Good encounter at home

arkie45

I was roused from sleep at about 1:30 a.m. this morning by a revving motorcycle in front of my house. The headlight was waving its beam back and forth across my bedroom window. I jumped into my pants and t-shirt, grabbed my Kimber and 3 extra mags, grabbed my light, and peeked through the blinds. I am the last house at the top of the hill on a dead end road, so it's not uncommon to see someone turning around in my driveway, but this guy was having a hard time lifting up his bike. Being a rider myself, I almost went out to help him but stopped myself. He finally got it back up and left after a couple of minutes, but looked kinda impaired, so I called the local PD and reported it. I didn't think much about it till about 20 minutes later and the guy came back, turned off his bike, and started looking around the street for something. I called the cops immediately, and the guy left after a couple of minutes. I walked out into the street and found where the crank-head puked a couple of times, and spotted a loaded syringe in the middle of the street...probably what the guy was looking for. I didn't touch anything, and waited in my house for the cops to arrive. The LEO knocked on the door, and I walked outside with him. I told him I was carrying, and he said thanks shook my hand, and apologized for taking so long to arrive. I showed him the syringe, puke, etc. and he was very appreciative.

Long story a little shorter, he was informed I was armed and didn't bat an eye, was very courteous, and a genuinely nice guy.

I don't know yet, I had to go to work early this morning to start turbines at the power plant. The LEO said they will let me know, and give the neighborhood some extra cruise time for a week or two. If he only knew how close to being permanently cured of his addiction he was, he would stay out of this little Arkansas town. Of course a meth-head obviously doesn't value life much anyway.

If he only knew how close to being permanently cured of his addiction he was, he would stay out of this little Arkansas town. Of course a meth-head obviously doesn't value life much anyway.

Given the guy apparently never set foot on your property and made no attempt to enter your home or pose any type threat to you I have to ask, just how close was he?

In my driveway, walking back and forth into the street, then towards my door. The door to my carport is the door to my bedroom...too close for 2 in the morning.

In my driveway, walking back and forth into the street, then towards my door. The door to my carport is the door to my bedroom...too close for 2 in the morning.

Still not seeing where any of his actions came anywhere near rising to the level of justifiable deadly force. If he walked right up to your door and stood there till sun up he still hasn't done anything that a reasonable person would consider an imminent threat to your well being.

On his defense I would have grabbed my gun also

Oh, without a doubt. I was just trying to point out that

If he only knew how close to being permanently cured of his addiction he was, he would stay out of this little Arkansas town. Of course a meth-head obviously doesn't value life much anyway.

was a really poor choice of words

Oh, without a doubt. I was just trying to point out that

was a really poor choice of words

I disagree. As erratic as the guy was acting I wouldn't have let him get right up to my door. When he started walking up to my house he would have gotten one verbal warning and that would have been it. As long as it took for the LEO to get there it sounds like it is a fairly rural area. If it takes that long I'm not gonna wait until he's already in my house before I stop him. If he was that messed up there is no telling what he was on or what he would have done. JMHO.

To expound on my choice of words, as hinky as he was acting he could have easily escalated the situation if the police were there or not. In a split second, a meth-head might crash through a door, etc. I'm smart enough to not incite a fight of any kind, much less a gun fight. He probably doesn't even remember where he was last night.

I disagree. As erratic as the guy was acting I wouldn't have let him get right up to my door. When he started walking up to my house he would have gotten one verbal warning and that would have been it. As long as it took for the LEO to get there it sounds like it is a fairly rural area. If it takes that long I'm not gonna wait until he's already in my house before I stop him. If he was that messed up there is no telling what he was on or what he would have done. JMHO.

Unless you live in Texas you go ahead and shoot some guy who hasn't even attempted to enter your home.

Let us know how that works out for you

Treo in English what he means is that he wouldn't start the problem then half to shoot someone . I think he handled it great . My Friend just got off work a month or so ago . They made fun of a drunk dude walking . The drunk guy walks close to them says I have a Ccw . And my buddy pulls out his gun makes him step away and he got into trouble . All he had to do was say nothing

Treo in English what he means is that he wouldn't start the problem then half to shoot someone . I think he handled it great . My Friend just got off work a month or so ago . They made fun of a drunk dude walking . The drunk guy walks close to them says I have a Ccw . And my buddy pulls out his gun makes him step away and he got into trouble . All he had to do was say nothing

You have one hell of a friend. He starts confrontations and then brandished his gun? Sounds like that loser shouldn't own a gun.

I think there is waaaay too much monday morning quarter backing going on here...and on this site in general but I think the OPs choice of words here is spot on. Its called being prepared for anything that could occur. There were no life threats which was obvious.....but you never know. I'd have gun in hand if someone was staggering around my property too.

I think the OP handled it good. Very comforting to see how long it took LE to arrive huh? Two trips to the house from the drunken crankhead and no police protection... and people wonder why we cherish our 2A rights.

The syringe was loaded with diabetes meds and he is addicted to Twinkies! You guys sure can baffle us with BS if you don't dazzle us with brilliance.:sarcastic:

Unless you live in Texas you go ahead and shoot some guy who hasn't even attempted to enter your home.

Let us know how that works out for you

While you still have to engage your brain with any encounter, I would like to say God Bless Texas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back