Got Stopped Sunday 7.06-Spartanburg, SC

mappow

80 mph in a 60 on I-85 north bound. Gee, coming over the hill there was 5 other vehicles with blue lights flashing writing speeding tickets. The SCHP trooper was courteous and professional. I was really thinking of giving him a long story about my support of LEO's and originally living in SC but where I pulled off was tight, to say the least, for officer safety.
I informed of my CC'ing, he said fine but "please leave your weapon holstered" after reporting where the weapon was located. He reduced my fine by a hundred dollars and I was on my way.
Summery;
Professional stop.
Professional attitude
My CC'ing was not an issue.
Was I speeding? YES
Is 60 mph in a four lane interstate inane...YES. They probably made 10K in a couple hours.
Was I wrong for exceeding the speed limit? YES
OK, first ticket in better then 25 years. I can live with that.
Kudo's to SCHP, at least for their professional attitude and process.

Hopefully he reduced the speed to less than 15 over. Won't show as an insurance ding to raise your rates. At least it won't here in AR.

Got lucky away. Some states consider 20 miles an hour over the speed limit is reckless driving that would have been a big ouch!

Howdy,

I've been stopped numerous times down through the years while CCWing and have never had an issue.

Yeah, when you get popped for speeding just suck it up and go on and think about all the times that you've sped and DIDN'T get caught.

I got caught in a similar speed trap in WA St. Back in the 80's. I was on I-5 northbound in a 65mph speed limit zone and was doing 67-68ish, on the side of the interstate in the middle of a sharp bind curve there were two WA St. troopers on motorcycles with radar guns standing next to a portable 45mph sign and they were motioning everybody to pull over to the shoulder for a ticket. There were probably 20 vehicles and 3-4 troopers handing out tickets. One had stopped at the car behind mine and the next trooper walked passed my car and started writing a ticket to the car in front of mine. Then the trooper that's was writing a ticket to the car behind mine was finished, she walked past my car and went to the car the was 2 cars ahead of mine. The car behind mine pulled out onto I-5 and there wasn't anymore cars or troopers behind where I was parked I pulled out on I-5 and drove away too.

That was Christmas Eve 1988 so I figured it was my Christmas present from the State of Washington.

Paul

Getting caught speeding is one thing, getting caught in a speed trap is another.. I dont tolerate speed traps myself..... If you intentionally make the limit slower than it safely needs to be and dont give people enough time to slow down (enough distance to just let off accelerator vs hitting the brakes) than normal, then you are acting dishonestly and deserve neither respect or a paid fine.....

Getting caught speeding is one thing, getting caught in a speed trap is another.. I dont tolerate speed traps myself..... If you intentionally make the limit slower than it safely needs to be and dont give people enough time to slow down (enough distance to just let off accelerator vs hitting the brakes) than normal, then you are acting dishonestly and deserve neither respect or a paid fine.....

You go ahead and refuse to pay the fine, let us know how that works out for you.

80 mph in a 60 on I-85 north bound. Gee, coming over the hill there was 5 other vehicles with blue lights flashing writing speeding tickets. The SCHP trooper was courteous and professional. I was really thinking of giving him a long story about my support of LEO's and originally living in SC but where I pulled off was tight, to say the least, for officer safety.
I informed of my CC'ing, he said fine but "please leave your weapon holstered" after reporting where the weapon was located. He reduced my fine by a hundred dollars and I was on my way.
Summery;
Professional stop.
Professional attitude
My CC'ing was not an issue.
Was I speeding? YES
Is 60 mph in a four lane interstate inane...YES. They probably made 10K in a couple hours.
Was I wrong for exceeding the speed limit? YES
OK, first ticket in better then 25 years. I can live with that.
Kudo's to SCHP, at least for their professional attitude and process.

Traffic school time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back