Hello, New member here from ky!

Dvst8r

Saying hello. I'm Chaz, new to the site. I own a S&W Sigma 9mm. Just looking for some advice on a few questions. Kinda new to firearms and figured i'd ask.

1. was just wondering on how exactly ccw's work. I wanna carry my gun on my hip but I don't have my ccw (yet) and i didn't know if it was legal being on my hip and loaded without my ccw (I don't carry it at all now).

2. I want some opinions on a good holster. I want one thats hard plastic (formed?) and has a retention strap. Ive looked on ebay and google but just want some advice on a good one.

3. Im interested in a laser sight but but not nothing real expensive. Bass Pro has on for $25 but Im not sure it will work with the mount.

Well I hope some ppl reply and im looking forward to learn from this site. If it matters at all Im a moderator on Kyminis.com... It's a site for mintruckers and auto enthusiast. Thanks all.

Welcome to the forums and to firearms. The Number One best advice I can give you is find a knowledgeable CCDW instructor and take the class. Being new to firearms, you will learn a lot and they will be able to help you out in just about any category. Remember, Safety First! What part of the state are you in? One of my best friends is an instructor and he works in the Eastern and Central parts of the state. (Having said all that, here's my .2, from one Big Blue Fan to another. Unless you are a U of L fan, then you don't need a gun to begin with! HA!)

1. was just wondering on how exactly ccw's work. I wanna carry my gun on my hip but I don't have my ccw (yet) and i didn't know if it was legal being on my hip and loaded without my ccw (I don't carry it at all now). Open carry on the hip is legal in the Commonwealth as long as it can be seen and you are in an area where it is permitted. Depending on what part of the state you live in you may or may not have any trouble caring it. My best advice would be to just wait till you have your CCDW, so that way no one knows you have it and they are less likely to raise a stink. You can also carry your piece in you glove box, loaded and it is not considered concealed. On you hip, while in the car would be and you could be looking at trouble.

2. I want some opinions on a good holster. I want one thats hard plastic (formed?) and has a retention strap. Ive looked on ebay and google but just want some advice on a good one. Screw googles, (Just my opinion) If you are planning on caring daily, as I do, then go ahead and drop the money on a Cross Breed. I have had one for about 5 months now and love it! Makes daily carry of a .45 a breeze.

3. Im interested in a laser sight but but not nothing real expensive. Bass Pro has on for $25 but Im not sure it will work with the mount. Once again, you get what you pay for. If you are getting a Laser Sight for daily use, cheaper is not always better. Ya don't want it failing in a stress situation when it is needed most. But if it's just for Craps and Giggles, then $25 is not a bad price.

Thanks. I do plan on getting my ccdw soon i was just curious until then. But i think i miss read what you said... I can open carry my gun on my hip but it can't be loaded (without my ccdw)? Or was you saying i can carry it loaded on my hip just when im in the truck i have to have it in the glovebox? I'll prolly wait till my ccdw anyway.

Ive been researching and i have a few holsters in mind.
Link Removed
Link Removed

Im leaning more torwards the blackhawk. The laser sight is really just for fun. I did buy a rubber grip for it and its alot nicer then the stock hard plastic one. Im in the louisville area but im a UK fan for sure. Im actually about 5 miles south of louisville. Thanks for the info too!

dvst8r

20hq79c.jpg

All of Fat_Pac's advice is good.. You should follow it.

You can OC in any part of the state as there is a preemption law and except for courthouses, K-12 schools, federal property and detention centers, your good to go anywhere else.

Private property rules apply. "no firearms" signs carry no weight of law, you have to be asked to leave and then you must comply or face criminal trespass, but no weapon charge. "no concealed weapons" signs on state run facilities must be obeyed, just OC.

You are allowed to have your gun in your car on k-12 property and may only remove it for SD purposes.

Your gun can be loaded at all times without a permit.

A new law passed this last session that allows you to place your gun in ANY OEM compartment in your vehicle, it doesnt have to have a lid or a lock, BUT IT MUST BE OEM. Its no longer limited to just the glove box and the law took effect June 16th.

Your gun can also be on your dash or even on the seat AS LONG AS NO PART OF IT IS COVERED.

