Having A Right To Carry Does Not Make You A LEO

White1

Grandfather, 72 shot dead in his own driveway by police while investigating neighbor's burglar alarm | Mail Online

This incident is a tragedy from top to bottom. For those of us who are civilians who own firearms, I think one lesson to be drawn is that you have to think very, very carefully before you inject yourself into a situation and try to help a third party. Among other things, you have to think about how you'll be perceived by responding officers, particularly by responding officers in the dark, who may be full of adrenaline, and who may or may not have much experience. I'm sure that Mr. Waller had the best of intentions but, in hindsight, it was not the best judgment to venture forth into the dark, weapon drawn, and with the police on their way.

I think it shows that you have to assume the cops will make the wrong assumption if they see you with a gun. That is a mind set that needs to change in law enforcement.

I think it shows that you have to assume the cops will make the wrong assumption if they see you with a gun. That is a mind set that needs to change in law enforcement.

I agree. The thing that pisses me off more is when they claim they followed all the proper procedures. Well, if they did then an innocent person would not have been killed but as usual the SOP is to blame the victim. This has to stop. I would bet a million dollars if the old man would have got the first shot off and lived he would have been charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

Police responding to the alarm instead went to Mr Waller's home, where they encountered him in his driveway and near the garage.

Did they get lost? They went to the wrong house, then killed an innocent man. There is a bit more to this than was told in the article.

You guys are not getting the message here. Don't go out into the yard, risk death, prison, lawsuits, etc, over a silly car, or what you have been stupid enough to leave in that car.

You guys are not getting the message here. Don't go out into the yard, risk death, prison, lawsuits, etc, over a silly car, or what you have been stupid enough to leave in that car.

Maybe we dont subscribe to YOUR kind of message...... Go post your defeatist crap somewhere else.... I will go outside armed ANY TIME I DARN WELL WANT TO, no matter what kind of idiotic crap you THINK I should do....

So you want the cops to assume that the guy coming at them with a gun is just a good samaritan? Does your brain hurt from lack of activity?

From the article:

"She said that she was told by the police that an officer asked Waller to put down the weapon, but he would not comply."

Sounds like a legit shoot to me. As unfortunate as it is for all concerned. If the police tell you to drop your weapon and you refuse to comply, you get what you got coming.

From the article:

"She said that she was told by the police that an officer asked Waller to put down the weapon, but he would not comply."

Sounds like a legit shoot to me. As unfortunate as it is for all concerned. If the police tell you to drop your weapon and you refuse to comply, you get what you got coming.

What, shot for NOT doing anything unlawful????? DONT EVEN TRY to tell us that it was a "lawful" order either, the cops were NOT on the right property... So, the FACT is, THE COPS should be charged with armed CRIMINAL TRESPASS and at the very least manslaughter!

In most states it is illegal to use deadly force to protect property (except Texas). There is no property that is worth your life. But also in the majority of states if the criminal enters your home the situation changes. The homeowner is allowed to assume a deadly threat to his life and use force in response. Massachusetts, Illinois, and I assume a few others are exceptions. But it is certainly to your advantage to find out the law. In many cases the LEO is under the same restrictions as an armed private citizen, although it may not work out that way in court.

I live on a farm in a very rural area. Most of the time the county only has one deputy on patrol, one at the jail, and one in the office. So in a county of 500 square miles there isn't much protection in the rural areas. If I need protection I know that I better be capable of providing for my own protection.

Texas has it right. We need the law to stop protecting the criminals. The PC soft on criminals attitude has only given us more criminals. Perhaps that is what the left/Dem's wants. Then they can sell more government.

I think the saying "no property is worth your life" is utter BS....... Yes, I get the meaning, but that the meaning isnt the point, it never was....The REAL point is, if it doesnt belong to you, dont screw with it if YOU arent willing to die for it...... The "laws" are bass-ackwards anymore, they protect the wrongdoer and inhibit the rightful among us...

There are two types of people this world would be better off without.... thieves and liars.... politicians are both and have legislated protection for those like them and punishment for common sense...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back