General encounters with LEO...

Lavon

Call it my newness to carrying or inexperience around LEO while carrying, but I find myself NOT wanting to be around any LEO while armed.

Case in point...A couple times I have pulled into a gas station to refuel while carrying concealed, although with an OWB paddle holster, shirt untucked. Every time I have waited to exit my vehicle until I SEE the officer either exit the store returning to their patrol car OR actual pulling off. Why? I'm not exactly sure. My first thought or reaction is I do not want any confrontation and just plain avoidance is obviously best.

I know there will come a time when I'm already in a place of business and an officer enters. This scenario doesn't seem to affect me the same way. I guess because it would be apparent that I'm purchasing something or paying for fuel. I guess my "fear" is a LEO seeing me approaching while carrying (possibly imprinting) and over-reacting. :fie:

I respect all LEO and the job they do, but I have had minor experiences with a few cocky "Holier-than-thou". Of whom just seem to take pleasure in displaying "authority". I've read many "bad LEO encounters" and I would hate to think of what might happen if these few came in contact with someone carrying legally. Am I alone here?

Will this improve with time or am I just :wacko: for being so paranoid?

Are you carrying concealed?

Is the weapon still concealed? Or are you open carrying?

When I carry concealed (doesn't matter if its shoulder, iwb, owb..etc), its concealed. Out of sight, out of mind. I have been carrying concealed for 3 years now (short time compared to a lot of people on here), and I am not hesitant if an LEO is around, because he well never know I have it unless there is a reason to defend myself.

If you are open carrying, then I would too wait to avoid confrontation. Legal or not (depending on local laws), it makes people edgy...but thats me. A lot of people don't mind what others around them are feeling.

In conclusion, what you are doing is fine if you are open carrying. No need to worry about that non confrontational feeling. If you are truly concealed, then the feeling will go away. If you are worried it will be visible or print, go find a better holster that you feel more confident with.

:)

If it is well concealed shouldn't be a problem. I have stood next to and talked with several LEOs while armed without any issue. If they did some know they didn't say anything.

I think when permits and citizen carry was still fairly new situations like you are worried about may have happened more often but not so much now...although not saying they still couldn't.

Is the weapon still concealed? Or are you open carrying?

When I carry concealed (doesn't matter if its shoulder, iwb, owb..etc), its concealed. Out of sight, out of mind. I have been carrying concealed for 3 years now (short time compared to a lot of people on here), and I am not hesitant if an LEO is around, because he well never know I have it unless there is a reason to defend myself.

If you are open carrying, then I would too wait to avoid confrontation. Legal or not (depending on local laws), it makes people edgy...but thats me. A lot of people don't mind what others around them are feeling.

In conclusion, what you are doing is fine if you are open carrying. No need to worry about that non confrontational feeling. If you are truly concealed, then the feeling will go away. If you are worried it will be visible or print, go find a better holster that you feel more confident with.

:)

Concealed, OWB, untucked tshirt. The only time I OC is at home or on the motorcycle...I start out concealed and by the time I get going, it becomes open. All of my jackets are pretty fitted and not conducive to CC. I do have a shoulder holster I have yet to wear while riding.

A different holster is one option I'm considering.

Thanks.

If it is well concealed shouldn't be a problem. I have stood next to and talked with several LEOs while armed without any issue. If they did some know they didn't say anything.

I think when permits and citizen carry was still fairly new situations like you are worried about may have happened more often but not so much now...although not saying they still couldn't.

It depends on my shirts...t-shirts sometimes imprint, button downs rarely if at all.

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until A) the newness wears off a bit or B) get a different type holster.

Thanks.

Most of the LEO's I know like the idea of CC, not sure if you are an open carry or CC state but it is pretty much a non issue with the officers I have met. In NM, open carry while fueling, officer fueling his car made a comment "what you carrying" and exchanged gun information. See Avatar Photo. Non issue.

I was a bit nervous when I began carrying before I got my CHL, rightly so. I mostly was carrying to and from home, not just everywhere I went. I'm comfortable with my IWB rig and wear loose enough clothing to know that no one will know that I carry.

