Hang on...the cops will be with you shortly.

JimTh

Banned
These guys took less than 30 seconds to kill one and seriously wound another.

Murder Investigation Video - Platanillos Grocery & Jewelry - YouTube

Here's the whole story. The only reason this is an interest to me is that this happened right up the road from me in a "safe" community. Me thinks it was a planned hit. I have always maintained that the cops don't have a dangerous job...store clerks working the night shift have a dangerous job yet are not allowed to protect their own lives. I have never seen a cop giving out a jaywalking ticket without a gun strapped to his side.

Fatal Store Shooting Victim Identified, With Video Footage of Suspects - Police & Fire - Woodbridge, VA Patch

I constantly hear of convenience store robberies where the clerk is shot even though they comply with the robber, including some locally. And what really gets me is that people still have the nerve to ask why I'd want to carry a gun. Are you kidding me?

I constantly hear of convenience store robberies where the clerk is shot even though they comply with the robber, including some locally. And what really gets me is that people still have the nerve to ask why I'd want to carry a gun. Are you kidding me?

Even the Dalai Lama, in an appearance in Portland, OR, in 2001 understood the need for self defense, although most of us would take issue with part of his stance. During a Q&A session, he was asked what he thought about being in a situation in which someone was shooting at you. "f someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, he said, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg."

Local News | Dalai Lama urges students to shape world | Seattle Times Newspaper

As I said, most of us will take issue with his final thought about shooting only to wound, as it is likely that the BG may still try to press home his attack, but the initial thought is certainly valid. It is a thought that was proposed long before by Thomas Paine in his letter to Pennsylvania Magazine, 1775, "Thoughts on Defensive War":

since some will not, others dare not lay them [weapons] aside. And while a single nation refuses to lay them down, itis proper that all should keep them up.

What is true of nations is also true of individuals. As long as there are those criminals who will not lay their weapons aside, it is proper that we should all keep ours at the ready.

Obama should have thought of this before promoting generals who would gut our military.

The problem is a lot of people who decide to carry do all the right things with respect to safety and legals, and make sure they are a responsible concealed (or otherwise) carrier. But once all that is said and done they strap a gun on their hip and think all their problems are solved. Why do I say that? Because in this situation, carrying a gun alone would not have saved anyone's life. As quickly as this happened, unless they took the time to stay alert to their surroundings and constantly keep tabs on what is going on around them, a gun would have done zero good. My rule of survival is that situational awareness comes first and foremost, and my firearm comes in a close second.

... My rule of survival is that situational awareness comes first and foremost, and my firearm comes in a close second.

Exactly why I'm doing my best to teach my sister all the awareness I can. She will absolutely not carry a gun, but she's in LA pretty often...

The problem is a lot of people who decide to carry do all the right things with respect to safety and legals, and make sure they are a responsible concealed (or otherwise) carrier. But once all that is said and done they strap a gun on their hip and think all their problems are solved. Why do I say that? Because in this situation, carrying a gun alone would not have saved anyone's life. As quickly as this happened, unless they took the time to stay alert to their surroundings and constantly keep tabs on what is going on around them, a gun would have done zero good. My rule of survival is that situational awareness comes first and foremost, and my firearm comes in a close second.

Amen. I've thought of that and realized that I can be surprise attacked and not a lot of good will my gun be.

f someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, he said, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg.

Re-read the above...
The big "D" says not to shoot at the head, where a fatal wound "might" occur...
I read that as shoot at everything else and if that wounding shot renders the BG dead (maybe from blood lose...), you technically followed his advice.... Just sayin..

Sent from behind enemy lines.

I have always maintained that the cops don't have a dangerous job...store clerks working the night shift have a dangerous job yet are not allowed to protect their own lives. I have never seen a cop giving out a jaywalking ticket without a gun strapped to his side.

