Flying from Philly to San Antonio

It's been a while since I've flown with a pistol and being new to ccw, I'm a bit nervous. I'm going to San Antonio for two weeks at the end of May and being that I'll be spending most of my days walking the streets of San Antonio, I want to have my pistol with me. Has anyone had any issues with flying out of Philly or out of San Antonio? Anything I need to know besides delaying the pistol at check in? Thanks.

San Antonio is a very beautiful city to explore, It is the seventh most populous city in the United States. I have never been to the city but have heard a lot about it.
It will be a very pleasureful experience for me, If i'll ever get a chance to visit the popular place. I'm sure that it will be a great experience for me.

I haven't out of Philly but I flew out of WA going to N.C. last summer, I to didn't know what to expect but I find out that it was a piece of cake so you might want to check the airline because each one is difference. This is how I flew with my G27 back to N.C..
Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

As you can see I had the Pelican box with two locks plus and thick cable tie around the hardware of the handler, now you don't have to go this way because it did add more weight to the luggage but you get the ideal. In a matter of fact I was about 10 lbs over weight in my luggage but they didn't weight it when I told them that I wanted to check in a unloaded weapon the right away call TSA and I went with them, after they check my luggage they took it to the cargo and loaded it up in the plane.

I would do it again if I was flying somewhere, I took about two mag of jhp ammo and I was good to go.

I don't know the state laws that apply, but for the airliners:

1. Hard sided case with personal locks (not tsa approved).
2. Ammo in "crush proof" container anywhere in the checked baggage (loaded mags outside of firearm are OK, original box is OK, just not loose rounds. Ammo doesn't need to be in hard sided case with the gun)
3. Key or combo stays with you, and you only. (if they need it opened, you open it).
4. Declare at check in. Pay check baggage fee if any (ie: Delta $25 first bag, $35 second bag. If your first bag is over weight (50-71 lbs), split the checked baggage, otherwise it's $100 for an overweight bag. 71+ lbs is very expensive.)
5. Pick up at normal baggage claim.

Repeat process for trip home.

Last time I flew (04/12/2015 - 04/24/2015), to and from Salt Lake City, I had no issues. The TSA at Pasco WA had me open my case (49 lbs), which I found out later was because they just wanted to see my rifle, claiming it was too dense for the x ray. Just to hear, "I told you that's what it was," between two agents. They did have me put some airline tape over my mags to "ensure the bullets dont fall out." It was good, they ended up walking me through the express security line talking about firearms.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back