Glock vs M&P

Itstjs

So, the great debate. Was wondering where alot of you guys stand.
Many people trust their lives to Glock, theyre simple, reliable, and accurate. M&P springing up on the market in recent years has quickly taken alot of the market away from Glock, as far as law enforcement issued weapons. So, my question is, [and you can vote] which weapon is better. Hard question, but I gotta ask it.

I own an M&P, have since 2009. Great weapon, no problems with it, looks amazing, handles well, ergonomics are amazing and easily customizable, [but what weapon isnt these days?] Ive probably put close to 8,000 rounds through my weapon in that timem trigger functions flawlessly, completely stock, the adjustable back straps make it easy for me to hold the weapon and adjust it to my perfect fit, the sights, even stock work well for me, [i personally hate the glock sites] and the disassemble is simple.
Ive shot a few glocks in my time, Glock 22, Glock 19, Glock 17, and none of them felt right to me, sites were terrible IMO, trigger was nice, however the grips didnt work well with me, [All the Glocks were Gen 3] and the magazine, although theyre universal, didnt set well with me, for some reason, I just hated them, they were tough and somewhat difficult to completely load, [may have just been my friends, not sure]

M&Ps typically cost just a little more, somewhere in the range of 510.00 as where Glocks [or so Ive seen] are between 380 and 500. I paid around 600 for mine, and dont regret it. Perfect weapon [for me], Now I know Ill probably catch alot of heat for this posting, and Im sure Glock lovers will come out in force, but tell me, what made you choose a Glock over an M&P. Why choose M&P over Glock? I know Glocks got the name and the history behind it, but in my opinion, M&P beat Glock to the punch with the adjustable back straps, and the beautiful look the M&P has. Glocks are just too boxy for my taste.
Although I do want to purchase a Glock in the future, just to say I have one, I dont think Ill carry it too often, if at all. Ive heard people say " You can toss em' in the mud, freeze them in the water, toss em' off a cliff, and theyll still shoot." My question is, why do any of these things to the weapon? Are you in some foreign country doing some Call of Duty things? Doubtful. Im sure the same things could be said about the M&P as well, however, in normal every day activities/carry, youll never do any of these things, unless youve got tons of money to torture test them, dont believe everything you hear.

Heres a video from hickok45 [great gun review guy] I urge ya to watch it. I think he can put a rest to the war between S&W M&P and Glock lol.

**Admin Note, couldnt get Poll up, firefox crashed just as I was trying to get it submitted, couldnt get it in on edit.**

Last edited:
Here is my only issue with M & P. The New Mexico State Police carried the 357 SIG round for years. In Glock. Then they switched to M&P. And now they switched back to 9mm (not there is anything wrong with it) because the slide release on the M&P would break. Due to the fact (the amory thinks) of the high pressure of the 357 SIG round. Now as someone who has carried the 357 SIG round for over a decade in a XD-357 SIG without issue, to me that is a problem. And the only reason I know this is due to the fact a NM State Trouper shoots in my U.S.P.S.A. Locally here in NM.

Here is my only issue with M & P. The New Mexico State Police carried the 357 SIG round for years. In Glock. Then they switched to M&P. And now they switched back to 9mm (not there is anything wrong with it) because the slide release on the M&P would break. Due to the fact (the amory thinks) of the high pressure of the 357 SIG round. Now as someone who has carried the 357 SIG round for over a decade in a XD-357 SIG without issue, to me that is a problem. And the only reason I know this is due to the fact a NM State Trouper shoots in my U.S.P.S.A. Locally here in NM.

Never had an issue with my slide release. I shoot 40 cal with Hornady Critical Defense 180 grain. Many departments in my area carry M&Ps. Not to say that issues dont happen with weapons, although, Ive never heard of this issue.

Itstjs,

Try a Gen 4. The Glocks now have several back straps for adjustable grips.

Agreed, the sights suck on a Glock. This is because Federal rules regulate they have to put something on there. Glock didn't want to put any sights on, knowing full well most LE would change to their preferred sight. This is why they suck and are plastic. Since the Glock is less expensive, for the same price you can get whatever sights you wish on the Glock.

Agreed, the triggers on Glocks are nice. Also, they have several easy to replace spring mechanisms to change the trigger weight.

