Getting a CPL

GothPuppy

For starters I live in Oregon... This summer I got my Oregon CCW License. I travel to Washington alot... (my kid goes to WSU in Pullman). So I was filling out my CPL for Washington and they have a small line for "List type and location of all marks,scars,and tattoos" it is a small line.... do I really have to put ALL my marks,scars,and tattoos? If so it gonna take a lot more paper. LOL

In Oregon, it's technically a CHL (concealed handgun license) & your best bet is to actually get a Utah permit, which is recognized in WA as well as many other states. A combo of OR and UT makes you "legal" in 33 states, I believe (including WA). Most of the OR classes offer that as an option.

For starters I live in Oregon... This summer I got my Oregon CCW License. I travel to Washington alot... (my kid goes to WSU in Pullman). So I was filling out my CPL for Washington and they have a small line for "List type and location of all marks,scars,and tattoos" it is a small line.... do I really have to put ALL my marks,scars,and tattoos? If so it gonna take a lot more paper. LOL

1. Ask the LEO agency where you are applying, or the Washington State Department of Licensing.

2. If it was me...I would just list a few obvious ones, it's only for identification, not a qualify/disqualify factor.

My WA ccw permission slip says:

Tattoo R arm
Tattoo L arm
Tattoo chest
Tattoo back
Scar L wrist
Scar L hip

It seems you don't necessarily need to go into detail about what your tattoos look like or say, but where they are located.

I would advice you to attach an additional paper with all of your markings, if they don't want that much detail they will just throw away the attachment.

I have had to do this with both my ccw permission slip and paramedic certifications.

Thanks Guys! This is very helpful.

@Dbass, I will look into the Utah Permit, didn't know it included WA. :)
I knew it is... (CHL) in Oregon, just couldn't think of it at the time - LOL ;)

If anyone has a good reference for a Utah class in Spokane I'd really appreciate it. I have my Wa permit but would love to be able to carry in Oregon. Thanks! Also , when I renewed my permit this past summer the clerk said Idaho and Montana have Wa reciprocity now, anyone have any other confirmation to that? Again, thank you!

If anyone has a good reference for a Utah class in Spokane I'd really appreciate it. I have my Wa permit but would love to be able to carry in Oregon. Thanks! Also , when I renewed my permit this past summer the clerk said Idaho and Montana have Wa reciprocity now, anyone have any other confirmation to that? Again, thank you!

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, OR doesn't recognize other states licenses so you'd have to get an OR CHL to carry here. Drag... I know.

It is so frustrating, It is like playing States Tic Tac Toe Game...

Why is it you can't get a Concealed Permit that works for all the states, How did come to every state to have it's own laws? You go through pretty much the same process in every state, is it a control thing or a money thing. I guess I just don't get.

As I have said before... I am new to Guns and the laws that go with them. I am trying to learn them and keep myself informed, but in the process I ask dumb questions. (Sorry) :unsure:

No sweat man. & I couldn't agree more. There sure are a lot of hoops for a constitutional right. My thoughts are that it should be more like owning and using a car. Registered, licensed, etc... Fine, but consistent and established. (Many will likely disagree with that. Hope I didn't start a fire here. Lol)

There are a few books out there that are aimed at explaining the rules from state to state in plain English. I have a travelers guide which explains the requirements for traveling in every state, for example.

Here's food for thought. Even if you are legal to carry in WA and in OR, you, technically, can't cross state lines with the gun on you!! We would technically be committing a federal crime by crossing the I-5 or 205 bridges. Technically, we are supposed to pull over, place our carry gun in the trunk or out of reach, cross the bridge, pull over and get our carry gun again. Just silly. But thems the rues....

Just think of how many federal crimes are committed on those bridges everyday!!! ;)

Lol i currently have 100 + tattoos and when i applied i took pics and just cut out the private areas the woman looked at them and said oh that will work lol

No sweat man. & I couldn't agree more. There sure are a lot of hoops for a constitutional right. My thoughts are that it should be more like owning and using a car. Registered, licensed, etc... Fine, but consistent and established. (Many will likely disagree with that. Hope I didn't start a fire here. Lol)

There are a few books out there that are aimed at explaining the rules from state to state in plain English. I have a travelers guide which explains the requirements for traveling in every state, for example.

