed. Link Removed. I think I will stick with the critical defense.

I would appear that if you have a 2" or 3" barrel you might want Critical Defense. For a 4 1/2" or larger Critical Duty might be your choice though the Critical Defense would work just fine. My 4" barrel would probably work with either. I have been unable to find Critical Duty locally. When it becomes available I will pick some up. On the off chance that I might be involved in a car jacking I would like a heavier bullet. Yes you are right, it is highly unlikely but a very good friend of mine was involved in an attempted car jacking. Luckily he had a revolver at hand. From the videos that I have seen I would not be overly worried about over penetration.

The Critcal Defense is a standard self defense round while the Critical Duty was designed with law enforcement applications in mind. The Critical Duty was designed for better bullet retention when traveling through objects such as windshields, (barrier performance). The Critical Duty round carries a heavier FlexLock bullet, the Critical Defense bullet is the FTX. Both bullets look very similar and carry an anti-clog bullet tip. Ballistic performance varies depending on the caliber of the firearm used; for instance the Critical Defense does not come in a 9mmm +P, the Critical Duty does. The 40 S&W Critical Duty carries a 175 grain FlexLock, the Critical Defense a 165 grain FTX. Bullet energy in the 40 S&W is very close between both rounds. The Critical Defense carries an advantage in bullet expansion when there are no barriers to contend with. The Critical Duty has a bullet retention advantage when barriers come into play. The Hornady web site will provide you with detailed bullet performance and offers insights into internal, external, and terminal balistics.

Exactly. Critical Duty is literally overkill for self defense applications. As somebody else in another review said it, you can't seriously want to shoot thru barriers in a self defense situation. That would most likely turn the self defense into a gunfight.

Turn it into a gun fight AND a prison term more than likely.

wce3gp_th.jpg
.... the stupidity of these remarks is just without measure. They show a total lack of understanding and training in terminal ballistics and the not so subtle nuance between a self defense shooting and a self defense gunfight.

wce3gp_th.jpg
.... the stupidity of these remarks is just without measure. They show a total lack of understanding and training in terminal ballistics and the not so subtle nuance between a self defense shooting and a self defense gunfight.

The rudeness of your statement is equally without measure.

The rudeness of your statement is equally without measure.

You sir equate rudeness with blunt honesty. You would be better served acquiring proper training and education on the subjects rather than spreading such idiocy on the internet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back