Not sure why you had problems with your magazines. Glock magazines are designed to take just as much beating as the firearm itself. In Glock training videos, we're told, when doing a magazine change, to have the empty one just fall to the ground. I recommend getting a Mag-lula to load any high capacity magazine for any gun. It's a great little invention for helping to load magazines.

So from what I read, your real argument for the M&P being better is the back straps (Glock has them on the Gen 4's for the last few years) and the look (this is total opinion).

This is why the argument/debate is going to go no where. Both are good reliable firearms. It will just depend on which feels better in your hand or looks better (if looks are a reason for a buying a firearm).

For what it's worth, if these are truly the only sticking points, my money is then on the tried and true Glock. More accessories, more options, more parts, etc.

Glock's are way easier to break down because there is no pain in the ass lever to pull out, but in my opinion the M&P has a far more superior trigger. I loved how smooth it was and it doesn't wear your finger down after several rounds. I wouldn't edge one over the other, they both have different qualities that make them great weapon systems. I only have a Glock but I'd proudly own either or both.

They are both fine weapons and neither one can be called "better" without showing a bit of PERSONAL preference. If you were to ask me I'd say that I favor the M&P design over the Glock's design. The gun seems to point more naturally for me and the grip fills my hand more efficiently and just "feels" better when I'm holding it.

I chose the S&W M&P .40 caliber because I like the addition of a 1911 style safety on my weapon even though the XD .45 I just purchased does not have a manual safety.
At least the XD Service model has a grip safety and a Glock style trigger so you have to have a "shooting" grip for the gun to go bang.

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

I own a M&P40, Glock 22 Gen3, and I carry a Glock 27 Gen4.
My person opinion is the M&P fits your hand better than the Gen3 Glock, but with the introduction of the different backstraps for the Gen4, that point is neck and neck between the two.
I like the trigger better on the M&P, but a Lone Wolf disconnector in a Glock makes that creepy, gritty Glock trigger a lot better.
The single gripe I have about the M&P is that silly takedown lever.
Main thing is to get what you like. No point in just buying a gun solely based on the name on the slide.

I'll agree with saying that this will all come down to personal preference. For me, the M&P is better; fits my hand better, and I shoot more accurately. That doesn't necessarily mean that the M&P is better than a Glock... They are both very good. I just don't care for Glocks!

Both good guns. I prefer the look of the M&P, but I despise external manual safties, so I have to go with Glock.

Truth is, I chose a gun with the styling of he M&P, the lack of external safeties of the Glock and a trigger better than both. I went with the Walther PPQ.

Well why in the world didn't someone tell me that before....:blink:
Better question, why didn't I try that in the first place....
Thanks.

Both good guns. I prefer the look of the M&P, but I despise external manual safties, so I have to go with Glock.

Truth is, I chose a gun with the styling of he M&P, the lack of external safeties of the Glock and a trigger better than both. I went with the Walther PPQ.

I don't either. I carry the Shield with the safety off, no problem. It really was the only thing I didn't like about the Shield. However, they have lots of versions of the larger M&P's, many without external safeties. Not that you'll need to worry about it as you're happy with the PPQ, but something to keep in mind just in case a friend is looking at a M&P! :smile:

That's good to know. Every one I've seen seems to have the thumb safety. I didn't know they did like H&K does and offer with or without.

if you've made up mind "do not like Glock" or magazines, then don't buy one - glock is one you either "love or hate". remember, glocks never ever fail to fire. some others "uh-oh, they misfire"... buy whatever you want, no need to downgrade glock magazines. I've got three in my collection and love them. Also have 1911's - good stuff, real guns.

I think he talking about that yellow thingy, inside by the breech, that you move down, when disassembling.
I want to get a Glock 19 that I saw the other day. It seems like a nice size. I've never fired a Glock, so I'm curious. However, I love my M&P 40. It is, by far, the most comfortable, easy gun to shoot, for me.

Well why in the world didn't someone tell me that before....:blink:
Better question, why didn't I try that in the first place....
Thanks.
Same reaction I had whenever I figured out it could be done. Pushing down the lever inside the grip isn't necessary it's more of a safety feature for those idiots who attempt to disassemble their gun with the gun still loaded.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back