Got a question

Meitral

Hi all !

First, im realy not a trigger man, i dont own any gun, and i dont have any need to carry one at the moment.

I'm from Quebec, french canadian speaking, so if my english isnt the best in the world, sorry.

Now my question; im wondering if it could be possible to keep a gun, lets say a shotgun or some kind of rifle for about 800 years. Lets say there was some kind of disaster and the wolrd as we know it, wouldnt be the same. Most of mankind would come back to around the bronze age or something like that.

Why im asking the question ? I'm not crazy guys that want to see the world to come to an end haha. I'm planing to write some kind of book and im wondering if that could be possible to keep guns that would have been realy well maintained for about 800 years.

I'm not realy sure if its the right place to post this kind of question, but if anybody could answer, thanks a lot !

Meitral

Yes, it is possible.

It would depend on what the weapon was made of, how often it was used and how its was stored and maintained for that 800 years.

Some polymers have an unlimited shelf life;
Link Removed

Chromed lined barrels theoretically could last forever.

So a well maintained, properly stored polymer based chrome lined barreled AR could theoretically last 1000+ years

800 years is a long time for anything to, except cock roaches. To be honest I'm not worried as I will not be around that long. I live for now like it was my last minute. Although there are other concerns along with gun powder, like bullets, primers, cases, bullet press, gun oil, grease. etc., along with food, water and a man cave stocked with MGD

I suppose an AK would have a failry good chance to still work after all that time if more or less properly maintained. The simple stuff would last longest. Any ammo produced today I would highly doubt to be still usable after so much time. But with reloads...

Why would I worry about whether my gun will survive 800 years? The weapons I have now will last me my lifetime and it will not concern me if it falls apart when I am gone. I'm gone and that is it -- I have lived my years here and it is up to my descendants to worry about my guns, not me worrying even AFTER I have gone. Got my drift???

Just look to the past

It seems fairly simple to me. Just look at what has last from the past until the present. We have any number of relics from thousands of years ago. Granted the more complicated the object the fewer of them survived. We have lots of swords, but few billows used in the forges. The key is some "HAVE" survived. Under the right conditions anything that is chemically stable can last almost indefinitely. Wood and steel don't break down simply because of age. Some wooden tools excavated from the pyramids could still be used if you needed. They probably are more fragile now than when new, but not unusable.

This is my opinion but if a sword from a few thousand years ago can last until now, as well as wooden tools from even further back I'm sure that if stored properly then a quality firearm would easily last 800 to a thousand years.

But like others have said, you would still need ammo, and I have no clue as to whether it would break down over time or last.

:redface: Okay I just about made an a$$ out of myself. I was about to say just look at the condition of some Napoleonic cannons! but then I relized I was off the 800 year mark by a few. I really got my centuries mixed up lmao! :lol:

Okay, let me ask a question back to the poster: Are we assuming the weapons were just stored somewhere for that length of time or used all along?

Sorry Meitral, I stopped reading after your statement "im realy not a trigger man, i dont own any gun, and i dont have any need to carry one at the moment" A Trigger Man? Also, I would highly advise you start with a English class with writing skills. Your post is not up to par with normal literary standards. Just saying.................

Okay, let me ask a question back to the poster: Are we assuming the weapons were just stored somewhere for that length of time or used all along?

They would have been used along.

Sorry Meitral, I stopped reading after your statement "im realy not a trigger man, i dont own any gun, and i dont have any need to carry one at the moment" A Trigger Man? Also, I would highly advise you start with a English class with writing skills. Your post is not up to par with normal literary standards. Just saying.................

I'm from Quebec, french canadian speaking, so if my english isnt the best in the world, sorry.

You should have read a lil bit more...

Thanks a lot for all the others answers :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back