gun ownership questioned by doctor???

Just because they are doctors does not mean they are smart.

Do you know what they call the medical student who graduated LAST in his/her class??
wait for it...

Doctor!

My GP MD is a professional clay pigeon champion shooter. And is sponsored by Remington. No problem here. LOL

It's a common question, I reply NO and move on....Even though I'm generally carrying at the time....The first time I was asked, I replied with "how does that pertain to my daughters sore throat?"

They ask a lot of new questions about safety in general (or perceived safety).My yearly last month included do I ride a bicycle,do I wear a helmet,do I feel safe in my home (hell yea I'm armed) and some other odd questions.He said it was an HMO thing when I looked at him oddly.He's my regular doc and a nice guy.He didn't have to ask the gun question,my empty holster was hard to miss.

I have several physicans and none of them have ever asked that question. Actually two are pistol owners and love to shoot.

If my doctor ever asks me that question I might respond with something like "just a BFG 9000, does that count?"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

It would be none of her business and I would have grabbed my kids and left then and there. ��
Not so fast...I believe mmix71 did the right thing and stayed then think of getting a new doctor. You can't be outrightly rude. If people will take their time like the original poster, then one can think straight and plan the next move instead of exploding right then and there. Don't blame me -- mebrains just built this way.

So we take our kids to the Dr today for a checkup. Same office , new Dr. She asks us all the normal family medical history stuff, no biggie. She then proceeds to ask us if we keep guns in our home. WTF??? I ignored the queston (even though I was carrying at that time), and she proceeded to give me a 5 minute lecture on gun safety, and how anyone who I invite into my home has a right to know I keep a gun in my home. I think it is time for a new Dr.....any thoughts or reason I am unaware of as to why this is now so common

I think you're about right! Its time for a new Doctor. She went too far with her advice!!!!!!

The doctor asking this type of question is probably the doctor that voted for King Obummer.
I would have stayed in the office only long enough to tell her to KMA.

This same thing happened to a fellow gun owner friend of mine who happens to be a state trooper! Of course he has a gun at home and it never leaves his side! We shared the same pediatrician. Long story short, we both have new doctors especially when the that same doctor inquires about my daughter's sexual activity and offers birth control when she's 11 years old. This was done without my wife or me present at the time. Lesson? Stay involved in EVERY aspect of your child's lives no matter what the environment.

doctor inquires about my daughter's sexual activity and offers birth control when she's 11 years old. This was done without my wife or me present at the time. Lesson? Stay involved in EVERY aspect of your child's lives no matter what the environment.

Seriously? That's f`d up! Kind of sexual harassment... no one has the right to talk to my children like that while I'm no not around.
But it is time for a new doc. Here in the rm pit of the mid west I don't think I've heard any thing about Dr asking questions about firearms.

What insurance do you have? I believe that those questions are for Medicare, Medicaid, and the VA as a part of Obama care. Did the Dr ask you questions about stress or any other personal questions too?

I go to the VA and use Medicare. I have never been asked.

The questions regarding firearms fall under a section of the well child visit called "anticipatory guidance". The American Academy of Pediatrics publishes guidelines for this under the "Link Removed" program. It is intended to be a comprehensive, methodical and evidence based method for counseling parents on issues they may need to address as their children age. The above link contains the reference cards for each "well child" visit and the topics that should be covered in each visit.

The question that often come up when discussing sensitive topics like this is how the discussion is documented in the medical record. The usual method is a statement like this "Discussed anticipatory guidance topics in accordance with AAP Bright Futures and usual and customary practice. Topics discussed include but not limited to (insert topics discussed)." The exact nature of the discussion and answers given by patients and their parents are rarely recorded.

As has been previously noted in some states it is illegal to record the answers to questions relating to firearms ownership. I cannot recall ever seeing direct answers to these sorts of questions documented except in the case of patients with documented suicidal or homicidal ideation. (In that isolated case the answers have a direct effect on liability of the physician. Discharging a potentially violent, suicidal or recently suicidal patient to a home situation with ready access to firearms is rarely a good idea, civil courts frown on the practice.)

I have posted in the past about the inadequate and incestuous nature of the public health literature when it comes to the topic of firearm ownership. As has been noted very few physicians have significant training in the safe handling and storage of firearms. I do have a presentation I make for colleagues on the subject but learning firearms safety is really a lifestyle choice it is something that must be lived to be properly understood. It cannot be absorbed in a one hour noon conference.

Before leaving, politely ask the doctor is she was born mentally retarded or if there was some kind of serious accident that made her that way.

11 years old is a little young to discuss sexual activity but not by much. In recent years, due to a combination of factors including obesity and the propagation of hormones in our food and water, puberty has been starting significantly earlier than in years past. It is not unknown for puberty to begin as young as age 6, with 8-10 being average. Along with this there has been some Link Removedin the sociology literature regarding the sexual activity of preteens and young teens. Depending on the source 2-4% of 12 year olds have had some form of sexual experience. This may not seem like much but it amounts to quite a few patients per year in a large group practice. I once again refer you to the "bright futures" program I linked in my earlier post. You will see that the first mention of sexual activity is for the 11-14 year old age group It is because of these data that those questions appear for this age group.

It is my usual practice to begin asking parents to excuse themselves from the exam room for a short talk about sensitive topics that pediatric patients may not feel comfortable about discussing in front of their parents at around age 14 or 15. During this time I ALWAYS have another medical professional in the room of the same gender as the patient. This is to protect both me and the child from anything untoward. During these discussions I also always encourage the patient to develop an open and trusting relationship with their parent(s) and never do I encourage the keeping of secrets.

It is the privilege and burden of the medical profession to be privy to many of the most horrible acts of depravity that humans can commit. Sexual activity at age 11 (or younger) is rare but does occur. I have referred children younger than 13 for treatment for cervical cancer (sexually transmitted). While it is certainly your right as a parent to find another physician for whatever reason you choose, you or your insurance company pay your doctors to provide the best care for your children. We as physicians must determine the best and most appropriate means of providing that care. To ascribe ulterior or malicious intent (to say nothing of mental retardation) is to do a great disservice to the profession of medicine.

wtf is wrong with just saying none of your business and continuing on with the visit? You people who want to jump up, curse the dr, whatever, should taken emotional toughness lessons, if such a thing exists. Stop being so sensitive.
I really worry about anyone that sensitive to words, carrying guns.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back