having stuff cached, 1 night's travel away, means BOB only needs to weigh 35 lbs.

thru

Banned
including 6 lbs of body armor. If you need to support a wife who's turned her ankle, or carry a kid, 70 lbs of gear is out of the question. So, it's best to just pick out what you'd jettison under those conditions,and figure out a way to do without it, right from the gate.. :) Also, have a pair of mountain bikes, and you are much less likely to hurt ankle or knee in the first place. I got a really nice bike at a pawn shop for $60. You need not care that it's made of steel and is 10 lbs heavier than the latest and greatest carbon fiber race bike.

Just because you HATE the thought of having to bugout does not change the fact that it CAN be necessary, and to not plan for that necessity means that you're not much of a prepper. Almost nothing can force you to move more than one night's travel on a mountain bike, most of it off road, much of the latter while walking alongside of the bike. Say, 15-20 miles. That will get you out of the city,. to the closest water source, almost certainly to some trees for shelter, fuel, concealment.

If you live in the prairie, swamps, "big snow" country, or desert, you might want to re-think the advisability continuing to have your home there. Without the modern conveniences of bug spray, netting, AC, central heat,electricity, fuel and water for the asking, some places can be a real horror to stay. When you are STUCK out there with the fire ants,skeeters, cold, deep snow, ticks, etc, for a year or more, many areas become very much "un-fun", not at all like your weekend forays into the nicest parts of the area, with the brush removed, bugs sprayed, ideal times of the year.

Survival Vests 101

what the hell are you carrying that your bob weighs 35 lbs?
My vest system weighs 25 lbs with a pistol and extra ammo for both rifle and pistol.
It is enough gear/food/medical supplies that I can live comfortably for 2-3 days and not so comfortably for up to a week, but alive and well none the less.
look at your bob and figure the maximum time you will spend away from supplies to achieve your objective, and then pack accordingly.

must haves are dry socks and underwear...

The average person should be able to carry at least their own body weight, not comfortably, but it should be a possibility. My gear will weigh about 25lbs, as a combat load. At least until I get my new toy =] Id suggest constructing a police style duty belt, get some concealable body armor and a few slings for ammo. I dont own an AR yet, so all of my 30/30 goes on my weapon or on a few slings. My shotgun ammo is on a sling and in an ammo box. Wont be hard for me to carry that. Water, theres plenty of small lakes and streams in my area, but I can carry at least 40lbs of it in my vehicle on the go. Food is mostly dry and canned, again, can go into a vehicle when needed. If needed, I can get to by bug out site on foot in no more than 5 days if needed. By car its looking like 2.5 hours.

Remove an hour's worth of travel for every ten lbs of extra weight you carry over 25-30 lbs. Also your water and caloric requrements sky rocket with more exertion. Hot spots and blisters become more crippling and rest cycles become more often required the harder you push.
A combat load is something guys in the field work up to with ruck marches and ruck runs.
I challenge any of you to grab your bob/vest and go for a stroll of 3-5 miles. You can simulate carrying your long arm with either a weighted walking stick or an ammo can filled to the appropriate weight with either sand or gravel.

Last summer I put in 3 miles every other day with my vest and a weighted walking stick.

It got hot, sweaty and miserable. But I knew I could do it.

I keep a GHB in every vehicle with enough provisions for me & my family to go 24-48hr. My primary BOL is my own home. So, that's the way I plan. (Once home I have provisions, shelter & protection.)

-

My primary BOL is my own home. -

I'm sorry, come again? You bug-out location is not your primary residence. Those are fundamentally contradictory things. Your bug-out location--by definition-- must be a location to which you bug-out; i.e. not your home.

I'm sorry, come again? You bug-out location is not your primary residence. Those are fundamentally contradictory things. Your bug-out location--by definition-- must be a location to which you bug-out; i.e. not your home.

I believe that was his point...he will "bug in".

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I believe that was his point...he will "bug in".

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Yeah, once you get to a certain age (not saying you're old, tcox) you say: "Eff it, it's here or nowhere."

That will get you out of the city,. to the closest water source, almost certainly to some trees for shelter, fuel, concealment.
But what if everyone else has the same idea? Wooded areas outside the city could become tent cities.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back