Gun in golve box

bdlove

Gun in glove box

Hi all! I am new to the forums and received my SC CWP about three weeks ago. I will be traveling through NC soon and was wondering since I have a CWP can I travel with my firearm in the glovebox? Thanks in advance!

Hi all! I am new to the forums and received my SC CWP about three weeks ago. I will be traveling through NC soon and was wondering since I have a CWP can I travel with my firearm in the glovebox? Thanks in advance!

NC honors the SC license...as such, IMHO, you can pretty much carry the anywhere in the car...

i was thinking that too but the laws in nc aren't very clear. or at least not to ME. ill prolly just carry on my person to be on the safe side.

I'd carry on or near my person while driving through N.C. and not in the glove box...

too iffy if an N.C. LEO questions it... especially if you have a passenger in the car.

i was thinking that too but the laws in nc aren't very clear. or at least not to ME. ill prolly just carry on my person to be on the safe side.

With a NC CHP(or reciprocated one like your SC CWP) you can have the gun any place. I personally have mine in a holster under the steering column when in the vehicle.

As per NC law you have to notify LEO personnel that you have a carry. I just lay mine onto the dash where it is in plain sight. LOL, we were stopped in Charlotte on 74 and laid three onto the dash. The city kity stayed in his car and soon three other cruisers "surrounded" us. After they reasoned that we were no threat everything calmed down. Some 45 minutes later we were given back our shooters and told to put them into the trunk. I told them that I would not think of traveling in Charlotte unarmed and that they would go right back into the auto with us. They asked us not to reload until they left the parking lot. They did and we did. Nice cops but it was aggravating to begin with. They seemed to get all excited about us having over 500 rds of various types of ammo scattered about--lol.

I have been pulled over with mine in the glove box and after informing him of my permit and wheere it was all the officer asked was that i leave it there during the stop. since my registration and insurance was also there, all he asked to see was my license

Just to clarify-in SC the gun has to be in the dash, console, or carrier and preferably locked. In NC it is required to be in the open(not concealed)--unless you have a CCP. Still you are under obligation to inform them of it's presence and show your card. NC is a very gun friendly state--except for a few anal orifices but they are few and far between. One stopped me many yrs ago(a new HP) and chewed on me for carrying(had it on the dash). I chewed him right back and told him it was for my protection, my families,and his if necessary. I also told him that I was going to register a complaint with his troop commander(good friend) and the state commander--which I did. I ticked him off too much for he is the only HP that has ever written me a ticket. Thankfully he has retired--but now is a deputy in our county. The sheriff is a good friend(the old HP commander) and if he starts giving me some grief he will probably be short lived as his deputy. Especially if I bring up his ticket history--and his girlfriends name to his wife.

Just to clarify-in SC the gun has to be in the dash, console, or carrier and preferably locked.

Unless I'm mistaken - certainly a possibility - the firearm has to be in a console or glovebox that has a latch, but it doesn't have to be locked...just latched. Also, no CCW license is necessary to enjoy this permission.

Unless I'm mistaken - certainly a possibility - the firearm has to be in a console or glovebox that has a latch, but it doesn't have to be locked...just latched. Also, no CCW license is necessary to enjoy this permission.

Correct. If you do not have a CWP you can carry in the Glovebox, or console loaded or unloaded. You can also carry in the trun. In the luggage area (Such as behind the rear seat in a SUV) it has to be in a case with a fastener. (A zipper is fine) No lock is necessary and may be loaded or unloaded. This is for handguns. You may also carry while hunting or fishing and on the way to and from hunting or fishing as long as you have a hunting or fishing license. This is a very broad field and there is no real guidelines on it but I would refrain from OC in Wal-Mart while stopping by on the way to your fishing spot but that could be one inyterpretation of the law.

For long guns there are very few restrictions that I can find and they deal with certain hunting laws rather than carry laws.

If you have a CWP you can carry on your person in the car. SC is a must notify state if you have a CWP and are carrying on your person.

One other comment is you can carry open or concealed, loaded or unloaded on your own property or other private property as long as you have permission of the land owner or person in charge. This includes your home, farm, or other property as well as your real place of business.

Correct. If you do not have a CWP you can carry in the Glovebox, or console loaded or unloaded. You can also carry in the trun. In the luggage area (Such as behind the rear seat in a SUV) it has to be in a case with a fastener. (A zipper is fine) No lock is necessary and may be loaded or unloaded. This is for handguns. You may also carry while hunting or fishing and on the way to and from hunting or fishing as long as you have a hunting or fishing license. This is a very broad field and there is no real guidelines on it but I would refrain from OC in Wal-Mart while stopping by on the way to your fishing spot but that could be one inyterpretation of the law.

For long guns there are very few restrictions that I can find and they deal with certain hunting laws rather than carry laws.

If you have a CWP you can carry on your person in the car. SC is a must notify state if you have a CWP and are carrying on your person.

One other comment is you can carry open or concealed, loaded or unloaded on your own property or other private property as long as you have permission of the land owner or person in charge. This includes your home, farm, or other property as well as your real place of business.

So if carrying w/o permit in one of the above mentioned off-person secured locations...one does NOT have to inform?

So if carrying w/o permit in one of the above mentioned off-person secured locations...one does NOT have to inform?

Legally you do not have to inform under those circumstances. However I would avise if there is any chance of the officer seeing it such as reaching for your registration that you tell him in advance.

I believe that is correct, WITH the permit you can have it there. Without you can not since that would no longer be seen as OC.

whoa whoa whoa, in SC carrying a gun in the glove-box is cool, even W/O a CCW. NOT THE CASE IN NC. if you dont have a CCW and have a gun in the glove-box thats considered concealing a firearm w/o a licence.

and another thing, IMHO puttin a gun on the dash when you get pulled over is never a good idea, the cop sees you fumbling with a gun, hes gonna freak.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back