Fw: VJ Day, Honolulu Hawaii, August 14, 1945

Tucker's Mom

Pure joy at achieving a major victory...where it was all out and holding nothing back...there was NO substitute for Victory...no second place......all or nothing.....some of you are old enough to remember the celebrations...I wasn't...but it must a nice feeling knowing that we won the fight for our freedom...

A bit of history and Jimmy Durante, too

LOST FILM - Honolulu, August 14, 1945.

JUST THINK HOW THIS YOUNG LADY FELT WHEN SHE DISCOVERED THE VIDEO HER FATHER SHOT.

Great video of a Spontaneous Victory Parade in Honolulu in 1945. Take a look at this video-absolutely fabulous! Notice the cars, jeeps, and youth. The guys in khaki or gray shirts and black ties are Navy officers or chiefs. The rest are Army or Marine. How young they all were to do what they did. This guy really captured a moment in history! (You can listen to Jimmy Durante singing "I'll be Seeing You" in the background, too) This is a super video of a time past - we need to remember and be THANKFUL.

Check out the color fidelity. It's not bad for 1945. Nothing will ever compare with Kodachrome film.

Click here for the video:

Click here: VJ Day, Honolulu Hawaii, August 14, 1945 on Vimeo

Link Removed

I wasn't in Hawaii, but I recall that day. Horns were blowing, everyone happy. The best part was when my dad was able to go to the 'filling station' and say "fill it up!"

I was 9 ;)

Nothing sweeter than to celebrate a win. Too bad we have to go through such carnage to achieve the win. That's the world we live in unfortunately. Some times power, money and control can't be worked out at a table or the ballot box.

I was watching the culmination of the 50th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth this morning and saw the fly-bys...I was thinking that at one stage, the British were the military power of the world. Then it became America and we had stayed that way for many long years now...until the annointed one came into office and begun dismantling our military...sad. He wanted only 25% of the American power out of the might that the other leaders of this country had continuously support. One small push of a pen! One careless declaration. I wish everyone will remember this this coming November.

Pure joy at achieving a major victory...where it was all out and holding nothing back...there was NO substitute for Victory...no second place......all or nothing.....some of you are old enough to remember the celebrations...I wasn't...but it must a nice feeling knowing that we won the fight for our freedom...

A bit of history and Jimmy Durante, too

LOST FILM - Honolulu, August 14, 1945.

JUST THINK HOW THIS YOUNG LADY FELT WHEN SHE DISCOVERED THE VIDEO HER FATHER SHOT.

Great video of a Spontaneous Victory Parade in Honolulu in 1945. Take a look at this video-absolutely fabulous! Notice the cars, jeeps, and youth. The guys in khaki or gray shirts and black ties are Navy officers or chiefs. The rest are Army or Marine. How young they all were to do what they did. This guy really captured a moment in history! (You can listen to Jimmy Durante singing "I'll be Seeing You" in the background, too) This is a super video of a time past - we need to remember and be THANKFUL.

Check out the color fidelity. It's not bad for 1945. Nothing will ever compare with Kodachrome film.

Click here for the video:

Click here: VJ Day, Honolulu Hawaii, August 14, 1945 on Vimeo

Link Removed
WOW! That was quick. A Vietnam buddy(also a Ham Operator) just sent this to me Monday. Apparently it's all over the country already.

love it!! I sent that to all of my VFW comrades. I am the only young one, all the rest are Vietnam and older so they will really enjoy it! One guy was actually a gunner on the B-45. Sure is a nice guy and he has some amazing stories!! I really love my VFW buddies!! Such awesome, honorable people!! (I say people because two are women :)

love it!! I sent that to all of my VFW comrades. I am the only young one, all the rest are Vietnam and older so they will really enjoy it! One guy was actually a gunner on the B-45. Sure is a nice guy and he has some amazing stories!! I really love my VFW buddies!! Such awesome, honorable people!! (I say people because two are women :)
Yes...learn to listen to them oldies...they all have nice stories to tell.

@Denny...sorry mate...I beat you to it. You could have warned me earlier so you can post it instead of me...

Yes...learn to listen to them oldies...they all have nice stories to tell.

@Denny...sorry mate...I beat you to it. You could have warned me earlier so you can post it instead of me...

Ever since I was a little guy, I've always thought I was born way too late since all of my tastes are from the past haha. I get along with older people better and enjoy the older things, music and history. I am 36 so I am not super young but still feel I was born too late haha

Getting the WWII vets I know to talk about their war experience can be a little tricking. They don't generally say anything. But when you can get them to talk, usually with other vets, sit back and enjoy the moment. They have great stories.

Getting the WWII vets I know to talk about their war experience can be a little tricking. They don't generally say anything. But when you can get them to talk, usually with other vets, sit back and enjoy the moment. They have great stories.
Yes...:yes2: you are right! But this is the part where you use your charm...:smile: and tell them you are writing a book about their experience, would they like to participate...then put a voice recorder in the middle of your table while you talk for hours...tell them to forget about the recorder...you just want to give them credit where the credit is due...will that work?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back