You can carry into bars, but it must be unloaded.

If you want to conceal, by all means get your CCDW, but you really dont need one in this state, its more a matter of convenience. We are working on constitutional carry so it may be pointless by this time next year to have one except for purposes of traveling to other states. Also there is a distinction with a CCDW as it allows you to carry ANY deadly weapon concealed and allows you to ignore local city or county ordinances regarding weapons other than a firearm.

As for the holster, Safariland is my personal preference.

Any more questions regarding local laws and such, go to the Kentucky section of Opencarry.org

Dvst8r:210508 said:
Wow thanks alot!

No problem. Also, although local LE is generally well informed, some might not be or others may try to tell you things that arent true. Especially considering how new the law is on OEM compartments, many may not even know yet. Just request they contact their shift supervisor and they will be set straight.

Also, you do not have to inform an officer in this state that you have a firearm, neither do you have to give it to them during a stop, in fact they are forbidden by law to do so. Neither are you required to submit to a search of either you or your vehicle merely for the possesion of a firearm.

Also NO ONE may tell you that you cant keep a firearm in your car, not even a private property owner. The only exception is the parking lot at a detention center I believe, but im uncertain about that one, best to err on the side of caution.

But always keep in mind that you cannot physically resist a LEO, only verbally. You can take them to the cleaners later in court, as has happened on a few occasions before.

Yes you happen to live in one of the best states if you want to carry a gun lol.

wow i didn't know about not having to let them know or about not having to give it to them. Anytime ive ever been stopped ive always been upfront with the cop so i'll continue to do so when i carry my gun. I think it is just easier and makes the situation better if i have nothing to hide.

And I do know how cops like to tell you things that may not be true thats why i want to know as much as i can when it comes to gun laws. I'd be pissed if a cop asked for my gun then i come to find out he wasn't supposed to lol. Oh i'm glad i live in ky too lol.

Dvst8r:210514 said:
wow i didn't know about not having to let them know or about not having to give it to them. Anytime ive ever been stopped ive always been upfront with the cop so i'll continue to do so when i carry my gun. I think it is just easier and makes the situation better if i have nothing to hide.

And I do know how cops like to tell you things that may not be true thats why i want to know as much as i can when it comes to gun laws. I'd be pissed if a cop asked for my gun then i come to find out he wasn't supposed to lol. Oh i'm glad i live in ky too lol.

...and its perfectly fine if you want to let them know, thats a personal choice. But as I said, if they insist you hand it over, comply and file charges in civil court for violating krs 237.104, criminal court for violating krs 522.020 and federal court for violating 42 USC 1983. Of course you can warn them of said violations beforehand and that usually does the trick.

advice

where are you located? Sigma requires an added attachment for a laser, unless you add one on the trigger...

To the OP, welcome to the forum. From Henderson here.

Also not to start any fires but I remember from my CCDW class the instructor stating we must inform an officer that we are carrying and show our permit. After reading this thread I went back and read the book we got with the class and it says you "SHOULD" tell the officer....hhmmm......tried searching KRS but to no avail. Anyone have any clarification on this with the code that says we do or do not have to inform? I have always been of a mindset that a) stay out of trouble and this becomes a nonissue and b) if I do happen to have a LEO encounter would probably go in my favor to inform. I do know that in a traffic stop once they run your plates it comes back that the registered owner has a CCDW.

Sorry for the highjack......and thanks.....GO CATS!!!!!

d-buck:210618 said:
To the OP, welcome to the forum. From Henderson here.

Also not to start any fires but I remember from my CCDW class the instructor stating we must inform an officer that we are carrying and show our permit. After reading this thread I went back and read the book we got with the class and it says you "SHOULD" tell the officer....hhmmm......tried searching KRS but to no avail. Anyone have any clarification on this with the code that says we do or do not have to inform? I have always been of a mindset that a) stay out of trouble and this becomes a nonissue and b) if I do happen to have a LEO encounter would probably go in my favor to inform. I do know that in a traffic stop once they run your plates it comes back that the registered owner has a CCDW.

Sorry for the highjack......and thanks.....GO CATS!!!!!

I already did clarify, you do not have to inform in the state of Kentucky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back