For all the bashers...

Lakeland Man

How DARE this cop do this to someone! We should all rise up to prevent things like this from happening again. Those evil cops have gone too far this time.

Texas cop hands out ticket?and $100 bill | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

To those of you who routinely bash and badmouth the police, this sort of thing happens a lot. However, the general public rarely hears about it. Bad news travels fast. Good news travels very little.

And yes, I am a proud former member of the thin blue line. That line is sometimes all that stands between us and anarchy.

I think police officers do a thankless job. Every day they do things to help people and they rarely make the news. The media only cares about when police do something wrong, and that has biased many people against them.

At least this made the news

Ok ok one instance of a cop doing something nice. But here's a thought.

While driving my truck (that I just bought that day) home from the lot on February 4th, 2010, I was pulled over. Taillight was out. Tried explaining that I just bought it to the cop. Got told to shut up. He asks for insurance, I don't yet have it. He starts writing a ticket, I interrupt his mandatory insurance speech to tell him that I JUST PAID FOR IT. He stops and says, "oh, i have to radio my boss. Hold on." Long story short, once they start writing the ticket, "policy" dictates that they must finish. I had to go to court to get it overturned and it cost me half a day's paycheck, which of course I should be owed.

Maybe this Texas cop made a mistake like that and had a conscience?

So...Just to be clear.

One cop does one good thing = most cops are good.

But...

One cop does one bad thing = most cops aren't bad?

But...in my experience a lot of cops have done a lot of bad things, and a few cops have done some great things...So how does the equation play out then? ... dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuun...

Tell you what...you judge all cops by the example of a few bad ones and I'll judge them by the example of dozens I've known who were honest, hard working men and women. And I suggest that you never call on a cop to help you in your time of need. You might get one of those multitude of "bad" ones.

For the record, people like you disgust me.

Tell you what...you judge all cops by the example of a few bad ones and I'll judge them by the example of dozens I've known who were honest, hard working men and women. And I suggest that you never call on a cop to help you in your time of need. You might get one of those multitude of "bad" ones.

For the record, people like you disgust me.

And I will judge each individual cop by that particular cop's actions. How's that for a novel idea? If we judged all of the general public by the majority who actually are decent people and have no desire in intentionally committing a crime, let alone a violent crime, than why do we carry guns to protect ourselves from the less than 1% of the population that are criminals?

It's funny, we take actions to protect ourselves from the tiny percentage of the general public that are criminals by carrying guns and we are called "responsible" for carrying our guns for that reason. We talk about taking actions to protect ourselves from the tiny percentage of police officers that are bad by not officially interacting with them any more than required by law, and we are called "cop bashers".

Yes, I call you a basher. I've never heard you say anything nice about cops. Granted, I haven't read all your posts. But in the ones I HAVE read, you are extremely critical. Since you choose to lump cops, in general, in with criminals, I choose to lump you in with them as we. Especially since I've seen no evidence to prove otherwise.

Yes, I call you a basher. I've never heard you say anything nice about cops. Granted, I haven't read all your posts. But in the ones I HAVE read, you are extremely critical. Since you choose to lump cops, in general, in with criminals, I choose to lump you in with them as we. Especially since I've seen no evidence to prove otherwise.

That's because you only read what supports your opinion. Including my post you are responding to where I stated:

We talk about taking actions to protect ourselves from the tiny percentage of police officers that are bad by not officially interacting with them any more than required by law, and we are called "cop bashers".

You remind me of the anti-gun crowd who speak out against the "assault weapons" that 1. Aren't assault weapons and 2. Are only used in less than 3% of all crimes involving a firearm.

When police start lashing out on an internet forum JUST BECAUSE WE DISAGREE WITH THE TONE OF THE POST, it tends to complicate things. You have a problem with us questioning your motive?

And yes, when the armed citizen is the social pariah, we tend to take protective measures to ensure that this cop isn't another Daniel Harless. You don't know what will happen at a traffic stop, AND NEITHER DO WE.

Since you started this garbage by calling us honest citizens and veterans "bashers," how about we call you "pig" until you learn to get along?

Navy, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is an anti. He sure is quick to mount an offense against the armed citizen.

Navy, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is an anti. He sure is quick to mount an offense against the armed citizen.

Actually, it would be more anti-4th amendment than anti-2A. The 4th amendment places much more restrictions on police officers' authority than the 2nd amendment does. In fact, without the 4th amendment, the 2nd amendment would mean nothing because the government could just seize whatever firearms they wanted to based upon unjustified suspicions.

How DARE this cop do this to someone! We should all rise up to prevent things like this from happening again. Those evil cops have gone too far this time.

To those of you who routinely bash and badmouth the police, this sort of thing happens a lot. However, the general public rarely hears about it. Bad news travels fast. Good news travels very little.

And yes, I am a proud former member of the thin blue line. That line is sometimes all that stands between us and anarchy.

Not bashers, we're just not LEO groupies - not infatuated with y'all.

Last edited:

I'm in favor of privatizing a big percentage of LEO work - take it out of the hands of the labor unions and cities who have ransacked the taxpayer with exorbitant pensions payout.
Too many of you have not a clue to the servant you're supposed to be nor do you embrace the US Constitution to which you swore an oath. Particularly since 9/11, police departments have used the event to unnecessarily and excessively purchase equipment and special training which will ultimately be used against citizens. Following the federal government's strategy of not letting a crisis go to waste, police departments nationwide, large and small, are slowly but surely turning against the general population.
Stun gun-crazy and search and seizure-crazy, we're literally seeing the development of a police state. Citizens are losing control of their most basic and precious rights.
We need to do something to stall this agenda, slowly building comprehensive and practical plans to privatize large percentages of LEO work with guarantees built in to waive collective bargaining. Without all the free press LEAs solicit, they might be a bit more humble and a bit more conducive to the citizen.

