First time flying with a pistol

Kyle Tharpe

Hi everyone, new to the forum, have been lurking for some time just figured id join, looks like a fine bunch of guys and gals here. Anyways Im getting ready to fly to TN, and gonna be taking my revolver for self defense, looked up the laws and all that jazz so i could bring it with me, legally.

I have a hard sided case that im going to be sticking the revolver in and locking that up (thats a given), the question I have is the case that that case is going into is a hard Pelican 1500 series case that has lock holes, can I use like master locks to lock the pelican case as well as the pistol case? Call me paranoid but i dont want anyone walking off with my weapon.

You can, but TSA will cut them off. Your best bet would be to put the pistol case in standard luggage that doesn't just scream "GUN INSIDE!"

Unloaded gun in hardsided pistol case with a factory box of ammo in the pistol case, non-TSA locks on the pistol case, declare to the luggage counter person that you have an unloaded firearm in checked baggage to declare, sign the declaration tag, put the tag next to the pistol case in standard luggage that looks like every other piece of luggage, TSA approved lock on the luggage. Follow what the luggage counter person tells you as far as any special TSA screening goes.

First off welcome to USACarry, Glad to have you aboard.

To ensure 100% Compliance while flying your best bet is to conatact TSA, and get all the details from them.

They will be able to give you all the Laws, and Rugulations.
This way you will get the correct Information, Right from those who create, and oversee these Regulations.

Good luck on you trip, hope you enjoy yourself. I have family that live about 20 miles west of Nashville.

To ensure 100% Compliance while flying your best bet is to conatact TSA, and get all the details from them.

This way you will get the correct Information, Right from those who create, and oversee these Regulations.

Respectfully, all the OP will get is the person's opinion that they talk to, which may or may not agree with the actual regulations.

Link Removed

[h=5]§ 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.[/h]
(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.
(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

You can, but TSA will cut them off. Your best bet would be to put the pistol case in standard luggage that doesn't just scream "GUN INSIDE!"

Unloaded gun in hardsided pistol case with a factory box of ammo in the pistol case, non-TSA locks on the pistol case, declare to the luggage counter person that you have an unloaded firearm in checked baggage to declare, sign the declaration tag, put the tag next to the pistol case in standard luggage that looks like every other piece of luggage, TSA approved lock on the luggage. Follow what the luggage counter person tells you as far as any special TSA screening goes.

Not saying your wrong, and you are the resident expert, but I was pretty certain the ammo could not be in the same box as the pistol. That was what I was told at the ticket counter and that suited me so now I'm confused.

Continental ticket agents, at least, like it separate. That's the way I always carry it since the first time they told me.

KK

....yeah, you posted before I wrote this and didn't see the Reg. Maybe it was just Continental or that ticket agent who had non-understanding of the reg.

Southwest says the same thing as the reg.

Ammunition

Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.
The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.
Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).
Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!

It helps to have a resident NavyLCDR!

Not saying your wrong, and you are the resident expert, but I was pretty certain the ammo could not be in the same box as the pistol. That was what I was told at the ticket counter and that suited me so now I'm confused.

Continental ticket agents, at least, like it separate. That's the way I always carry it since the first time they told me.

KK

It's right in the Federal regulations, however certain airlines may have further restrictions. If the airline has a further restriction, just put the box of ammo in the luggage instead of pistol case.

Link Removed

§ 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.
(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

Link Removed
§ 175.10 Exceptions for passengers, crewmembers, and air operators.

(8) Small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. This paragraph does not apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 49 CFR 1544.219.

As far as the ammo is concerned alligiant air doesnt require it being in a separate bag so ill use the box my ammo came in from the factory and stuff it in the same case as the pistol case. As far as the main bag goes, not real fond of using the TSA Locks to secure it. Since I bought the pelican case for the purpose of holding not only the pistol case but clothing and other stuff as well Ill go ahead and use it.

If i have to, ill call the airport and talk with someone and see what is acceptable and what isnt. Im just really paranoid about this and want to be prepared but be on the right side of the law at the same time

KK

United now operates Continental. According to Google, Continental allowed ammo in the case with the firearm or separate in luggage and United does as well:

Link Removed

No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.

First off welcome to USACarry, Glad to have you aboard.

Good luck on you trip, hope you enjoy yourself. I have family that live about 20 miles west of Nashville.

Im going to Crossvile to see a friend of mine, might try to hit some other cities while there

As far as the ammo is concerned alligiant air doesnt require it being in a separate bag so ill use the box my ammo came in from the factory and stuff it in the same case as the pistol case. As far as the main bag goes, not real fond of using the TSA Locks to secure it. Since I bought the pelican case for the purpose of holding not only the pistol case but clothing and other stuff as well Ill go ahead and use it.

If i have to, ill call the airport and talk with someone and see what is acceptable and what isnt. Im just really paranoid about this and want to be prepared but be on the right side of the law at the same time

Do whatever you want to, but a pelican case with non-TSA locks on it just screams "STEAL ME!" If you were a criminal looking to walk off with a bag, what would you pick off the carousel? The bag from Wal Mart that looks like all the other bags from Wal Mart with the TSA lock on it to keep honest people honest, or the pelican case with the padlocks?

Do you carry concealed? Isn't the purpose of carrying concealed to blend in so the gun is not noticed?

There is a reson why the airlines are prohibited from tagging your bag in any way that it contains a firearm...so why take it upon yourself to advertise that fact to the public/baggage handlers?

