Get UT non-resident permit, skip MN resident permit?

whatev

In a MN resident and I just completed the carry course which included training for the MN permit, and the Utah non-resident permit. Since the Utah permit has reciprocity in MN, is there any reason I cant just get the cheaper Utah permit and use it to carry in MN?

I didn't check, but does MN give you any more states than UT does?

In SC, I had to get a UT to be able to carry in FL and GA, among others. With just a UT, I couldn't carry in SC.
If you don't plan on leaving MN, I can't see a need for a MN if you have a UT.

KK

If it's like Wisconsin, you have to have a Wis permit if you're a resident even if you have a permit from another state. We winter in Arizona, I had to get a Wis permit for the summer months up here.

If you are a MN resident you MUST also have a MN permit...it's that way in almost all states.

According to the USA Carry map, the Non- Res UT permit covers him in MN. I would check the validity of that but from what I read, he should be good. However, Navy hasn't weighed in on this so maybe we should all wait and see. :):):)

KK

I agree with KCD1974, I know of no state that lets it's residents carry using a non-resident permit from another state. It's logical that they want to make sure you qualify for their requirements, know about your permit, and get your fees.

In order to get a Utah permit the applicant must have a permit from their home state if a permit is available in their home state.
I know of no state which offers permits which honors an out of state permit carried by a legal resident of said state.

In a MN resident and I just completed the carry course which included training for the MN permit, and the Utah non-resident permit. Since the Utah permit has reciprocity in MN, is there any reason I cant just get the cheaper Utah permit and use it to carry in MN?

Current UT law requires you to submit a photo copy of your home state CC permit/license if your home state recognizes or has reciprocity with the state of UT. Failure to do so will result in denial of your UT CFP application. For example, the state of UT has reciprocity with the state of TX. If you are a TX resident, and wish to apply for a UT non-resident permit, you will need to submit a copy of your TX permit with your application. OTOH if you are a CA resident (which does not recognize nor has reciprocity with the state of UT), you do not have to submit a copy of your CA CC permit.

Complete details can be found on the Utah BCI website: Link Removed

I'm in MN. Gotta have home state permit before looking to obtain another states permit. Look at New Hampshire, $25 and no fingerprints to sent, good for 4 years on the MN permit which is cheaper than UT.

I actually got my Utah permit before I got my South Carolina permit. I guess that's because there is no reciprocity between SC and UT. I just know I couldn't carry in SC with just the UT. I had to get the SC also.

KK

If you are a MN resident you MUST also have a MN permit...it's that way in almost all states.

I don't see where it says that in MN Link Removed

I agree with KCD1974, I know of no state that lets it's residents carry using a non-resident permit from another state. It's logical that they want to make sure you qualify for their requirements, know about your permit, and get your fees.

there are a few....PA is one for example.

Current UT law requires you to submit a photo copy of your home state CC permit/license if your home state recognizes or has reciprocity with the state of UT. Failure to do so will result in denial of your UT CFP application. For example, the state of UT has reciprocity with the state of TX. If you are a TX resident, and wish to apply for a UT non-resident permit, you will need to submit a copy of your TX permit with your application. OTOH if you are a CA resident (which does not recognize nor has reciprocity with the state of UT), you do not have to submit a copy of your CA CC permit.

This right here is your issue. MN honors UT therefore you need to obtain a MN permit before you can get a UT permit.

I'm in MN. Gotta have home state permit before looking to obtain another states permit. Look at New Hampshire, $25 and no fingerprints to sent, good for 4 years on the MN permit which is cheaper than UT.

He could use the training cert to get an AZ permit without first having a MN permit...but AZ is not honored in MN. NH is $100 for non-residents.

In order to get a Utah permit the applicant must have a permit from their home state if a permit is available in their home state.
I know of no state which offers permits which honors an out of state permit carried by a legal resident of said state.

This is correct, effective May 10 of this year' regardless of MN law.

Also, take a look at the AZ permit, it might be a little better permit than UT.

Good luck.

I'm also in SC and I understand it you need to have a SC resident permit before getting the out of state permit. You cannot carry in SC with just a non-resident permit, regardless of what state it is from. I have an Arizona permit, which allows me to carry in states that don't reciprocate with SC. The AZ permit was cheaper then the UT permit, I only had to mail my NRA basic safety certificate as proof of training along with a copy of my SC CWP and the fee. I rec'd the AZ permit in a few weeks.

Well, I don't know how it worked, but I had my non-res UT permit a month before I got my res SC permit. I knew I couldn't carry in SC w/o my SC permit but I could have in other states with just my UT permit.

As long as we have such expert advice here, explain to me how this happened? I don't really care since I'm good now, but someone is wrong.

KK

Well, I don't know how it worked, but I had my non-res UT permit a month before I got my res SC permit. I knew I couldn't carry in SC w/o my SC permit but I could have is other states with just my UT permit.

As long as we have such expert advice here, explain to me how this happened? I don't really care since I'm good now, but someone is wrong.

KK

The state of SC does not recognize the UT CFP, so you are not required to submit a copy with your UT CFP application. Had you been a NC resident, it would be a different story.

So is the Utah an additional class or just an application with prints and a copy of my MN CCP?

The state of UT requires applicants to take a 4 hour training class conducted by an instructor certified by the Utah BCI. More information can be found here: Link Removed

There are instructors in most U.S. States, as the class does not need to be conducted in the state of Utah. A list of instructors can be found on the BCI website as well.

The UT permit used to do just that. Unless your home state only accepts resident permits from another state if it has reciprocity with UT their permit is valid. I carry with a UT non res permit in NC myself.

But, last year UT changed their permit laws so that now you have to have your own state's permit before you can get their non res permit. Nice people as those Mormons are, that will however NOT invalidate existing permits (which are valid for a generous 5 years) but you can't renew them unless you first get the local permit. Which stinks for me because NC requires citizenship for a CCW permit and I am only a resident permanent legal alien and not rich enough to sue them to make it otherwise (many states have dropped similar restrictions after being sued).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back