Gun Permit

hernandez.amie

Hey everyone, first post here. I'm interested in getting my permit, as I plan on becoming a police officer one day.

I live in FL, and had a slight confusion when it comes to getting a gun permit.

I know I have to go and get a permit in order to purchase a gun(?), but was told that I don't need to get a permit in order to carry it, as I don't plan on carrying it in public any time soon. Sorry if I'm not making any sense.

Also, off topic, what's a good handgun for someone "inexperienced"?

Laws vary from state to state. The "I have heard" just might land you in jail for the night, have your gun confiscated, and may prevent you from ever becoming a cop.

I won't quote FL law, but I know that FL does not allow open carry, and that to conceal carry you must have a carry permit.

Also, there is no 'learner' gun. Guns don't have training wheels, and can be deadly when not handled correctly. Go to a range that rents guns, rent different types, and most important get some instruction.

Hey everyone, first post here. I'm interested in getting my permit, as I plan on becoming a police officer one day.

I live in FL, and had a slight confusion when it comes to getting a gun permit.

I know I have to go and get a permit in order to purchase a gun(?), but was told that I don't need to get a permit in order to carry it, as I don't plan on carrying it in public any time soon. Sorry if I'm not making any sense.

Also, off topic, what's a good handgun for someone "inexperienced"?

here is all the info you will need about obtaining a CWFL
Link Removed

as for your being confused, I agree!

you do NOT have to get any kind of purchase order to buy a weapon in FLA. you MUST have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in FLA a permit is not required to have a weapon in your home or in a car

Laws vary from state to state. The "I have heard" just might land you in jail for the night, have your gun confiscated, and may prevent you from ever becoming a cop.

I won't quote FL law, but I know that FL does not allow open carry, and that to conceal carry you must have a carry permit.

Also, there is no 'learner' gun. Guns don't have training wheels, and can be deadly when not handled correctly. Go to a range that rents guns, rent different types, and most important get some instruction.

Nothing can be added to this good info. Read and heed.

It's very similar in GA, you don't need a Concealed Carry Permit to purchase a gun, but it does speed the process along because it skips the background check part of the process. As for which gun to purchase, visit a local gun shop that has a range, they will probably have rental guns you can try before you buy.

In FL you don't need a permit to purchase a pistol but if you don't have a permit you have to wait 3 days after purchase to take it home.
In order to conceal carry a pistol you MUST have a permit or you will wind up in jail.
If you are transporting the pistol to and from the place you bought it, the range, or your house you don't need a permit but you can not carry it concealed. It should be in a case like the case you bought it in, a range bag, zipper bag, etc

In FL you don't need a permit to purchase a pistol but if you don't have a permit you have to wait 3 days after purchase to take it home.
In order to conceal carry a pistol you MUST have a permit or you will wind up in jail.
If you are transporting the pistol to and from the place you bought it, the range, or your house you don't need a permit but you can not carry it concealed. It should be in a case like the case you bought it in, a range bag, zipper bag, etc
not quite right, you can transport your loaded weapon inside you car, no case necessary

not quite right, you can transport your loaded weapon inside you car, no case necessary

Yup, you're right I was just talking about carrying on your person. If you want to take your pistol from your car to your house, or from the car to the range it has to be in a case.

You can store a gun in your car without a permit.
For it to be in your car it must be securely encased in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

i live in florida. i went to a gun show to take the ccwp class a lady cop convinced me it was a good idea.......they will tell you everything you need to know about the gun laws in class and give you pamplets with all the statutes pertaining to your permit as well...as far as what kind of gun you want is up to what you feel comfortable handling and carrying and be sure to get a good holster.....best wishes i hope you don't end up being a rogue cop florida has enough of that kind already ..we need real oathkeeper cops that will not fire on innocent non violent citizens........

Take the CCW class, they will instruct you on what you need to know, depending on where you take it some gun stores/ranges rent guns, then you will know whats legal and whats not and what you can and cant do,

OK, I'm a firearm Instructor, so I'll tell you what I know about Florida. You need to get some firearm training, where you can obtain a certificate showing what you learned. I would suggest the NRA basic Pistol, or the personal Defense outside the home. Once you complete that then you can send a copy of the certificate with your application for your permit. You will need that class. Just find a good Instructor , andyyou'll be OK.

OK, I'm a firearm Instructor, so I'll tell you what I know about Florida. You need to get some firearm training, where you can obtain a certificate showing what you learned. I would suggest the NRA basic Pistol, or the personal Defense outside the home. Once you complete that then you can send a copy of the certificate with your application for your permit. You will need that class. Just find a good Instructor , andyyou'll be OK.

not 100% correct, a dd214 would cover the "training" requirement.
if you do go the "training" route the certificate doesn't have to list what you "learned". there are many 2 hour classes at gun show where they crank out dozens of "qualified" concealed carriers

Would this be fine? The three or four people I've talked to all recommended this place (Link Removed), and they also have a self-defense class.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back