Home Protection Shotguns

Mossburg 590, back when I purchased it cost about $270, holds 9 plus 4 in the speed feed stock. A tad heavy but never fails.
Load is O buck with 2 slugs and 2 flechettes in speed feed, just in case:biggrin:

Bought a older Winchester Ranger 110 12 GA at a gun show for $100. Bought pistol grip for Winchester 1200 (fits Ranger 110) for $20. Makes for nice home self defence gun.

My choice for the "home protection" shotgun was the Mossberg 500A. I've hot rodded it a little with a TACSTAR mounted light with pressure switch, a barrel heat sheild and ammo rail. I guess if youre slinging 00 buckshot at a target all the extras are just novelties.

I would agree with gregory44mag. A Mossberg 500a would be just fine. You can find all of the extras almost anywhere online now a days.

I don't own one but I've been eyeing the Charles Daly 1887 lever action shotgun as the home protector. 22" barrel 12 gauge and I always seem to be in the moment behind a lever action. :to_pick_ones_nose:

Just a little info. Every now and then the Teflon starts looking shabby on one of my fry pans. Rather than chuck one out last week I threw it in the truck and took it to Maine with me. 12 inch diameter and thick aluminum, I figured would make a nice target to zero in my Remington 870 with 18" barrel. So I hung it from a stubby branch on a small pine tree.

At 120 feet with buck shot ( 9 pellets) not even one hit the pan.

First shot with a slug was 2" left of dead center and blew clean through.

Second slug was 5" low and hit the curved edge making a massive dent and deflected.

Can't imagine why that one missed so bad, using a red dot scope. I wanted to try another shot closer with the buck shot but the sky opened up and was just raining too heavy.

Only conclusion I made in the short time I had to play with it was, Don't use a fry pan for cover in a gun fight.

Well since we're on the subject, my daughter is 18 now and can get an FID card. She and the wife are alone when I go off to work. The wife will shoot a hand gun at the range with me but doesn't like it. My daughter on the other hand is quite a shot with rifle and pistol. I'm thinking SHE should be in charge of a gun when I'm away. I'm confident she's responsible enough and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger if she had to.

I'm thinking the least complicated to use under pressure and while in fear, is a double barrel, 410 or 20 Ga. Any thoughts?

I went the pawn shop route to get the base gun for my house shotgun. I found the crappiest but still functional 12 gauge Remington 1100 within 50 miles of the house. It had camo duct tape on the wood that also covered up the split toe on the butt stock, a bulge in the barrel and the muzzle was out of round. It cost me $200 'out the door' (tax, NCIC background check, ... included) and I think the feller at the pawn shop thought he'd found a pilgrim to fleece. That was alright because all I really wanted was the receiver, bolt and mag tube, which -apart from a little rust on the sides of the receiver- were in great shape.

After a detailed disassembly and cleaning that included the use of a half a case of Gun Scrubber and about 3 hours of chipping the built up powder residue out of the receiver because it had apparently NEVER been taken apart, I called Remington and ordered a new barrel (21" smoothbore slug barrel with rifle sights and choke tubes) and a new set of O-rings (the old ones were really ratty). Then I got a hold of Speedfeed and got one of their Speedfeed III stocks and called Surefire Technologies for one of their Responder forearms. While I had the phone and credit card out and warmed up, I got a hold of Scattergun Technologies, who were kind enough to sell me a 6 shot side saddle carrier and one of their mag extensions.

For about $600 (and the single biggest cost was the Surefire Responder forearm- its' cost was more than the gun), I ended up with essentially the same thing as the Scattergun Technologies 1187 K-9 model but at half the costs.:biggrin: The ONLY differences are mine is an 1100 rather than an 11-87 that has has open sights rather than a ghost ring rear and everything except the parkerized mag extension is blued.

That was over 10 years ago and I finally ended up using it this weekend- on a raccoon that was probably rabid. Two loads of Remington 2 3/4" #1 buckshot (one of the 16 ball loads that are on the market) surely makes a mess at 30 feet.

I got this a few months ago. Got .410 to make it a little more controlable for the wife. Holds (6) 000 buck for home defense.

Link Removed

Probably the best would a 12 ga. pump with as high a capacity as possible. For years went with a Savage 12 ga pump until I gave it to my son.

I now go with a 12 ga. S x S Coach Shotgun just because I like it. Defiantly a SCATTERGUN! I back it up with a Kel-Tec P11 or the wife's SP101.

Go with what you LIKE and are PROFICIENT with and you will do ok.

I just picked up a used although never fired Winchester 1300 defender for 200 holds 7 2 3/4 or 5 3" shells. Seemed like a decent deal but I'm an impulse buyer kinda person so I dont do much shopping around. Seems like a nice gun.

I think looking for a home defense shotgun opens up a whole range of possibilities for the "gunsmith" in all of us. Go to a gun show and buy something you can afford to "tinker" with and have at it! I started with a beater 16ga and did some work on it. Turned out nice for home defense but it won't win any prizes !! JMO....

Mossberg 835 w/18.5" barrel...also have the 28" barrel for more sporting activities. Great flexibility in ammunition and I just love hearing that "click-click" while chambering a shell.....Hopefully the only mess to clean off the floor will be the BG messing his drawers after hearing that sound and heading for the hills!

Mossberg 835 w/18.5" barrel...also have the 28" barrel for more sporting activities. Great flexibility in ammunition and I just love hearing that "click-click" while chambering a shell.....Hopefully the only mess to clean off the floor will be the BG messing his drawers after hearing that sound and heading for the hills!
In my house, the only thing the bad guy is going to hear before the first BOOM! is the faint click of the safety moving to the fire position, the clack-clack of racking the slide happened when the gun was loaded. You don't keep your home defense shotgun loaded?

I don't keep my shotgun loaded either. I would like to get the new clamshell type shotgun lock I've seen in the NRA magazines then I'll keep it loaded- don't know if you guys have seen it but it clamps around the trigger mech and has quick access combo buttons. Looks pretty cool-the only gun I keep loaded and is with me at all times is my 45. I would hate to come home and have some bad guy pointing my own shotgun at me- I really need to spring for a bigger gun safe but unfortunately I have an addiction to new guns. Lmao which is why the wife says I need the new safe!

Last edited:
In my house, the only thing the bad guy is going to hear before the first BOOM! is the faint click of the safety moving to the fire position, the clack-clack of racking the slide happened when the gun was loaded. You don't keep your home defense shotgun loaded?
It's loaded....just no shell in the chamber. The "click-click" happens as I'm raising the shotgun to READY....takes no more time than if it were already in the chamber...and BOOM may still be the LAST sound he hears

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back