Gun Delivered to the Wrong Address, Really FedEx?

Eirik

Not trying to vent, but maybe I am. I received my Glock 23gen4 back today after Glock replaced a faulty extractor, which they replaced at no charge (besides the $80 I had to spend to ship the gun to them). Up to this point I would say I have had a pleasant experience. However, how the pistol was returned to me was not. I got my package today not from the FedEx delivery man, but instead from a gentleman I have never met before who lives a couple blocks away. FexEx delivered the package to this gentleman, at the wrong address and they didn't require a signature, FedEx says Glock did not request the package needed to be signed for.

I am sure this has happend before, but the thought of a handgun registered to me being delivered to a wrong address, who could potentially have performed violent acts, I'm floored. My greatest anger at the situation came when the manager from FedEx contact me, he said was apologetic about the situation of "such an expensive item" as that being delivered to the wrong house. With all the thoughts behind this, the cost of the gun didn't even enter into my mind. The thought about some criminal shooting someone and then dropping the gun leading law enforcement to come to me because I am the legal registrant entered my mind, or of some child opening the package and finding a fully functional handgun.

So I am thankful that I it got delivered to a decent guy who did the right thing and returned it to the proper address (I will be buying him a 12 pack that's for sure). But I am thoroughly disappointed with FedEx. I intend on getting ahold of Glock's customer service tomorrow and find out why the heck they sent a firearm without a signature requirement.

Call Glock and ask them if they would pay your legal bills if that gun was used ina s

Not trying to vent, but maybe I am. I received my Glock 23gen4 back today after Glock replaced a faulty extractor, which they replaced at no charge (besides the $80 I had to spend to ship the gun to them). Up to this point I would say I have had a pleasant experience. However, how the pistol was returned to me was not. I got my package today not from the FedEx delivery man, but instead from a gentleman I have never met before who lives a couple blocks away. FexEx delivered the package to this gentleman, at the wrong address and they didn't require a signature, FedEx says Glock did not request the package needed to be signed for.

I am sure this has happend before, but the thought of a handgun registered to me being delivered to a wrong address, who could potentially have performed violent acts, I'm floored. My greatest anger at the situation came when the manager from FedEx contact me, he said was apologetic about the situation of "such an expensive item" as that being delivered to the wrong house. With all the thoughts behind this, the cost of the gun didn't even enter into my mind. The thought about some criminal shooting someone and then dropping the gun leading law enforcement to come to me because I am the legal registrant entered my mind, or of some child opening the package and finding a fully functional handgun.

So I am thankful that I it got delivered to a decent guy who did the right thing and returned it to the proper address (I will be buying him a 12 pack that's for sure). But I am thoroughly disappointed with FedEx. I intend on getting ahold of Glock's customer service tomorrow and find out why the heck they sent a firearm without a signature requirement.

Call Glock and ask them if they would pay your legal bills if that gun was used in a shooting. Then have them
refund your eighty dollars for your mishap. believe me they will get with fed-ex and refund your money!

That's a scary situation that turned out well, in spite of the pitfalls. I'd definitely be talking to a live person at Glock.
I hope they reply sensibly in hard copy. That's more than legislators do. :)

IF Glock doesn't inform FedEx that there is a firearm in the box... how would they know? I know for a fact that FedEx requires an over 21 signature on ALL firearms including BB guns! (Tried to deliver one three times with no luck, sent back to shipper) BUT THEY HAVE TO KNOW WHAT IS INSIDE FIRST! You're beef is with Glock.

Actually there is a problem with FedEx here. They flat out failed to properly deliver the package. The fact that it was a gun just multiplies the error. You're right you are lucky someone decent realized the error and brought it to you. I also agree that the real issue is with Glock not declaring the contents of the shipment, who knows if the driver would have paid more attention knowing the contents.

Actually there is a problem with FedEx here. They flat out failed to properly deliver the package. The fact that it was a gun just multiplies the error. You're right you are lucky someone decent realized the error and brought it to you. I also agree that the real issue is with Glock not declaring the contents of the shipment, who knows if the driver would have paid more attention knowing the contents.

How would the driver know the contents, even if Glock did declare the package contained a gun to FEDEX?

Federal law, 18 USC 922 (e):
18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

If Glock did follow Federal law and inform FEDEX in writing that the package contained a firearm, then FEDEX violated Federal law:

(f)
(1) It shall be unlawful for any common or contract carrier to transport or deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that the shipment, transportation, or receipt thereof would be in violation of the provisions of this chapter.
(2) It shall be unlawful for any common or contract carrier to deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other container in which there is a firearm.

