got pulled over today

getlost4x4

So I was pulled over by a small town cop today on my way home from a weekend camping trip.

As he walked up to my Range Rover I turned it off and kept my hands on the wheel.

The Cop told me he was pulling me over as a courteous stop. He told me my tail light was burned out. I knew this because my rover tells me anytime something isn't working. It had just burnt out on the way home and didn't have a spare. And I told him thanks

I then told him I was carrying a concealed weapon and had a permit as well.

He said okay. No problem can I see your license and insurance. He checked me out and never once asked for my permit. He sent me on my way.

Nice guy. I must say I was a little nervous as he pulled me over.

The one time I got pulled over I told the officer "I feel it is my duty to inform you that I am armed". The officer said that he appreciated that & asked where it was & I told him. He let me go with no problem whatsoever.

The one time I got pulled over I told the officer "I feel it is my duty to inform you that I am armed". The officer said that he appreciated that & asked where it was & I told him. He let me go with no problem whatsoever.

Why did you "feel that it was your duty"?

I was pulled over for making an illegal u-turn. The officer told me the reason for pulling me over and I then informed him I was carrying and that I had my permit. His reply was "well don't shoot me and we wont have any problems." As soon as I told him, his whole demeanor changed and never asked to see my permit, drivers license or anything. Gotta love being legally armed!

Having a CHP is like a "certified good guy permit" We have jumped several hoops to get one... I think LEOs should thank us for not having to rely on them for our personal security...

Sometimes it depends on the LEO and sometimes the person. We all have days wherein either of us woke up on the wrong side of the bed.:biggrin: You are both lucky. Congratulations for being level headed.

Traffic Stop

I was pulled over with my wife in the car after some jerk that was passing me on the Interstate spotted the Trooper coming down an on ramp and suddenly pulled right in front of me slowing down. So I get the lic &reg stuff. I now inform him of my CCW. He asked where then went back to his car & wrote a ticket for following to close. I went to court as I'm a former cop too. I won my case because this dips;(t couldn't tell a straight story under cross examination. But, he never once mentioned the gun. Beats me?

I got stopped for speeding while I was in an unknown small town looking for a park. I was going 42 in a 25. I did my usual and had my out-of-state driver's license in my hand and military ID card which is required to validate my out-of-state driver's license, the glovebox open and the folder with my registration and insurance in my lap.

I gave him all the required paperwork, he went back to his car, came back, gave me all my stuff and asked me to exit the vehicle. He walked back to between his car and mine, and I got out and followed him. He said he didn't want to "lecture" me in front of my family, but wanted to tell me to slow down and he was going to let me go with a warning.

I didn't say anything about my openly carried firearm in the holster on my belt, and he didn't say anything about it either. I've never disclosed the presence of my firearm during a traffic stop, and it has *gasp* never been an issue.

I did my usual and had my out-of-state driver's license in my hand and military ID card which is required to validate my out-of-state driver's license,

I usually do the same sir(congratulations by the way), but not to validate an out of state driver's license. Drivers licenses are required to be recognized across state lines by federal law. The exception for military memebers is that an most states consider an expired driver's license issued from a service member's home of record valid if presented with a Military ID for a period of time after the date of expiration. This period of extended validity varies from state to state and depends upon the state where the original license originated. This is to allow service members to renew their licenses while on leave.

I usually do the same sir(congratulations by the way), but not to validate an out of state driver's license. Drivers licenses are required to be recognized across state lines by federal law.

Thank you Doc, for the congratulations.

Respectfully, you are mistaken about out-of-state driver's license required to be recognized accross state lines once a military member is ordered to a state.

Link Removed

Motor vehicle operator permits. The SSCRA does not preclude states from requiring persons who live within their borders to acquire a driver's license. Many states, however, allow service members to retain their license if issued from their domicile.

In Washington state, for example, the difinition of resident for Driver's Licensing is:

RCW 46.20.021
New residents.

(1) New Washington residents must obtain a valid Washington driver's license within thirty days from the date they become residents.

