Georgia and South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit Question

msbrown

I just moved to Georgia from South Carolina, where I have my CWP. Since I am now a resident of GA, I can technically get a my GA carry permit correct? But this poses a problem, will my SC CWP permit still be valid? I frequently travel back and forth between both states as I live very close to the state lines, so what is my best option?

I don't see a "resident time" for which one has to be a GA resident before applying...so you should be good to go there.

Your SC permit may or may not be voided when you inform them of your address change.

As I understand SC law, your SC CWP is no longer valid since you have moved to Georgia. If you own property in SC, you qualify for a SC non-resident CWP. Otherwise, I don't know how you can solve the problem because SC does not recognize permits of people who are not residents of the state that issued the permit. Is that confusing enough?!

As I understand SC law, your SC CWP is no longer valid since you have moved to Georgia. If you own property in SC, you qualify for a SC non-resident CWP. Otherwise, I don't know how you can solve the problem because SC does not recognize permits of people who are not residents of the state that issued the permit. Is that confusing enough?!

That's the way I understand it as well.

Thanks guys, I was just trying to find a way around it. I guess the only way I can technically have both is if I still lived in SC, then I could just get a NH non-resident and be done with it.

You are correct. Even if you get a NH nonresident permit once you move to GA you won't be able to carry in SC. Hopefully they will pass the new bill and we start recognizing all permits.

GA has done a lot of things that won't help, SC will never probably except a States Permit that has a finger print instead of a picture. That doesn't make any sense to me, having a finger print on a Permit. I'm from GA and have family there. I shop in GA a lot and I have a NH Permit.

...South Carolina permit INVALID..

As previously stated, your South Carolina permit is INVALID. It cannot be used in South Carolina (as you are no longer a S.C. resident)...unless, you still own real property in S.C.
If you own real property in S.C., I would contact SLED Regulatory division and ask IF you should apply for a S.C. non-resident permit.
As a Georgia resident, I would recommend that you contact the local Sheriff and inform him that you would like a Georgia CWP. He will take it from there.
Where information is concerned regarding the State Laws, this website has an excellent State law page, as does handgunlaw.com.

As previously stated, your South Carolina permit is INVALID. It cannot be used in South Carolina (as you are no longer a S.C. resident)...unless, you still own real property in S.C.
If you own real property in S.C., I would contact SLED Regulatory division and ask IF you should apply for a S.C. non-resident permit.
As a Georgia resident, I would recommend that you contact the local Sheriff and inform him that you would like a Georgia CWP. He will take it from there.
Where information is concerned regarding the State Laws, this website has an excellent State law page, as does handgunlaw.com.

Not sure about SC but here in GA, you don't inform the Sheriff... :fie:
The issue of a Georgia Weapons Permit is handled by the Probate
court for the county in which you reside. :pleasantry:

Specific information can be found at Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news & Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org
Both of these site will prove extremely helpful in answering questions regarding Georgia's laws and processes.

...hp....

and Bruce....before you cock and shoot...Be sure of your target and what is beyond it....lol
...if you will read my post again...you MAY have miss read it...I will cut and paste for you.
As you can see, I recommended that the person "contact the local Sheriff" and he will take it from there.
In most cases, the Sheriff of your local area will be better able (and elected to) provide you with the correct information for your area. I DID not indicate that he issued it.

Last edited:
and Bruce....before you cock and shoot...Be sure of your target and what is beyond it....lol
...if you will read my post again...you MAY have miss read it...I will cut and paste for you.
As you can see, I recommended that the person "contact the local Sheriff" and he will take it from there.
In most cases, the Sheriff of your local area will be better able (and elected to) provide you with the correct information for your area. I DID not indicate that he issued it.

Thanks - but I didn't misunderstand.
If I came across a bit abrupt, I do apologize. As a member of GeorgiaCarry.org I attend many of the local guns shows and work at the GCO booth. It is frightening the amount of BAD information that is given out to folks not only by other folks, but by LEO's. We spend a fair amount of time trying to ensure that folks get the right information. Most are well intentioned mistakes, but some I suspect are meant to discourage folks from
applying or carrying. Not every LEO is an advocate of armed citizens.
and DO NOT mistake this for LEO bashing !! We have many, MANY truly fine LEO's here in the Georgia and a few with strong "contrary" opinions.

But my only intent in response to your post was to ensure that MsBrown had
the correct information.

...Bruce, I understand, but a little confused

Your apology is welcomed and accepted.

IF you understood what I recommended, I fail to understand why you needed to object to my recommendation unless of course you feel georgiapacking is more knowledgeable about Georgia carry laws than the local Sheriff.
Secondly, I understand but do not necessarily agree with you regarding what you refer to as LEO's.
LEO's as you refer to them is a "self appointed" term. These PEACE Officers are appointed Constables and PEACE officers by the Governor to enforce the "civil" laws of the State...many times they refer to themselves as LEO's, and in some cases have sold the public on this name change. Afterall, a PEACE Officer just doesn't sound as mean as LEO, I guess. It is much the same reasons that they "mimic" our Armed Forces in dress, speech and etc....I agree that some do not understand, and may not support the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution, and we all ought to help educate them.
Lastly, I am not and have never been a PEACE Officer. As you can see by looking at my post, I am primarily concerned with questions regarding citizens who are looking for South Carolina CWP/CCW information from reputable sources. I think you will find that the great majority of CWP/CCW Instructors will provide great information on this site. If you were to look at my business card you would find this statement: “Sworn to uphold and defend the United States Constitution against ALL enemies foreign and DOMESTIC”, for over 40 years.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back