Clearly, someone violated Federal law, either Glock by not informing the carrier IN WRITING the package contained a firearm; or FEDEX if they received notification but did not require an adult signature. In either case, the driver should NEVER know there is a firearm in the package, he/she should only know that it requires an adult signature.

About 25 years ago when I had my shop I had two similar incidents happen but they were with UPS.

First time I had a case (12) Mak90's come in . The red sticker was on the box which ID'd it as firearms. A substitute driver was doing the route that day and since he came by when I was closed. He went around to the back of the shop and left the package that contained 12 MAK90's under a picnic table behind the shop by the back door.imagine if some body came down that back alley and grabbed that box!!!!

Second time, by the wisdom of my county a diner opened up under the same business name as my shop as I was soon to find out! I had ordered 12 PA-63's in 380 acp. Back then they were $89 each when buying 12 or more. After 2 weeks I never received them and contacted the company to see where they were. They claimed they were delivered and provided the tracking number. I stopped by that diner and asked them if they had received anything from UPS recently that they didn't order.The owner or manager took me into the back office and picked up a box from under the desk and asked me if this was what I was looking for? He stated that he could not figure out why they received them, but then again he never contacted UPS to return them. It was my case of PA-63's!! The case had my correct business name and address on the box and that diner was clear on the other side of town with a different zip code!

I've had so many bad experiences with FedEx that I'll make an effort not to use any retailer or service that utilizes them if at all possible. I look for UPS, DHL, or USPS.

+1
I use ONLY UPS and never FedEx for all my firearms shipments - if they don't ship UPS, I don't buy. The UPS guy knows me and we occasionally talk for a few minutes if he has time. The FedEx guy is usually a different one every other time.

I've never had to ship a firearm back for repair, but I thought they couldn't ship back to you, that it had to go through an FFL.

No, there's an exemption for a gunsmith/manufacturer returning a firearm they've worked on to its original owner, can do it across state lines door to door, no FFL transfer is required because the gun was never really 'transferred' to the gunsmith/manufacturer. However one would hope they do a better job returning it, sending it to the wrong guy WOULD be an illegal transfer.

I've never had to ship a firearm back for repair, but I thought they couldn't ship back to you, that it had to go through an FFL.

If it is the same firearm just repaired they can send it direct back to you. If they replace it with a new one it must go to an FFL. Ruger replaced mine paid shipping both ways and refunded my FFL fee.

So an update. I called Glock today ready to rip them up one side and down the other only to find out that Glock sent it out requiring an adult signature. The manager at FedEx had lied to me saying that it wasn't sent requiring one. I called FedEx back and talked to the supervisor of the man who lied to me, letting them know about the entire situation and how thoroughly disgusted at the situation I was, they seemed to listen. I'm not going to pursue this any further, it's done and you can't un-crack an egg. Hopefully this will lead to something being done internally at that FedEx location, but I'm a realist and figure my complaint got filed in the trash the moment I hung up.

If they replace it with a new one it must go to an FFL.

Incorrect. A new replacement firearms does NOT have to go to an FFL (at least at the Federal law level).

18 USC 922 (a)(2):
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

(a) It shall be unlawful—
(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that—
(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;

That's a scary situation that turned out well, in spite of the pitfalls. I'd definitely be talking to a live person at Glock.
I hope they reply sensibly in hard copy. That's more than legislators do. :)

It's funny you say that. My Senator Boozman has sent me 2 letters, not as many I've sent him though!

It's funny you say that. My Senator Boozman has sent me 2 letters, not as many I've sent him though!

Oh, I've gotten several hard copy letters from legislators. The only thing wrong is they never address the grievance, or main subject, of the letter they are replying to. It is always another of the type that I call a Potomac Putoff...

I should have clarified that in my post. :)

Oh, I've gotten several hard copy letters from legislators. The only thing wrong is they never address the grievance, or main subject, of the letter they are replying to. It is always another of the type that I call a Potomac Putoff...

I should have clarified that in my post. :)

Yeah, pretty much. He did sign it thou. If you call that scrawl a signature.

I've seen a number of blogs that indicate a problem with FedEx. They've indicated they ordered ammo from the DCM and found it outside of their apt. bldg. They left them on porches withour a signature. All items from DCM have to be signed for by an adult. I did receive my M1 Garand form FedEx, but if I hadn't rushed from my bathroom to answer the apt. front door I always wonder what would have had happened. I once got a third notice from FedEx and had to drive 25 miles to pick up my reloading tools. I never received a 1st or 2nd notice. I've never had a problem with UPS. They always leave a note. (p.s. I don't work for UPS).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back