gun registration, yes or no?

xd9.801

Just curious whats the difference between when i buy a new gun at the store and them knowing the serial number but then also handing me the form to "register" it. I got into a "discussion with my fiance today and she seems to feel i need to register my guns especially the ones i use to carry concealed but my opinion is its noones business what type or amount of guns i have. Ive gotten my ccw, been through all the background checks, etc. im just curious what the real difference is in "registering" them considering the stores i bought them from already have the serial numbers on recors. And is there an easy way to explain to her way im not registering any of my guns?

Contrary to the [intentionally] false impression conveyed by the various "Law & Orders" and "CSIs", most states DON'T require registration.

That's why your question is meaningless outside of the context of where you live.

In Ohio there are state and federal gun laws... PERIOD. There are NO other gun laws in Ohio.

There is no state registration. The only federal registration is of items which come under the National Firearms Act of 1934.

NOBODY below the state level is allowed to enforce their own gun laws. They can pass them, but they have NO force of law AT ALL. Trying to enforce them is actionable.

That means that in Ohio, unless you own a machine gun, short barreled long gun, or similar item, you CAN'T register it.

You don't say where you live, but don't fall into the trap of assuming that everybody else's gun laws are the same as yours.

Of course it's entirely possible that YOURS aren't what you think they are.

There is registering and then there is registering. In the first case it is just between you and the maker/distributor. In the second it is between you and the gov't. The first one is fine and it can do wonders if you have problems with the firearm. And sometimes get you freebies. The second one is the one you want to stay away from unless it is mandatory in your area. As Deanimator said, Ohio is state and Fed laws only. Florida is the same way. New York is a whole different ball of wax. Most states are taking away the gun laws from the counties and cities as they cause way to much problems for the citizens. And the courts lately have been smacking down the cities too.

And is there an easy way to explain to her way im not registering any of my guns?

In nearly all states, the form 4473 that you fill out for the background check which has the serial number of the gun on it is kept at the dealer and not sent to the government. In order to access the information on that form, a law enforcement agency must be looking for a particular gun for a specific reason - such as it was used to commit a crime with.

Gun registration is providing the government with the serial numbers and current owners of all firearms which the government can access anytime they want, for any reason they want.

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is not about self defense. It is about the right of the people to have the means available to them to protect themselves from the government should it become necessary. The 2nd Amendment must be read in light of the Declaration of Independence.

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

The 2nd Amendment:
Second Amendment | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia | LII / Legal Information Institute

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The "well regulated Militia" is nothing more than a group of citizens banding together for a common purpose. According to the Declaration of Independence, it is the duty of the citizen to band together to form a "well regulated militia" in the event that their government becomes tyrannical for the purpose of abolishing that government and establishing a new government of their own making, representative of the citizens, just like the founding fathers did. "Well regulated" does not mean government regulations concerning who can have what guns and where they can carry them and permit requirements. What "well regulated" means in the 2nd Amendment is regulated towards a common purpose - just like the high pressure air in a scuba diver's tank is "well regulated" so that the diver can use it to breathe. What better definition of "necessary to the security of a free State" could there be than that provided by our founding fathers in the Declaration of Independence? In order to be able to achieve that goal it is absolutely necessary that the right to bear arms of the citizens not be infringed upon by the government.

Given the actual reason for the Second Amendment, in light of the Declaration of Independence, it is clear to see that firearms registration - providing the government with a list of exactly who owns what guns - is completely, 100% contrary to it.

In nearly all states, the form 4473 that you fill out for the background check which has the serial number of the gun on it is kept at the dealer and not sent to the government. In order to access the information on that form, a law enforcement agency must be looking for a particular gun for a specific reason - such as it was used to commit a crime with.

Gun registration is providing the government with the serial numbers and current owners of all firearms which the government can access anytime they want, for any reason they want.

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is not about self defense. It is about the right of the people to have the means available to them to protect themselves from the government should it become necessary. The 2nd Amendment must be read in light of the Declaration of Independence.

