Home Defense

DRNurse1

DRNurse1
Any thoughts on a full size home defense pistol? I am considering Glock vs Springfield XD/ XDm due to simplicity and multiple potential users, abilities, hand sizes. Probably 45ACP but would consider other calibers.

Home defense gun should be as similar as possible, in form, fit, function and caliber; as your concealed carry. So, if you do carry...stick with that. Nothing more deadly than to be fumbling with a partially familiar gun that you need to put into play immediately from a sound sleep.

As large a caliber as you reliably shoot.

I also like a weapon mounted light. I also have a tactical flashlight that I use. Then when a BG is verified, I drop the tactical flaslight (on a lanyard) and use the weapon mounted light.

Any thoughts on a full size home defense pistol? I am considering Glock vs Springfield XD/ XDm due to simplicity and multiple potential users, abilities, hand sizes. Probably 45ACP but would consider other calibers.

A pistol is the hardest weapon to master. Given your criteria, a shotgun might be better?
Varied abilities? How varied? If a relative novice is involved (if you still go with a pistol) I'd probably choose a revolver.
That's just me though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

That was fast. Thank you for you help and valuable input. I am considering a last resort gun for al of the members on my family to use. Shot gum might be a bit much for our littlest but she sure can shoot a pistol. I like the Idea of a revolver but its limited capacity (compared to pistols) is concerning. Safety and trainig will, of course, preceed the placement of this gun in our safe room.

If this firearm is only for home defense and will not leave the house you should go shotgun. If it could go for a walk with you, go 9mm Glock and put 300+ rounds through it at the range.

EDIT: Just read about 'the littlest' not being able to hand a shotgun. What about a .410? Not real on the kick.

A handgun shot needs to be dead on target... a shotgun just needs to be in the general direction...

Glock makes great handguns, and I carry one every day. But if you want real home defense, use a 12 gauge shotgun.

Here is a little guide to help you decide.

A pistol is used to fight your way to the Long Gun you should have had to begin with.
Totally agree. Perhaps this guide will help you.
Good also for countering the argument that the 2A is about hunting or civilians don't need military weapons. Enjoy...

Link Removed

Great replies so far. Especially by Dakota.

The answer also depends on your current situation.

When I bought my first firearm I was a college student, not a home owner.

I was also a lot smaller in stature (150 lbs) than now (200+).

For me, then, the ideal choice was the Smith & Wesson model 39 which is a 9mm double and single action along the lines of the Browning High Power.

I did not like the double stack of the Browning in those days because my hands were too small back then.

Soon after that I graduated to the Springfield 45ACP in single stack. Now however I have a 45ACP in double and single action and double stacked. Ruger, Sig, and CZ each make a similar one.

You can sleep with a shotgun by your bed or in bed with you, but you cannot put it under your pillow. And you are never truly safe at night unless your firearm is under your pillow with you. So in order to fight you way to your long gun, wherever it is, in a gunsafe, or beside your bed, you need a handgun under your pillow with you.

Ergo I have been sleeping with guns longer than I have been sleeping with women. By at least 2 years.

:biggrin:

A handgun shot needs to be dead on target... a shotgun just needs to be in the general direction...

Not true at all. A shotgun needs to be aimed as the shot pattern is a tight one at home defense distances.
Not needing to aim a shotgun is a myth that could get you killed if you are not careful.

Shot gun pattern in home defense range, maybe 10 -15 feet.
Shot spread 1-2 inches.
Yes, aim the shotgun.

Personally, I agree with the shotgun for home defense... mine just happens to be a short one. :eek:) I have a Taurus Titanium Judge, .410/45LC. When I'm in bed, it's within a hands reach, in case of a night intruder. I have it loaded with one .410 #7 shot-shell, two personal defense .410 shells, and two .45 long colts. The first shot out will be the #7, which has a pattern about the size of a man's torso at 10 feet. I figure that shot will at least stun the BG, while I'm getting him in my sights for the home defense shells. The pattern for the disks in the personal defense shells is very close, about 1" to 2" or so at that distance, with the included B-Bs covering the torso. I don't figure after the first three shots that I'll need to use the .45LCs... but they'll be there if I need them.
When I'm not in bed, my EDC is on me at all times, except when in the shower.
I don't want to have to use either of them, but will if necessary. I refuse to allow my Sweetheart, or myself, to be victims.

That was fast. Thank you for you help and valuable input. I am considering a last resort gun for al of the members on my family to use. Shot gum might be a bit much for our littlest but she sure can shoot a pistol. I like the Idea of a revolver but its limited capacity (compared to pistols) is concerning. Safety and trainig will, of course, preceed the placement of this gun in our safe room.

You might be surprised in regards to the shotgun. I teach kids as young as 9 to shoot clays. Most 9 year olds don't have any trouble at all with a 20 gauge. You just need to find one that's relatively light.

I like a revolver for an inexperienced marksman because it's pretty much guaranteed to go bang at least six times. Even Glocks as reliable as they are jam from time to time. Lots of rounds in the mag don't help if it jams after the first one. Kids and wives (and even some men I've seen) sometimes have a hard time operating the slide.

That's just my take on it. I've been known to be wrong and what works for me might not work for you.
Heck buy one of each and then you'll have all the bases covered.

Who says that you'll be asleep, or even in the bedroom, and why aint your ccw gun enough for home defense?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back