(3) For the purposes of obtaining a valid driver's license, a resident is a person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Evidence of residency includes but is not limited to:

(a) Becoming a registered voter in this state; or
(b) Receiving benefits under one of the Washington public assistance programs; or
(c) Declaring residency for the purpose of obtaining a state license or tuition fees at resident rates.

There is no exception for military members. When I execute orders to Washington state, and move my household goods to Washington state, I am manifesting an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. My orders specifically state "Permanent Change of Station."

So, according to RCW 46.20.021, I would be required to obtain a Washington state driver's license within 30 days of moving here. There is no Federal law that says otherwise. Driver's licenses must only be recognized across state lines by the US Constitution for non-resident travellers.

The exemption to the RCW requiring me to obtain a Washington state driver's license is in Washington Administrative Code:

WAC 308-104-008
Persons exempt from driver's license requirement.

In addition to persons exempt from driver license requirement pursuant to RCW 46.20.025, the following persons are exempt from the requirement to obtain a valid driver's license issued to Washington residents under chapter 46.20 RCW:

(2) Military personnel who are at least sixteen years of age who have in their immediate possession a valid driver's license issued by the jurisdiction designated as their home of record. A spouse or dependent of a person who meets the criteria of this subsection is also exempt from the driver's license requirement, provided that the spouse or dependent has in his or her immediate possession a valid driver's license issued by the jurisdiction designated as his or her home of record.

Since, I have lived in Washington state for more than 30 days as a resident defined by RCW, my military ID card IS required to cause my Wyoming driver's license to be valid in Washington state.

On a side note, I possess a Wyoming driver's license which has my Washington address on it. I also posses a Washington state ID card which makes the process of buying handguns from some Washington FFLs easier. I simply show my Washington state ID card as proof of residency, rather than military ID card and orders.

NavyLCDR,
I see, I misunderstood your context. You were referring to changes in residency, as opposed to traveling through a state. It is my understanding that military members on active duty, stationed in a state not their home of record are rarely considered "residents" for legal purposes. I have always understood that active duty members would have to do something to "declare" residency, PCS orders in and of themselves are usually not sufficient.

NavyLCDR,
I see, I misunderstood your context. You were referring to changes in residency, as opposed to traveling through a state. It is my understanding that military members on active duty, stationed in a state not their home of record are rarely considered "residents" for legal purposes. I have always understood that active duty members would have to do something to "declare" residency, PCS orders in and of themselves are usually not sufficient.

Normally residency in a state is legally accomplished in accordance with that particular state's laws by having either a domicile in that state or a permanent job in that state for a certain length of time regardless of if that domicile or job is created by military orders. Residency in a state and military home of record are two completely different and largely unrelated situations.

Federal law prohibits states from collecting certain taxes from military members because their residency in that state is due only to military orders.

Without going into the philosophical "right or wrong" of it, in NC, if you are stoped by the Police, it is your DUTY to inform the nice LEO that you are armed. (Someone pointed out to me a while back on this forum that one's DL and CCP have the same number. THAT tells me that they might be flagged/paired at the DMV data base.... thus NOT informing the nice LEO would be a violation of the Law.... and the LEO might know, after he "calls it in".)

My only incident while carrying was being pulled over by a motor cycle cop for a seat belt violation hassel. He kind of went into a semi panic reaction when I informed him of my weapon and he called for a back up. He called it in as a "gun situation". I told him not to make it sound like that, his back up would be coming in loaded for bear. He called in that it was a routine check. Better.

Long story short, he called in my lisence and permit, unloaded my Beretta Tomcat and put it back in the counsol while I was BS'ing with the "back up" and chatting about carry guns and BUGs. Went on my way, with an unexpected 160 bill to pay. (Ain't it interesting how the fine is only 35 and the court costs are 125? Worse, the only court time I wasted was the time it took some clerk to file my paperwork and deposit my Money Order.) (Nothing more than County fund raising if you ask me.)

All this and but a mile and a half from home.

GG

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back