Here's food for thought. Even if you are legal to carry in WA and in OR, you, technically, can't cross state lines with the gun on you!! We would technically be committing a federal crime by crossing the I-5 or 205 bridges. Technically, we are supposed to pull over, place our carry gun in the trunk or out of reach, cross the bridge, pull over and get our carry gun again. Just silly. But thems the rues....

Just think of how many federal crimes are committed on those bridges everyday!!! ;)

Wow, That is just crazy... I had no idea... I can't think of one person who would do that or even knows it. (well one person lol)
I must find these books or maybe download them to my Kindle =)

As for the laws I tend to agree with... we already go through the background checks and finger printing, the laws should not be that different from state to state. Gonna throw this out there though it could come back and hit me in the face O_O - I feel their should be Registered Parents the stupid need not apply! LOL

It is so frustrating, It is like playing States Tic Tac Toe Game...

Why is it you can't get a Concealed Permit that works for all the states, How did come to every state to have it's own laws? You go through pretty much the same process in every state, is it a control thing or a money thing. I guess I just don't get.

As I have said before... I am new to Guns and the laws that go with them. I am trying to learn them and keep myself informed, but in the process I ask dumb questions. (Sorry) :unsure:

I believe that the US Constitution/BOR already tells us that we do not need any permits and can travel from one state to another without worry, but there are so many sheeple in the majority of the States that believe otherwise that I am one voice in a very small minority. Our Second Amendment tells us that we have a Right to Keep and Bear Arms, the 14th Amendment tells us that as a Citizen of one state we can cross any border and still maintain or have the same rights in every other state. Required permits are an infringement on our 2A rights just as much in Oregon or Washington as they are in Illinois.

So I have made the decision to get Utah and added Arizona for $20 bucks more... so it gets me all the states I want... well all but one "Colorado" sucks! LOL

I would rather have that little card and know my 2A Rights.More often than not it is the innocent put under microscope and punished.

So I have made the decision to get Utah and added Arizona for $20 bucks more... so it gets me all the states I want... well all but one "Colorado" sucks! LOL

I would rather have that little card and know my 2A Rights.More often than not it is the innocent put under microscope and punished.

Congrats! I jus finally got my Utah in the mail (took about 5 weeks). I'm kind of wishing I had gone ahead and gotten AZ as well but I was most concerned with Oregon and Washington, too.
Safe carrying,

Congrats! I jus finally got my Utah in the mail (took about 5 weeks). I'm kind of wishing I had gone ahead and gotten AZ as well but I was most concerned with Oregon and Washington, too.
Safe carrying,

Thanks! I went ahead and got AZ because it got me NV, now I have most of the West taken care of :)

I'm curious about something. Do you travel THAT much that you need to be able to carry in so many states? I live and carry in FL. Before that, I lived and carried in VA. Since I moved here 7 years ago I've traveled to VA once and to NJ once. Maybe I'm in the minority but I just don't travel out of state that much.

I'm curious about something. Do you travel THAT much that you need to be able to carry in so many states? I live and carry in FL. Before that, I lived and carried in VA. Since I moved here 7 years ago I've traveled to VA once and to NJ once. Maybe I'm in the minority but I just don't travel out of state that much.

I do travel to many different states, I have family in many places :) - but not just visiting people... I love to just travel around. My parents have always traveled, I grew up that way and can not imagine not seeing this beautiful country we live in. I just perfer to carry as well. :)

The majority of my family presently live in Utah, New Mexico, a couple in other places around the US, and of course California. I'm fed up with California for the most part so most of those that live in California can come visit me if they want to see me. The others, I will go to visit, but do not want to have to play hop-scotch getting where I want to go just so that I can carry where I go. So, having what CPL's are needed to allow me to drive in a straight or as close to a straight line as possible is what I seek.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back