First Long Gun - LMT AR-15 Mods and Chambering

skipster

True then and True Today
I have settled on an LMT as my first AR-15 and have an idea how I would like to mod it. I am looking for validation of the mods I am thinking of making and would like your thoughts on the caliber of the AR-15 (5.56 or 6.8SPC).
I plan on purchasing an Defender Standard Model 16 with SOPMOD Stock with a 16" barrel. The mods I plan on making will be
1. Have the front sight/gas block shaved down to a low profile
2. Remove the military carbine handguards and replace with Troy BattleRail TRX Extreme 11" or 13.8"
3. Install Troy Front and Rear Tritium HK Folding Sights
4. Install Troy Modular Combat Grip
5. Install Troy Q.D. 360 Rail Mount - Push Button
6. In the near future I will be adding AimPoint RedDot sights

The primary purpose of this weapon is Home Defense, Range Shooting and SHTF bugout weapon. I am vacillating between the 6.8SPC because of it's "better" ballistics and stopping power inside 400 yards and the 5.56 due to it's better performance beyond 400 yards and availability. I cannot conceive doing any shooting at anything beyond 400 yards but you never know. I plan on using Hornady 6.8mm SPC 110 gr V-MAX or the 223 Rem 55 gr V-MAX (Hornady does not offer a 5.56). I am thinking for Home Defense that a bullet that fragments when it hits something would be a good thing so I do not shoot the neighbors. I am hoping that the 16" barrel will give me enough velocity at the shorter ranges inside the house to fragment the bullet.

Personally I like the LaRue Tactical rails system as well the Daniel Defense or the Knights URX II in the mid length. What length is your gas system going to be ? Carbine, Mid, or Rifle lenght ??

I'm just not a Troy fan, unless your talking front and rear back up iron sights. Their rails are GTG but If the military trusts the above mentioned names then that's where I'd stick, unless your just stuck on Troy products, nothing about them is sub par, it's great stuff.

Do not cut your standard sight block. Find a low pro from Vltor, Larue etc and just remove the standard front sight block or replace it with an YHM flip up sight block or other high end flip up gas block. It will look better and you can install a slightly longer rail system over it and use a Troy or LMT rail mounted front sight. Take your pick of front sight systems, there are many out there to check on the internet.

Get the SOPMOD stock, you'll be wanting it later if you get the Defender lower with a standard M4 stock. The Vltor EMOD stock is becoming more of a favorite than the SOPMOD stock these day's, but many still use the SOPMOD too.

KNS Precision MOD O anti rotating trigger and hammer set. Every AR rifle should have this from the start. It's $39 and will be the best $39 you spend on your AR rifle.

Haven't looked at the Troy VFG, but the standard is the Tango Down with the throw lever from American Defense Manufacturing. I like these VFG's much more than anything else on the market. Mine has the removable piece for the Surefire remote pressure pad for their mounted tactical lights. Fine piece of gear, still looks fairly military unlike alot of the VFG's out their on the market. It's a personal preference thing, but Tango down is the most used besides the Knights VFG. I'ms sure the Troy modular grip is good to go also just throwing another one or two options out there that have been battle tested.

LMT is an excellent choice. If it where me I'd just pony up for the MRP upper or their MRP Piston upper with the Defender lower and the SOPMOD already in the package.

Good Luck. LMT Rocks !!!!

Personally I like the LaRue Tactical rails system as well the Daniel Defense or the Knights URX II in the mid length. What length is your gas system going to be ? Carbine, Mid, or Rifle lenght ??

I'm just not a Troy fan, unless your talking front and rear back up iron sights. Their rails are GTG but If the military trusts the above mentioned names then that's where I'd stick, unless your just stuck on Troy products, nothing about them is sub par, it's great stuff.

Do not cut your standard sight block. Find a low pro from Vltor, Larue etc and just remove the standard front sight block or replace it with an YHM flip up sight block or other high end flip up gas block. It will look better and you can install a slightly longer rail system over it and use a Troy or LMT rail mounted front sight. Take your pick of front sight systems, there are many out there to check on the internet.

Get the SOPMOD stock, you'll be wanting it later if you get the Defender lower with a standard M4 stock. The Vltor EMOD stock is becoming more of a favorite than the SOPMOD stock these day's, but many still use the SOPMOD too.

KNS Precision MOD O anti rotating trigger and hammer set. Every AR rifle should have this from the start. It's $39 and will be the best $39 you spend on your AR rifle.

Haven't looked at the Troy VFG, but the standard is the Tango Down with the throw lever from American Defense Manufacturing. I like these VFG's much more than anything else on the market. Mine has the removable piece for the Surefire remote pressure pad for their mounted tactical lights. Fine piece of gear, still looks fairly military unlike alot of the VFG's out their on the market. It's a personal preference thing, but Tango down is the most used besides the Knights VFG. I'ms sure the Troy modular grip is good to go also just throwing another one or two options out there that have been battle tested.

LMT is an excellent choice. If it where me I'd just pony up for the MRP upper or their MRP Piston upper with the Defender lower and the SOPMOD already in the package.

Good Luck. LMT Rocks !!!!

I am reconsidering the configuration for my LMT rifle. Instead I am going to build my rifle from components. That way I can get the longer MRP rail kit and do not need to cut down the front sight, etc.
Also I could not find the KNS Precision MOD O anti rotating trigger and hammer set that you mentioned, KNS only lists Gen 2 Mod 2 Non-Rotating Trig/Ham Pins.

