Good compact handgun for lefties

M&P Shield. Sig P239

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

First, I'm a lefty. And like many of you lefties, I tolerate the right-handed world. LOL! Lefty bolt action rifle. Bottom ejection shotgun. Etc... I looked at the S&W M&P 9mm, Springfield XDm, and then stumbled on the Ruger SR9C. I liked 2 things about the SR9C: It's narrow/thin (ish), and it was about $100 or more less expensive. I paid $419 at a gun show for the 2 tone version. It handles recoil very well, and it's accurate. At least it's accurate enough for me. It's my primary carry weapon and, when I do my part at 20 feet, my 3-shot groups are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Plenty tight for the intended (and hopefully never needed) purpose. It conceals well in an IWB holster, and is virtually invisible in a shirt-tuckable holster. I carry the 10 round mags, minus the finger grip. I find the trigger pleasant and consistent. My 10-year old daughter shoots it just fine. I have a test I do when I pick up a new gun. I point it at a target (non human and safely) and see if the sights align for me. If they don't, I decide the gun is not a natural pointer for me and I move on. I may not have time to find the sights but the confidence I get from the 'pointability' factor is important to me. Hope some of that helps.

WingRider

Lefties

I have been searching for a fully ambi 9mm compact. I found a few not mentioned so far in this thread. The FNS 9 is my favorite so far. Reasonable price point, striker fired, and aggressive design. It can be obtained with or without a manual safety. The FNX also has similar features if you want a hammer fired option. The Kimber Solo is a premium option with a magazine release for lefties, but the ones I picked up had very tight slide release that is difficult to operate for a left handed shooter. H&K has some configurable options as well such as the P30SK.

I have a number of SIGs (P229, P250) and don't find them left-unfriendly. The mag release can be flipped to either side. This pretty much just leaves the decocker for the SA-variants and I have no problem using my trigger finger to release that lever. That pretty much leaves just the slide release and we've been over that subject before.

Pistols don't tend to have the problem that long guns do with ejecting the spent cartridges in your face.

Ditto the M&P 9c. All the controls are mirrored on both sides, it has a good out-of-the-box trigger, and the ergonomics are great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using USA Carry mobile app

I like carrying a couple Kahrs a CM9 and a CT380. They have no safeties to worry about and a nice smooth light double action like pull even though it’s not a true double action. I shoot them both left and right handed no problem

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back