Even if open carry comes to Texas, I will continue to choose to conceal. I think it makes me less of a potential target for criminals and anti-gun liberals, though I'm not sure which is worse...

When I first started to carry many years ago I also avoided leo encounters. The problem is you never know what kind of leo yopu are going to deal with. Some are pro-gun others are anti-gun. I have experianced both. This is one of the reasons why I conceal-carry most of the time and I make sure it IS concealed. These days I go pretty much where I feel like with out being too concerned if any leo are present. If I choose to legally open-carry(or conceal-carry) and get illegally harrassed, threatened, or arrested I will file a complaint and see my lawyer. Remember the police are not all-powerful and are required to obey the law also.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

MS is a CC state. There are those who OC with permit, but from my findings it's generally at home.
My wife strongly believes in OC and we constantly debate the advantages and disadvantages...I believe mainly because of anti-gun libtards of whom she despises, but also to let anyone know she is ready, able and willing to defend herself and kids. I would rather CC just for element of surprise and not becoming a potential target.

Santa, You are correct...You NEVER know what type of LEO you're dealing. Which is why I usually avoid them all together.
If I'm ever noticed or questioned, I'll respectfully comply within my rights and just keep in mind that THEY are not above the law themselves.

As a LE officer currently in training I would just like to weigh in on my opinion on this matter. First of all, I work in a very liberal state MA and i live just over the boarder in NH. Hearing things from different officers from both states, i would say about 85% of most LE officers I have spoken to completely support private citizen carrying concealed. Both young and old officers. As far as a younger officer like myself dealing with someone in this situation, it would be a normal reaction for a young officer to be a little bit more on edge when a citizen says they have a firearm but myself and other officers must remember that the citizens that acctually CCW are probably the most law abiding people in the country. A lot of officers feel this is exactly the case and is why they support CCW, notice how I saw concealed though. I understand a lot of people on this forum love to OC which is completely fine but it does get people very nervous which is the opposite of what police want. Overall I fully support CCW even before me being in training and now that I am in training, and i think a lot more people should be more open to the idea of CCW because lets face it there are a lot of crazy people out there and the police cant be everywhere 24/7

As a LE officer currently in training I would just like to weigh in on my opinion on this matter. First of all, I work in a very liberal state MA and i live just over the boarder in NH. Hearing things from different officers from both states, i would say about 85% of most LE officers I have spoken to completely support private citizen carrying concealed. Both young and old officers. As far as a younger officer like myself dealing with someone in this situation, it would be a normal reaction for a young officer to be a little bit more on edge when a citizen says they have a firearm but myself and other officers must remember that the citizens that acctually CCW are probably the most law abiding people in the country. A lot of officers feel this is exactly the case and is why they support CCW, notice how I saw concealed though. I understand a lot of people on this forum love to OC which is completely fine but it does get people very nervous which is the opposite of what police want. Overall I fully support CCW even before me being in training and now that I am in training, and i think a lot more people should be more open to the idea of CCW because lets face it there are a lot of crazy people out there and the police cant be everywhere 24/7

Thank you very much for that input.

Lavon,

Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to be smart about it or get on your case but you are right when you think you are overreacting. If anything, you'll eventually end up triggering some cop's 'something ain't right' radar by trying to avoid him. Face it, sitting in your car outside a gas station until a cop starts to pull away don't look right. Having a slight panic attack when one walks in while you are in line to pay for your gas and cup of coffee ain't gonna look too good either. If you do your due diligence before you walk out the door and you have successfully concealed your carry gun, it is very likely he ain't gonna even notice you. If, on the other hand, you keep trying to avoid them at the gas station, then one of these days a nice officer WILL notice you are avoiding him and want to know why. My personal rule has always been, "If I can't see it in the mirror and I KNOW where to look, chances are very small that anybody else will even stand a chance of seeing where my gun is." The trick is to NOT stand out in either dress or manner. Dress in a way that doesn't draw attention to yourself. Pick clothes that look normal but are loose in the right places. Carry the gun in a holster that keeps it up against your body- especially the bottom end of the grip or mag well area.