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

The 2nd Amendment:
Second Amendment | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia | LII / Legal Information Institute

The "well regulated Militia" is nothing more than a group of citizens banding together for a common purpose. According to the Declaration of Independence, it is the duty of the citizen to band together to form a "well regulated militia" in the event that their government becomes tyrannical for the purpose of abolishing that government and establishing a new government of their own making, representative of the citizens, just like the founding fathers did. "Well regulated" does not mean government regulations concerning who can have what guns and where they can carry them and permit requirements. What "well regulated" means in the 2nd Amendment is regulated towards a common purpose - just like the high pressure air in a scuba diver's tank is "well regulated" so that the diver can use it to breathe. What better definition of "necessary to the security of a free State" could there be than that provided by our founding fathers in the Declaration of Independence? In order to be able to achieve that goal it is absolutely necessary that the right to bear arms of the citizens not be infringed upon by the government.

Given the actual reason for the Second Amendment, in light of the Declaration of Independence, it is clear to see that firearms registration - providing the government with a list of exactly who owns what guns - is completely, 100% contrary to it.

Sadly though, even though the Fed gov't is not supposed to keep a database of gun owners, all 4473s from defunct FFL gun shops end up in ATF's hands.

The NCIS show is bad for that, they always run the serial number and know who the gun was registered to. Lazy script writers, or is it the fact that most probably live and work in CA?

I'm sure most of the people actually believe this is factual representation.

There was a report on here a while back about a BATF agent going in to a gun shop on a regular (?) inspection. He brought a hand scanner with him and started scanning the 4473s for their files. The owner stopped him and told him he had no authority to copy those files. The agent became somewhat riled and threatened the owner with closure of his shop if he didn't let him copy them. The owner was adamant and refused to cooperate with the agent who then left the shop. Supposedly nothing ever came of the incident but it does show that the government will try anything in an effort to control us.

Looks like a troll post to me. The guy's standing there with this reg problem, and he doesn't come back on??? I don't think it's a serious post.

Looks like a troll post to me. The guy's standing there with this reg problem, and he doesn't come back on??? I don't think it's a serious post.

Yeah, I mean after all, he's had a whole, entire 12 hours to respond since his op.... what's the time limit for a troll? 4 hours? 6 hours? Dang, where did I put my internet users' handbook, I think it was on page 2,793.

Just curious whats the difference between when i buy a new gun at the store and them knowing the serial number but then also handing me the form to "register" it. I got into a "discussion with my fiance today and she seems to feel i need to register my guns especially the ones i use to carry concealed but my opinion is its noones business what type or amount of guns i have. Ive gotten my ccw, been through all the background checks, etc. im just curious what the real difference is in "registering" them considering the stores i bought them from already have the serial numbers on recors. And is there an easy way to explain to her way im not registering any of my guns?
I suspect that if I went to the sheriff to register my guns, he would look at me like I had two heads.

One county in the state did require gun registration (Durham county, NC), but the state legislature pass a bill this year that did away with that hold over from the Jim Crow era.

The NCIS show is bad for that, they always run the serial number and know who the gun was registered to. Lazy script writers, or is it the fact that most probably live and work in CA?

I'm sure most of the people actually believe this is factual representation.
You really can't believe a single thing on the NCIS show. First of all, they have the office placed in the wrong place - NCIS HQ in on Marine Corps Base Quantico, co-located with AFOSI and Army CID - Not in the Navy Yard. It goes downhill from there. So I suspend disbelief and just enjoy the drama and the hot chick agent. And Abby.

Gun registration by government = bad thing. Period.

In Michigan we are required to register handguns, but not long guns or black powder guns. However, there is a movement afoot to expand registration to long guns as well, which we are fighting tooth and nail.

You: "Honey, its just like forcing a woman to list her name and home address on a national government registry every time she purchases the morning after pill- a registry that officials who lobby against it- would surely access."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back