I'm in favor of privatizing a big percentage of LEO work - take it out of the hands of the labor unions

Unfortunately, your first suggestion does nothing to accomplish the second. Labor unions would still be a part of privatized law enforcement. Labor unions and government regulations, hand in hand, are in my opinion killing the economy of this country.

Unfortunately, your first suggestion does nothing to accomplish the second. Labor unions would still be a part of privatized law enforcement. Labor unions and government regulations, hand in hand, are in my opinion killing the economy of this country.

I agree with you NavyLCDR. Labor unions and government [self-perpetuating] regulations are killing the USA economy. My privatized law enforcement would include a "waiver" of collective bargaining. Contracts routinely contain waivers of local, state and federal mandates.

Re: Texas cop handing out a $100 bill - lay folks do this all the time - they just don't get the free press, nor solicit for it, like LEOs and gov workers do, in general.

Sorry, I've spent a bit much time responding to Lakeland Man's post but I have to say, re: "And yes, I am a proud former member of the thin blue line. That line is sometimes all that stands between us and anarchy" ...
You and yours think too highly of yourselves. Professional police forces haven't always existed in America and we did just fine - in fact, better! Most men were armed - violent criminals and theives were usually dealt with immediately, unlike modern reactionary police bureaucracies today - plus, we have to pay you exorbitant pensions, listen to media-sponsored-police-solicited-praise-propaganda and forget that convenient store cashiers, farmers, electricians and many other professions are empirically more hazardous per hour than your job! Again, they just don't get the free press and propaganda that you enjoy!

I know that a more robust citizenry-armed society in this day and age poses some problems - young people don't mature as quickly as those 200 years ago - but still, a robust citizenry-armed society, properly trained and implemented, could replace y'all and your police labor unions in 18 months with staggering positive productivity and crime-prevention results.

Last edited:
If "Lakelandman" is a cop in Lakeland FL, were I grew up and went to high school.....we always had a saying for them....Lakeland cops beat first, and ask questions later. Of course that was 30+ years ago, but I think they still have that rep. A buddy from high school became a cop for LPD and called his badge "master badge". He said he routinely got "let off" for speeding, DUI and other traffic offenses simply by flashing his badge. I personally observed this one night after a party he drove us home from. He volunteered to drive knowing he would not get a DUI if pulled over. After dropping one guy off we left and turned onto a county road that had DUI check points all the time. That night was no different. As we got closer, we thought we were going to jail (since we were all drunk as heck) and he said, don't worry, I know this guy".... We were waved through.

I live near Tampa now and have lost touch with him, but know that he is still on the force. Still writing tickets for the same things he does "above the law". I know this is not the norm, as I did "ride alongs" with another friend that was Tampa PD. In roll call one morning, I asked him why he didn't have the stripe on his arm that a lot of the younger guys did, his response was, "they write all the tickets, I refuse to write them unless they do something really stupid".

If "Lakelandman" is a cop in Lakeland FL, were I grew up and went to high school.....we always had a saying for them....Lakeland cops beat first, and ask questions later. Of course that was 30+ years ago, but I think they still have that rep. A buddy from high school became a cop for LPD and called his badge "master badge". He said he routinely got "let off" for speeding, DUI and other traffic offenses simply by flashing his badge. I personally observed this one night after a party he drove us home from. He volunteered to drive knowing he would not get a DUI if pulled over. After dropping one guy off we left and turned onto a county road that had DUI check points all the time. That night was no different. As we got closer, we thought we were going to jail (since we were all drunk as heck) and he said, don't worry, I know this guy".... We were waved through.

I live near Tampa now and have lost touch with him, but know that he is still on the force. Still writing tickets for the same things he does "above the law". I know this is not the norm, as I did "ride alongs" with another friend that was Tampa PD. In roll call one morning, I asked him why he didn't have the stripe on his arm that a lot of the younger guys did, his response was, "they write all the tickets, I refuse to write them unless they do something really stupid".

Interesting mongo61,
I'll avoid that town at all costs. I live in the Panhandle - he's probably already run a check on me - may as well get used to - these guys can't stand to be challenged even in a civilian environment. I don't know why they even join up with the Forum - I thought the 'thin blue line' was enough socialization for them. More and more their loyalty is to policy more than the US Constitution. I hope some of them realize the trend and turn constitutional instead of maintaining the 'just doing my job' mentality.

Interesting mongo61,
I'll avoid that town at all costs. I live in the Panhandle - he's probably already run a check on me - may as well get used to - these guys can't stand to be challenged even in a civilian environment. I don't know why they even join up with the Forum - I thought the 'thin blue line' was enough socialization for them. More and more their loyalty is to policy more than the US Constitution. I hope some of them realize the trend and turn constitutional instead of maintaining the 'just doing my job' mentality.

Never gonna happen. They gotta try and control the forum too. God forbid you don't agree with them. And for all you who call me a "basher," I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only professional cop I have ever met is Chief Dan Wellumson from the Boyceville WI PD. If I have a problem with you, you are obviously not professional.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back