Had To Draw Tonight

This is a great example of why one should think twice before adopting the doctrine of drawing and shooting being one motion. Some believe that you shouldn't draw unless you HAVE to fire, and that these actions should be one thing. Others feel that drawing alone can defuse a situation and firing should be held to the act of last resort. I subscribe to the latter, and this experience is a great example as to why.

This is a great example of why one should think twice before adopting the doctrine of drawing and shooting being one motion. Some believe that you shouldn't draw unless you HAVE to fire, and that these actions should be one thing. Others feel that drawing alone can defuse a situation and firing should be held to the act of last resort. I subscribe to the latter, and this experience is a great example as to why.

Exactly what I was gonna write, Ektarr. Great minds think alike, I guess. :biggrin:

Well done, Sights on Target, you represented the carry community in fine fashion.

The vast majority of armed citizen self-defense confrontations are resolved without shots being fired..

bill

I took a half day from work today to get some things done that I had been putting off. I finished my "chores" early and decided to run to my office quickly to pick up my mail. My dog loves to go for car rides so I took her along. Keep in mind that my office's mail boxes are in a common lobby. I park right out front, roll the windows down about 3 inches so the beagle can't get out, and head into the lobby. Where I parked was in the shade and it was about 65 degrees outside. There were 2 other cars in the parking lot and 1 person sitting at a picnic table in the designated smoking spot. The offices were closed, but there are sometimes people working late here.

I was at my mailbox for literally not even a minute when I turned around and see a strange woman standing next to my car. I go outside and ask if I can help her.

Me: Can I help you with something?
Her: Are you crazy, do you want to kill your dog?
Me: No ma'am, I had to get my mail and the dog wanted to come with me. I was inside for less than a minute with the windows open, and I parked in the shade. (At this time I notice she is holding a tire iron.)
Her: I don't care, someone should take this dog away from you. (She throws her cigarette at me)
Me: I will be leaving now. My dog was not in any danger. The windows were down and I was inside for a minute. That is not illegal and once again I will be leaving.
Her: No, you should die for what you did to your dog. I'm should kill you and take her away from you.
Me: You need to back up (hand on my firearm at this point. She is really mad and screaming now. I am talking in a very calm voice.)
Her: No you dog abuser. You should die!- (she starts walking toward me with the tire iron in her hand.)

I draw to low ready and tell her to back up. She drops the tire iron and runs to her car and drives away I could not get a plate number. I call 911.

The police show up and I tell them what happened. Luckily the tire iron was still on the ground where she dropped it. I gave the police a description of the woman and her car. They feel she works in the same complex, but I have never seen her before. The police checked my permit to make sure it was valid, and checked my firearm. They said they would keep and eye out, but said I did nothing wrong and was justified in drawing. They handed me back my gun and the cartridges (wheelgun) and were on their way. At some point she mentioned she was with PETA, and this is not the first instance I have heard of things like this.

Overall, I am happy how I handled the situation, and the police were ok with it. They felt she was probably going to smash my window and take the dog, but I returned in time to stop her.
I'm glad you are ok . That person is a nut job ! I had to put my wheelgun under my leg in my car 1 week after I had my permit . That really shook me up . Glad I did not waste my time calling cop here in Henderson,Nv. mostly usless! That is the test of a lifetime my friend . Many including stories of leos can't draw and shoot and in turn ( sounds hard to believe with all their training) . Also love my wheelguns especially Ruger 2 and 3 inch I carry every day . God Bless and never hesitate to defend yourself or family or friends ! Rich of Henderson,Nv.

Sounds to me like you did fine. Sounds to me like the Cop thought you did fine, too. Crazy people is one of the reasons God made guns...good thing you were in a position to protect yourself and your dog...if that had happened to me, for example, here in New Jersey, you'd be reading about my statistic in the paper.
You got that right my friend !

Think i might have run into one or two of her buddies in the past. lol. You can't do enough to atisfy a peta person. I to have left my dog inside my van for moments here and there and am sure you know what your doing. Good job and don't ever back down. It just fuels a wacko's fire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back