Do whatever you want to, but a pelican case with non-TSA locks on it just screams "STEAL ME!" If you were a criminal looking to walk off with a bag, what would you pick off the carousel? The bag from Wal Mart that looks like all the other bags from Wal Mart with the TSA lock on it to keep honest people honest, or the pelican case with the padlocks?

Do you carry concealed? Isn't the purpose of carrying concealed to blend in so the gun is not noticed?

There is a reson why the airlines are prohibited from tagging your bag in any way that it contains a firearm...so why take it upon yourself to advertise that fact to the public/baggage handlers?

Yea i do and yes you do make a good point. Ill use the pelican case as a range bag and grab a normal suitcase for my travels. Sometimes I dont see the forest for the trees. I just get so wrapped up in the prepping for the trip and ignore the whole "concealment" aspect of it all. Can you tell Im a bit nervous? :redface:

I thought about not going with my carry arm but after being robbed at gunpoint and vowing to never let that happen again, I reconsidered it and if I didnt, why the hell did i get my permit to begin with?

I flew to Denver going to Cheyenne. Got my bag off the carousel, got my rental car, pulled the locked pistol case out of my everyday luggage on the seat next to me. As soon as I hit the Denver county line I opened the case retrieved the box of ammo, loaded the magazine, loaded the gun, and put it on my belt. Keep you holster handy in the luggage!

I flew to Denver going to Cheyenne. Got my bag off the carousel, got my rental car, pulled the locked pistol case out of my everyday luggage on the seat next to me. As soon as I hit the Denver county line I opened the case retrieved the box of ammo, loaded the magazine, loaded the gun, and put it on my belt. Keep you holster handy in the luggage!

Are you from CO? My folks and brother live in the Denver area and I thought I read they only accept a resident permit. Has that changed too?

KK

Are you from CO? My folks and brother live in the Denver area and I thought I read they only accept a resident permit. Has that changed too?

KK

No, I am originally from Cheyenne, but now a Washington resident with a Washington CPL, not recognized by Colorado or Wyoming. I open carried with no license required. That's why I had to wait to the Denver county line (on the way out) to load up and carry.

This past Saturday I flew from Denver to San Antonio. (4-14-12). My pistol was in a hard case, padlocked, disassembled with 40 rounds of ammo in the case as well. I declared, filled out the tag, the baggage handler take me to the TSA screening area, x rayed the bag and on my way I went. No hassle at all. Now, despite what the TSA regs say, things are done differently at different airports. One lady in Dallas insisted that I put the declaration tag on the OUTSIDE of my checked bag (airline rep, not TSA). I kicked up a big fuss at this and a TSA rep came over and got her straight. i have had ticket reps tall me to tag the outside of the luggage, put the tag on the case and once, inside the case. No one is on the same page. Also, In other airports they physically inspect the firearm, not using x rays. there is a hell of a lot if differences per airport. It all depends on where you are flying from and who you are dealing with that particular day. Keep a level head and be prepared for differences. Good Luck.
MR

Yea i do and yes you do make a good point. Ill use the pelican case as a range bag and grab a normal suitcase for my travels. Sometimes I dont see the forest for the trees. I just get so wrapped up in the prepping for the trip and ignore the whole "concealment" aspect of it all. Can you tell Im a bit nervous? :redface:

I thought about not going with my carry arm but after being robbed at gunpoint and vowing to never let that happen again, I reconsidered it and if I didn't, why the hell did i get my permit to begin with?

Don't be nervous . I travel often with my guns . as already stated above on how to keep your pack your guns the only thing I do different is I keep a copy of the TSA regulations in a binder i am have made hanging in my suit case so when you open the case you can see the regulations. I also have copies of the states I am licensed for in the same binder. If I am traveling for a competition I leave a copy of my registration sheet in the same binder. I live in NY so I always have Low capacity Magazine . I use the Box that came with one of my Kimbers in as I can fit 3 of my guns in it and can put a lock on it. I use my other Kimber case to hold my unloaded magazines that I also lock.I have a short cable (came with my Car safe) that I use to tether my gun cases to each other and then to the back bone of my suit case. Most of the people you will deal with in the airport have little or no training and may have to call there supervisor or the police.Its all normal so dont get nervous if they do .Do only what they ask you to do.I also put a a chamber saftey flag in all of my guns so they know they are unloaded with out handling my firearms Link Removed

All my locks are keyed alike and I wear the Key around my neck like a necklace and tuck it under my shirt.

Best of Luck and be safe

How I Do It

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Review Link Removed to understand TSA policies and procedures. Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.
  2. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
  3. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
    • If the weapon is a:
      • semi-automatic
        • lock the slide open
        • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
      • revolver, flip the cylinder out
    • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
      • it invites questions about them being loaded
      • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
  4. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
    • To determine if the ammo
      • MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
      • can fly in loaded magazines
    • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazine top where the cartridges are visible.
    • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
  5. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
  6. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
    • If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
    • The labeling should be limited to:
      • Your Name
      • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
      • Your personal email address - if you have one
      • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
  7. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
  8. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
  9. Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Link Removed) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
    • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
    • if the TSA wants to see
  10. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
    • airline
    • FAA Regional Office
    • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps to determine:
    • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
    • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
    • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
  2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/doj_doc_nyc_air.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.

Wow, this is just the info I've been looking for! I'm buying an AR-15 from my friend in CO to take back home in WI. I won't be taking any ammo. So I will have the rifel and the magazines in the same hard sided case. The main down side here is that I can't put it into another case to sort of "hide" it from the general public prior to checking it.
Anything I should be aware of? Thanks all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back