I'll give you the fact that the clerk does not have a firearm and the cops do, but if you have ever been on a ride along with your local police and sat in the police car, as the officer pulls over a tinted windowed car at 11PM on a dark street and approaches the car, you might change your mind. Been there and done that and when he tells me how to use the radio, it wakes you up to some reality, as he walks over to the car with his firearm still in his holster, which is what he is suppose to do. Heck there are several Cops you tubes where officers are essentially assassinated or seriously wounded..

Why not shoot the gun, knife or club out of the BG's hand? :rolleyes: That will be next! The next step, the anti's will want us to "Just give the BG a hug!"

We should tell the anti's and the tree huggers to go hug a Polar Bear and then come back and tell us how that worked out!

I'll give you the fact that the clerk does not have a firearm and the cops do, but if you have ever been on a ride along with your local police and sat in the police car, as the officer pulls over a tinted windowed car at 11PM on a dark street and approaches the car, you might change your mind. Been there and done that and when he tells me how to use the radio, it wakes you up to some reality, as he walks over to the car with his firearm still in his holster, which is what he is suppose to do. Heck there are several Cops you tubes where officers are essentially assassinated or seriously wounded..

http://youtu.be/ADHoBijaqNU

After watching this, I make sure I'm ready to bail out of my car as soon as I get the car stopped.

The cop has a choice and radio if he feels in danger. Simply call for back up. The clerk has no such option available unless they call the day shift.

We should tell the anti's and the tree huggers to go hug a Polar Bear and then come back and tell us how that worked out!

Have you seen the movie Grizzly Man? One of the feel good movies of the century. Leftist lunatic unattached from reality thinks grizzly bears are lovable creatures and ends up getting mauled to death by them in the wild. You meant that as a joke but they already actually did it in real life except it was a grizzly instead of a polar bear.

The cop has a choice and radio if he feels in danger. Simply call for back up. The clerk has no such option available unless they call the day shift.
Most situations where an officer is killed or assaulted are ones where they thought they could handle it by themselves. Something like the simple traffic stop above. And there were even 2 cops there. So they didn't even think they needed backup until it was too late. Calling for backup afterwards is no different than a clerk calling 911 afterwards.

Have you seen the movie Grizzly Man? One of the feel good movies of the century. Leftist lunatic unattached from reality thinks grizzly bears are lovable creatures and ends up getting mauled to death by them in the wild. You meant that as a joke but they already actually did it in real life except it was a grizzly instead of a polar bear.

You're talking about Timothy Treadwell...a first class lefty loon. Someone in the documentary about him stated that Timothy wanted to become one with the bear, be a part of the bear. Well he ended up being bear s h i t...I guess that is as close as you can come to being part of the bear. The problem is that his over zealous thoughts got his girl friend ate as well.

Even the Dalai Lama, in an appearance in Portland, OR, in 2001 understood the need for self defense, although most of us would take issue with part of his stance. During a Q&A session, he was asked what he thought about being in a situation in which someone was shooting at you. "f someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, he said, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg."

Warning: the following is an attempt at irony and satire!

Well, I know you quick tempered blood thirsty bastards would totally lose touch with your inner child and over react by placing hollow points in his center mass just because a misguided and underserved lost soul of our society is trying to kill you with his gun because he's having a difficult day. You should consider using your weapon to rehabilitate him progressively by shooting him in his weak side pinky toe causing, him to ponder a life of limping. If he persists, shoot the diamond stud out of his strong side earlobe, committing him to a lifetime of an incomplete "bling" wardrobe and shame in front of his peers. Only if he persists should you punch his 10 ring with your favorite hollow points. I hope all will adopt this Dalai Lama modified self defense method for peace.

Choices & Consequences...that's what life (and death) is all about.

Yep. I wish she'd change her mind, but some people will never be willing to take a life, even if it means losing their own. I don't mind... I just don't think they get to make that choice for anyone else. (She does support me in carrying, for the record.) Luckily for her, she's crazy strong and very willing to fight until she's dead. She just won't use lethal force.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back