I would like to ask...if you are legal to carry then why be nervous? If you are obvious and some law enforcement clue into your nervousness, maybe you shouldn't carry.

Good to see law enforcement people on the side of law abiding citizens who carry.
Just because people get nervous when they see a person carrying openly and call the police, don't feed off their fears. Fall into that trap and you will be part of the other 15% you mention. I know LEO's who have that attitude. Maybe you can help educate that 15% on the force who do not see it the way you do.

For those citizens who do not carry for protection, you will be working harder for them and not near as much for those who do.
Most of the public have the false sense that law enforcement are there to protect them. The SCOTUS says law enforcement have no legal duty or obligation to protect citizens. It is our legal right to protect ourselves. Law enforcement provides a service to the public to police the law breakers...that's it. Not sure if they will cover that in your training.

i think you are just being cautious. Don't ever loose that. I don't think you are paranoid either. I always double check myself if LEO is around and I started carrying 24 years ago. I have seen and read of LEO doing some stupid stuff.

I would like to ask...if you are legal to carry then why be nervous? If you are obvious and some law enforcement clue into your nervousness, maybe you shouldn't carry.

I understand what you're saying but the answer is simple... Because like everywhere else, LEO here DO over react to situations that do not require an adrenaline filled outburst. I have four friends I ride with on local VPD and two with the sheriff's department. I'm not necessarily nervous, just using my judgement, albeit good or bad. Just avoiding that 15%. Situation awareness and avoidance of a particular officer, call it reverse-profiling if you will, is just being cautious.

Lavon,

Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to be smart about it or get on your case but you are right when you think you are overreacting. If anything, you'll eventually end up triggering some cop's 'something ain't right' radar by trying to avoid him. Face it, sitting in your car outside a gas station until a cop starts to pull away don't look right. Having a slight panic attack when one walks in while you are in line to pay for your gas and cup of coffee ain't gonna look too good either. If you do your due diligence before you walk out the door and you have successfully concealed your carry gun, it is very likely he ain't gonna even notice you. If, on the other hand, you keep trying to avoid them at the gas station, then one of these days a nice officer WILL notice you are avoiding him and want to know why. My personal rule has always been, "If I can't see it in the mirror and I KNOW where to look, chances are very small that anybody else will even stand a chance of seeing where my gun is." The trick is to NOT stand out in either dress or manner. Dress in a way that doesn't draw attention to yourself. Pick clothes that look normal but are loose in the right places. Carry the gun in a holster that keeps it up against your body- especially the bottom end of the grip or mag well area.

Not at all. That's why I posted this topic. Good points to ponder. Thanks.

It's just going into a place that a leo is already occupying. If they come into where I am currently, there is no feeling what so ever...they're just another local leo. I'm sure this stems from past experience with some of the 15% mentioned and will pass in time. Maybe just time to rid years of the false sense that law enforcement are there to protect me. ;-)

I understand what you're saying but the answer is simple... Because like everywhere else, LEO here DO over react to situations that do not require an adrenaline filled outburst. I have four friends I ride with on local VPD and two with the sheriff's department. I'm not necessarily nervous, just using my judgement, albeit good or bad. Just avoiding that 15%. Situation awareness and avoidance of a particular officer, call it reverse-profiling if you will, is just being cautious.

And I completely understand you. I live in a town of 10,000 and know several LEO's personally who are with the local PD and Sheriffs Office, so I don't think about getting hassled. Don't have that 15% where I live. Now there are other towns around us that are total opposite and that percentage climbs upwards of 75% who don't think the public have the right to carry. You wouldn't think that living in Wyoming but this place has plenty of libtards running around.

The officer's opinion should have nothing to do with his treatment of law abiding citizens. If open carry is legal, it may be authorized to determine identity but beyond that it's infringement. I don't care what the fuzzy thinks of my right to open carry or CCW if I have my permit, if it's legal the cop has no right or reason to hassle me or otherwise impede my actions. The idea that "I have a badge and therefore, I'm GOD" is simply too prominant in the copshops.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - and that includes with LE.:pleasantry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back