Help with CCW .40

Many times a 22lr .25ACP, 32, .380 and other small calibers have successfully been used in a self-defense situation. Locally I recall one where a single round of 22lr rat shot stopped the attacker who was later arrested at the ER.

Many times a 22lr .25ACP, 32, .380 and other small calibers have successfully been used in a self-defense situation. Locally I recall one where a single round of 22lr rat shot stopped the attacker who was later arrested at the ER.

The plural of anecdote is NOT data

Then why bother loading the gun?

A loaded gun doesn't hinder the effectiveness of a weapons presence...while an unloaded gun does hinder a weapons effectiveness when it's presence isn't enough.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Loading the gun doesn't stop the effectiveness of a weapon which stops most attacks just by it's presence...while having an unloaded gun does hinder a firearm from being effective for all the other attacks that aren't stopped by the sight of the weapon.

Next time I get asked that question I just might still that answer

I went back and cleaned it up...hard to get the wording to sound strong.

JMO but the first draft was better.

How about "Having the weapon loaded doesn't diminish its effectiveness in a defensive display but having it unloaded does diminish its effectiveness when a defensive display isn't enough."

JMO but the first draft was better.

How about "Having the weapon loaded doesn't diminish its effectiveness in a defensive display but having it unloaded does diminish its effectiveness when a defensive display isn't enough."

All sound good to me :)

First .40 cal I shot was a G23. I didn't like it and it took me a few years before I shot a friends G22 and enjoyed it. Last Wednesday I shot his G27 with a Ghost Trigger and did very well with it. From about 25' I hit 2 golf balls and a 12 ga empty shell with it. It took one magazine to do it as one golf ball was hard to hit. I carry a Kahr PM45 and it shoots about the same as the Glock but is more easily concealed for me. Like others have said try several-all you can get your hands on. My other .45 is a Ruger. They make stout guns. So does Glock. So do others mentioned. Don't be in a hurry and find the one that fits your hand like it was made just for you and buy that one. After shooting it and the others.

After rereading some posts I'll reiterate: find the gun YOU shoot well and practice, practice, then practice. My choice is large caliber because I'm a "big boned" person and I do shoot it best. Then I practice some more. Part of my practice is standing still, the other is moving to cover, from cover, forward, backward and sideways. I shoot at a farm. At a range I'd be knocking down walls and they frown on that.

*Long sigh*

These caliber discussions will never end. OP, the best advice I can give is to carry the handgun that you're most comfortable and PROFICIENT with, regardless of caliber.

Now, with that said... you should aspire to attain those two things I mentioned with the biggest caliber you can. If it's 9x19, 10mm or .44mag, whatever, just get those two things nailed down.

As Chen was so kind to mention, basically, handgun rounds SUCK. Unfortunately, it's what most of us have to work with when going about our daily lives in public. There isn't sufficient energy available to be transferred to our target to count on any temporary wound cavity reliably disabling our foe (outside say, .44mag+ options). The permanent wound channel is our only savoir to rely on. Sometimes people get lucky, sometimes they don't... maybe your attacker will flee at the first sign of a confrontation or maybe the first round being fired will do it. Then again, maybe not.

Most people who get shot with handguns live to tell about it, thanks to seeking/receiving medical attention soon. That means, most of them were not permanently disabled or killed in the gunfight. Although, perhaps them being temporarily disabled was enough to allow the other guy to flee and live. That could be enough to save your life during a confrontation.

To finish, Chen nailed it when he said that more wounds in more places is better than fewer in fewer places. Unless you score a hit in a critical place like the CNS or a critical bone structure (think: shattering a pelvis), your attacker is going to be conscience and able to fight. Unconsciousness due to blood loss takes valuable time, sometime dozens of minutes, depending. The more leaks you can create (hopefully in the 'better' places), the more likely it is that your attacker will cease their attack sooner.

Train, train, and train some more. Train in as stressful an environment as possible, from every conceivable scenario. Pay attention to your surroundings, be vigilant and willing to do harm when it must be done. When it comes to that, be relentless in your resolve to win the fight.

I do love the Glock 23 also. I do have a Glock 23 now and love it. I also have a SIG P226 9mm that I love to shoot but would not carry due to the size. I am also thinking about trading the SIG in for a Glock 19. I bought the SIG 1989 and I've put maybe 250-300 rounds max through it and it looks brand new so I may do that too.

You will love the G19, I have both G19, 23 and the 27.

Looking for some help. I am looking to get a CCW in .40. I have been looking at the M&P Shield, M&P 40c, Springfield XD Mod2. Not looking to spend an arm and a leg. I carry a S&W 642 5 shot now but want something with some better stopping power. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The Bersa BP40 can be had for about $350.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLink Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back