L7RA1A Standard MRP (rifle) version with Options: barrel: 5.56, 16", 1/7 Chrome Lined
L7XA3 5.56, Enhanced S/A Bolt Carrier Group
LMP103T Tactical Charging Handle Assembly
L7DA4 Defender Lower with SOPMOD Stock, Semi-Auto 2 Stage Trigger, Ambi Selector and Ergo Pistol Grip
L7S1KIT MRP/CQB Kit, Black
PR-4 Carbine SP Sling Mount, Tango Down
BGV-MK46 Vertical Battlegrip, Tango Down
SB100 Rail Grabber Sling Mount
BGP4S Rail panel w/ pressure switch MRP/CQB w/ LMT Logo (1 each)
L9A 30 round magazine, .223

Troy Iron Backup Front and Rear Iron Sights
SSIG-FBS-FHBT-02 Troy BattleSight Front Tritium HK Folding
ST00-ADJ-000T-00 Troy BattleSight Adjustment Tool
SSIG-FBS-RTBT-00 Troy BattleSight Rear Tritium Folding

NRTHPMOD2 Gen 2 Mod 2 Non-Rotating Trig/Ham Pins

I am also thinking of getting the following Red Dot Sight.
AimPoint Red Dot Sight.
AP-COMPM4 CompM4

Comments? Anything I have forgotten?

--Skip

Everything looks good.

I haven't looked at the KNS site in a while, but that is basically the same set of pins with the outer bar, just a different shape, I believe.

That's going to be one nice rifle.

Take a look at Bravo Company's Gunfighter MOD 3 Charging handle. So far, it's the finest charger I have used and I've used just about all of the large latch type chargers at one time or another.

The Aimpoint M4 is nice, if that's what your wanting is a close combat optic. For your longer shots something with a slight variable power or fixed power may suit you.

Well the LMT Upper shipped today, but the dealer I ordered the LMT lower from was not an authorized dealer so had to do the FFL paperwork, etc. Bummer, he did not order my lower until today, oh well!

I looked at Bravo Company's Gunfighter MOD 3 Charging handle and probably will go ahead and get it. Question though, the handle comes in three sizes: Mod 3 Large, Mod 4 Medium and Mod 5 Small. I take it you would recommend the Mod 3 Large handle.

I am looking at the AimPoint 3x Magnifier with the Samson Quick Flip AimPoint Mount which allows the 3x Magnifier to flip aside for instant transition from Long-Range To Close-Range Targeting. That will probably have to wait for my birthday or Christmas though.

Thanks for all the advice; I am really getting excited about the new weapon. I will post pictures when I get it all together.

Well the LMT Upper shipped today, but the dealer I ordered the LMT lower from was not an authorized dealer so had to do the FFL paperwork, etc. Bummer, he did not order my lower until today, oh well!

I looked at Bravo Company's Gunfighter MOD 3 Charging handle and probably will go ahead and get it. Question though, the handle comes in three sizes: Mod 3 Large, Mod 4 Medium and Mod 5 Small. I take it you would recommend the Mod 3 Large handle.

I am looking at the AimPoint 3x Magnifier with the Samson Quick Flip AimPoint Mount which allows the 3x Magnifier to flip aside for instant transition from Long-Range To Close-Range Targeting. That will probably have to wait for my birthday or Christmas though.

Thanks for all the advice; I am really getting excited about the new weapon. I will post pictures when I get it all together.

Yes, I like the MOD 3 large charger. Some guy's may not go for the large latch due to kit issues when the rifle is slung but I'v had no problems with it hanging up on MOLLE gear, thus far. I use just my off hand index finger on the large latch and it is easily charged and quickly without the need to use two fingers via a standard charger. YMMV.

As for the optics you mentioned. I too use the Aimpoint 3x magnifier with the Aimpoint M4. I would seriously look at the Larue Tactical "Pivot" mount for just that purpose. Call me loyal, but I have yet to find any mounts that surpass that of LaRue Tactical. They have been truly inovators in a market swamped with stolen idea's and patents. Again Link Removed You wont be displeased with mounting your optics on LaRue stuff.

It is a versatile system, in my opinion, vs an ACOG or other CCO type optic setup. Unless you want to dedicate a variable type optic for wind holds, hold offs range estimation etc. So far I"ve been pleased with the two optics running tandem on the flat top reciever. Very easy and quick to get the magnifier into place behind the red dot for those 200-300 yard shots. Again, YMMV. Eotech has the same/similar system. Same price range, give or take.

Congratulations, you chose a quality brand rifle. No skimping in their manufacturing processes, nor any sub par materials being used with LMT.

I have been communicating with LaRue and have decided on the LT649 Flip mount. The question that I have is should I go with the LT649-S (short mount) and the LT659-NV (Mid height) (or Aimpoint CompM4s factory mount and spacer) to get full center co-witness or the LT659-T/LT649-T to get 1/3rd co-witness. IMHO since both front and rear Troy sights are folding (by the way I got the new Troy Front Folding HK BattleSights with the Rapid Adjust feature) I do not think that a full center co-witness would be an issue. What is your opinion?

Without looking at LaRue's site I went with the higher pivot mount, I believe it is the 649 and the other is for the Eotech magnifier. Not sure which nomenclature the riser mount for the CompM4 is though. They are both aligned at the same height off the rail.

I too use the Troy H&K style front iron and Troy rear. They are 1/3rd co-witness.

If you purchase the proper mounts your irons will be in the bottom 1/3rd of your field of view. I'd personally not want them up any higher in the optics glass, that's just me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back