Home Protection Shotguns

larrys0227

I'm considering a shotgun for home protection. Weatherby has a new one (pa-489 I think) that looks good for the job. What would you consider for a home protection shotgun while looking to keep expense to a minimum? Thanks in advance for the dozens of opinions I know I will get.

Dick's had a H & K 12 ga. pump, don't remember the model. I think it had a 18" barrel. Look great, priced great, was probably 20 Lbs empty. Way to heavy from my wife to handle.

I am in the same situation. But for a dual purpose. My wife is 5'2" and weighs 84# soaking wet. I want something that she can handle, without difficulty. Have shopped and shopped, and boiled it down to a Mossberg 500 20 gauge, Super Bantam, at a local gun shop, for $325. Oh, it's also camoflaged. :pleasantry:

I use the Mossberg 930 spx with reduced loads and a tac light. It is a Semi auto so it would be easier to chamber for your wife. Although it doesn't have that bone chilling sound of a pump, it still gets the job done.
I prefer the reduced loads for Home defense after reading that full loads tend to easily go through walls(see following article below). You can find the moss 930 (non spx) for $350 or less.

Link Removed

Write up on the mossberg
http://www.ammoland.com/2009/05/18/mossberg-930-spx-shotgun-receives-golden-bullseye-award/

i have a mossberg 500 a1 and use winchester ranger 00 buckshot. its a little long and heavy for my gf who's 5'2 to use, but she could use it in the right situation. it could help to get the pistol grip.. also stay away from birdshot unless going to the range. it doesnt do much for home situations. look into low recoil buckshot. takes the sting out of shooting it. my moss was about $250 or so 3 years ago.

just my 0.2 cents. good luck

I keep an 870 pump 12 Ga with extended mag, 18.5" Mosberg barrel, and adjustable stock with pistol grip and a red dot scope and heat shield. I use it for home protection, hunting, and fishing. :biggrin: Conversion is inexpensive and easy.

:pleasantry:I'd get a Taurus Judge or Public Defender and keep it loaded with Federal Premium PD .410 000 Buckshot. The Judge starts out around $475 and you can pick up the Public Defender starting at $340 (Both prices are from;

Link Removed

:pleasantry::yu::pleasantry:

Ive got the judge and it is great for close quarters, but once you get past the magic 7yds, It becomes almost worthless. I have shot numerous shot loads at the range and at 10yds only about 3 pellets go on paper and those won't cause any major penetration. 410 is great for birds/small game, but doesn't have the stopping power for self defense. I would only consider carrying my judge in the car. You may say well use the 45 LC then. Well that brings up another point, why not just get an accurate 45cal compact? In my judge I do keep the first round 410 000 and the rest 45 LC.

If you are only going to use it for home defense then I'd check your local pawnshops. You'd be surprised at how cheaply you can find a good shotgun at around $150.00 or less there. Some of them are almost brand new. That would be the first place I'd look.

H&R 12 Gauge pump, 18 and 1/4 barrel, only comes in black, very nice shotgun for the money, don't pay much over $200, I gave $190 shoots any type 12 gauge ammo well destroys a cinder block at 100 yds with a slug, and has a good pattern with about any buckshot, did not try anything smaller than #4 buck

Remington 870 Express Tactical. 7 rounds, 7 pounds. Strong enough to beat the BG to death if you forget to load it.

Built an 870 starting with the receiver. Extended Mag Tube, Mesa Tactical 6 Pos Stock, Fat Safety, 20" Slug Barrel with Iron Sights not riffled, Hogue forend grip, and Mesa Tactical Shell Holder. Paid $25 for the receiver and put about $200 in it. I"ve been offered over $600 for it as is.

H&R 20 ga bought it Walmart for 159.00, wife loves it ! We have taken it to the range twice and she has ran about 60 rounds of buckshot through it . She likes it better than her 357 Taurus 605.

Nef (h&r)

Another vote for the H&R. Mine is the NEF (H&R) Pardner Protector. It is a 870 clone, but it has the "humpback" receiver. Seems that most of the 870 accessories fit just fine. Mine will hold 6+1 of the 2 3/4" 00buck with the plugs out. Patterns just fine with cyl bore for HD purposes. I bought the extra rifled barrel with rifle sights and keep that one on because the buckshot will pattern a little wider at across the room distances.Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Yea, the H&R pump was/is made in China, but when Remington saw what was going on with it they just bought the plant that made them and now it is basically owned by Remington. The Chinese put the "hump" on the reciever just to try and get by any patent infringements, but no dice. Remington just bought them out. I know a guy who works at a gun retailer and he bought two of them for his sons and they have shot the crap out of them and, according to him, are still working just fine. I feel like a piker to you all on this thread, the only shot gun I have is a Rossi (Taurus) 12 GA. single shot with a butt cuff and five extra rounds. I use the military buck shot for the home defense role, if I needed the shot gun. I keep my 9mm at arms length most of the time so the shot gun is the back up. I have been thinking about getting the H&R pump with the 18" barrel though. I think, in the home that is, it would be a better choice than the 9mm. Too much penetration with bullets.:biggrin:

If you are only going to use it for home defense then I'd check your local pawnshops. You'd be surprised at how cheaply you can find a good shotgun at around $150.00 or less there. Some of them are almost brand new. That would be the first place I'd look.

Definitely a good recommendation. Got a nice Mossberg 500 with 28in vent rib barrel for $175 at a pawn shop and $80 later got the 18.5 inch barrel. Now I've got home defense and hunting covered.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back