Full size 9 or 45?

yippeekiyay20

I live in Connecticut where I can't carry a gun with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

I am wanting to purchase a full size gun. Should I go with 10 rounds of 9mm or 10 rounds of 45 ACP?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go, and I did, with the Mid-size Kimber Eclipse II and an eight round flush fit mag. This gives me 8-1. I do not know if you just want a ten rounder or not but, I love the .45 acp. I do have and carry the Glock 22-Gen 2 but you did not have this as a choice. Just saying.

For a 9, you can go smaller and still have good control. My plan is to add a full sized 45. I already have my compact 9. Then I'll have both.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I typically carry my M&P Shield in 9mm, which I can carry 8+1 or 7+1.

I know one of the biggest advantages to carrying 9mm over 45 when it comes to full sized pistols is ammo capacity. But with the laws of CT, that argument is ruled out. So it comes down to 10 rounds of 9 or 10 rounds if 45?

It probably should be whatever I can shoot most accurately and comfortably.

9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot at the range with. Other than that it makes no difference which one you choose.

M&P 45 compact great mid size 8 rds compact or 10 rd mag for full size grip,acurate soft shooter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Howdy,

Since I'm not a 9mm fan my vote is for a .45 or even a .40S&W. My EDC is a Glock 23 and I usually carry just the mags 13 rounds with the top round chambered. If 13 rounds isn't enough to get the job done an extra round will probably not matter, with a 10 round mag limit +1 in the chamber still gives you 11 rounds of a proven manstopper.

As far as the 10 round mag limit goes, a lot of people, including myself spent many, many years carrying either a 7 +1 shot 1911 ( were not many/any 8rd 1911 mags ) or a 5 or 6 shot revolver.

Until the Mid 80's there was only a handful of semi-autos on the market that held more than 8rds namely the S&W 59, Hi-Power, and Beretta 92.

But if you are more comfortable shooting a 9mm by all means stick with a 9mm. 9mm in a full size gun has very little recoil and is a good choice for the recoil sensitive.

Paul

If you would just like to add a full size pistol- consider a 1911. It's 7+1.

Also some companies are offering it in a 9mm now. Para ordinance. Smith & Wesson performance series. STI. I believe that the mag cap is exactly 10+1.

If you would just like to add a full size pistol- consider a 1911. It's 7+1.

I agree, although you may consider a commander size (4.25 inch vs. 5 inch), still has the 7+1 capacity and feels like a full size (to me at least) but the .75 inches makes a difference and it conceals very well. Ultimately it comes down to your own personal preference and what you are comfortable with... if you are used to a 9mm and that's what you like, stick with it. Find a range (or a buddy at a range) and shoot some 45s, see how you like it. You may love the caliber and then you can join all the fun 1911 vs Glock vs whatever arguments, or you may not like the feel at all. Better to have a weapon you are comfortable and accurate with than one with a bigger bore that you are hesitant with or don't like firing.

I carry a 1911 kimber CDP PRO in 45 acp. I like the 1911 because it is thin, it has a single action trigger and the 45 acp has plenty of knock down power. But thats me, you should go to a range and try as many 9mm and 45 acp hand guns as you can. I suggest you try some glocks, kimbers, rugers,springfields,s&w m&p,karr,sig, and any other hand guns you like. Good Luck and be safe.

I'm also in the 45 fan club. If you can only have 10 rounds, might as well go as powerful as you can. I just spent time on the range with a rental Kimber Ultra Carry, which is a 3" gun. It was a 45 ACP and was a pure joy to shoot in both slow aimed and rapid fire. With a 7+1 capacity, you don't give up much. If you want all 10 rounds, their are plenty of great choices.

Point is, 45s get a bad rap for recoil, but if it fits your hand well, it is extremely manageable.

I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, I was worried about the recoil of a 45 ACP in a 3" barrel. But I didn't find that it kicks any more than my full size 1911.

Sent from my SM-G900V using USA Carry mobile app

Last edited:
My preference is a full size, all steel 1911. You can buy 8 round magazines for it, so you're only down two rounds. At about 43 ounces, it is heavy, but recoil is more than manageable.

Some folks don't think a 1911 makes a good carry gun, because it's too "complicated", but if you train with it, it isn't any harder to operate than any other gun.

If you've never fired one, give it a try. You may like it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I'm a .45 guy, kind of like the majority here. I love the fnx .45... it comes with 3 15 round mags... but you can order the 10 round mags. It is a full sized pistol if that's what you are looking for.

Also the glock 30 would something to look at too.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I typically carry my M&P Shield in 9mm, which I can carry 8+1 or 7+1.

I know one of the biggest advantages to carrying 9mm over 45 when it comes to full sized pistols is ammo capacity. But with the laws of CT, that argument is ruled out. So it comes down to 10 rounds of 9 or 10 rounds if 45?

It probably should be whatever I can shoot most accurately and comfortably.

First given that you already own an M&P I’m going to suggest you stay with that platform, that way you only have to concern yourself with one manual of arms and one consistent 6.5 pound trigger pull. Remember you are looking for a gun that if you ever have to really use it you will be doings so during a major adrenalin dump under the worst possible conditions. The fewer actions you have to take and things you have to remember the better off you’ll be.

Second I’m going to point out that all handgun calibers are suboptimal so caliber alone should never be a consideration. Buy the caliber you shoot the best.

I have carried both single stack 9mm pistols as well as high capacity .45 pistols. I have carried the other way around, too. I am one of those that believe WHERE you put the bullet is far more important than how big or fast it is. There are no magazine restrictions here in Nebraska, but I find myself carrying a Glock 30SF quite a bit. I like 10 shots of .45 more than I like 10 shots of 9mm, and I can hit pretty well with the Glock 30SF. I carry its big brother, the Glock 21SF when I am dressed to hide it. However, if I really need something slim, the 30SF is still a bit on the big side. I was at a wedding last weekend and two Walther P1 pistols in a 5.11 T-shirt hid real well. The Glock is really not much wider, but I do not like carrying a Glock chambered in anything other than a hard holster. I don't have that problem with the Walthers.

I carry a mid size 1911 for the slim profile, single action trigger and the fact that I shoot it better than any other hand gun I own. Mine is in 45 acp but you can get the same gun in 9mm. The 45 acp has more stopping power but also more kick, the 9mm has less kick and costs less to shoot so you can practice more, so you must choose for yourself.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back