First handgun

dfitch1211

My 21st birthday is coming up. So I'll soon be headed to some gun stores to purchase my*cc gun. Obviously I will try out some before buying.
Anyone have any suggestions from personal experience which guns I should stay clear of or which ones I should definitely try.
I already know I'm going to get what I pay for, but I just want to know if there are any guns in your experiences that went well and beyond expectations regardless of price or were a real letdown for what you paid.

Glock 19, S&W M&P, Sig Sauer, FN and Ruger are all good guns to look for. Taurus is hit or miss. Stay away from hi-point, Jennings or Bersa. 9mm minimal caliber but highly recommended by me

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

My best advice is to try different brands and calibers, and buy the best you get along with. As per quality, I prefer Glocks. They are inexpensive, reliable, accurate and very simple to repair or modify. To me, that's the best choice for beginners.

I have nothing against Sig Sauer, FN or HK, except that they are way too expensive. I've seen a lot of people who bought them only to find out they're not what was expected. People think that high price equals reliability, and it not always works that way.

I think it would good to research any gun before you buy. Whats good for one person may not be for another. Go to your local gun store and try a few. After you settle on one and if you can ask some one with the same gun how they like it. The main thing is research and how it feel for you. GOOD LUCK FINDING YOUR GUN!!!

Here's the quick and the dirty. Why do you want the handgun? If it's personal protection, then you want a firearm that is no frills. It works, it takes a beating, it's easy to take down to repair. One manufacturer started that line. That line is called Glock. However, Springfield and M&P sure have modeled well after them. Also for personal protection, the minimum I personally would go with caliber is 9mm. The .40 or .45 will do you better. (And no, I'm not asking to get into a caliber war) But before you buy, try. Make sure it is something that YOU can fire well, that feels good in YOUR hand, and one that YOU will carry with you.

If you want the firearm for competition, then there are whole lot of other questions to answer that someone in competitions could help you with.

If you just want a plinker, then I'd suggest some of the more widely-known name-brand firearms out there in a .22. Ruger Mark III comes to mind as a decent one, but there are many more like the Beretta Neo, et al.

Agree with other posters, research, try out various makes and calibers if you can, What fits most comfortably in your hand is very important. How much shooting experience do you have? My first CC gun was a M&P40c, nice pistol and goes bang everytime I pull the trigger but I don't like the trigger and it is a little snappier than I like so that my accuracy is not nearly the same as some of my other pistols. I never used to like Glocks and really can't remember why at the moment but I now have three of them. Dependable, reliable, easy to take down and clean and very accurate with minimal practice. My favorite EDC is a G26 that I found used at the LGS for 300 bucks and was fired very little. I'm a small guy and it is very easy and comfortable to CC. I shoot the G26 very well and can maintain some really nice groups. I figure I will carry what I am most accurate and comfortable with. I also recently purchased a Sig P938, very nice and tiny pistol. Perfect for CC. A little pricier than the glocks but I found it too is accurate and reliable for me but just doesn't carry as many rounds. I wish you luck in your search for just the right one. I couldn't decide on my favorite EDC until after the 9th handgun purchase. Regards....

If you can find a gun range that rents guns( most do that I know) and go try different brands and calibers. In my opinion everyone is different in feel and likes. And when it comes to brands and what works and doesn't, well that will usually cause a war because of before mentioned reasons( everyone is different) and has had good and bad experiences. Best advice is find the caliber you like and go try different brands models for yourself. If you stick to name brands you should be fine. Price is your option but quality usually costs. Also stick around this site read and ask questions, this is good group of people. Good luck and enjoy.

A Range that rents is your very best bet. However it does depend on what they rent.
Kiss A Lot Of Frogs.
9mm Minimum. Pay attention to recoil, trigger, size, cost... you don't want to fall in love with a gun you can't afford.
As I have stated in the past, For me the trigger pull is just about the most important thing.
For about $405.00 you can score a very nice brand new Ruger SR9c from Buds or the Kentucky Gun company, free delivery.
I think the Ruger makes a perfect first carry.
If you live near me, lets hit the range!

Go to a range and rent and use a number of different firearms before you decide what to buy. For personal protection I would recommend 9mm at a minimum. I'm a .45 fan myself and prefer Glock because of price, reliability and accuracy. However, you may find something else that works better for you.

Glock 19, S&W M&P, Sig Sauer, FN and Ruger are all good guns to look for. Taurus is hit or miss. Stay away from hi-point, Jennings or Bersa. 9mm minimal caliber but highly recommended by me

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
WTH you have against Bersa? They are better than Taurus (which I own 5 of with no problems) in quality and workmanship. please explain what is so bad with Bersa that you group them in with Jennings which is probably one of the worst gun manufacturers ever.

Have S&W M&P compact 40, a sig p239 both bought new, a kimber ultra carry + bought used and my edc that I feel best with that shoots anything is more accurate than I am, is a used HK usp compact .40. A police trade in that I would never part with. Best $525 I have spent on a firearm. Bet my life on it! So listen to the advice but take "best" brands with a grain of salt. Find what works for you. I hate glocks but wouldn't talk anyone out of one as they are fine firearms just not for me.

I have nothing against Sig Sauer, FN or HK, except that they are way too expensive. I've seen a lot of people who bought them only to find out they're not what was expected. People think that high price equals reliability, and it not always works that way.

I find FN's moderate in price and they come with 3 magazines. I have an interest in the FNX40

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You some very good advice from all the other members, it is a must that you try several guns before you buy, and absolutely a 9mm minimum, next would be a 45 with a 40 as last choice and this is only because the 40 has the most recoil, and at first stay away from the small lightweight, 9s and 40s and even some of the small compact 45s stay with at least a midsize gun, the super small may conceal easy but are a real b***h to shoot as the strong recoil really hurts or at least real annoying,

I like Wolf_fire's suggestions. My youngest sons first handgun at age 23, was the Glock 27,40 S&W. He has had it for 12 years now and really loves that pistol. Rugged and dependable it's been with him in dozens of states as he travels the country in his airline career.

He's picked up several more handguns along the way, but that baby Glock 40 will always be his favorite. I doubt if he'll ever sell it.
I have the Glock 36 .45 ACP. 10 years and counting and never a problem. It's hard to kill Glocks. They just keep on functioning. A very large percentage of Americas police departments seem to agree.

WTH you have against Bersa? They are better than Taurus (which I own 5 of with no problems) in quality and workmanship. please explain what is so bad with Bersa that you group them in with Jennings which is probably one of the worst gun manufacturers ever.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, I have owned 5 Bersa's over the years, never had a operational issue with any of them they ALL shot very well and looked to be well built, so please explain what exactly was you problem with Bersa's, and diesel 44, I agree with you on the Jennings, and Hi-point, but shame on you for including Bersa and Taurus with that junk

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Get some basic training FIRST. At this point you need fundamentals, not run and gun, or force on force. Reputable instructors will provide a host of handguns and holsters for you to experience in class. That will give you some idea of where your preferences might lead you in handgun selection. Then.....

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion... again....get some training......proper shooting techniques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right. Most gun shops have a box of used holsters that you can experiment with after you've chosen what gun works best for you. There are many options for concealed/open carry.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can consistently hit your target.

If you're buying a handgun for home protection, and you choose to NOT have it on your person, you should consider where in your home you might be if someone kicks the door in. I don't see a person in a position to be able to ask an intruder to "hang on a sec, while I get my gun"

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil...I've known more than a few gents who didn't care for the recoil of what's often called a "ladies gun"... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

Yes, my thoughts exactly, I have owned 5 Bersa's over the years, never had a operational issue with any of them they ALL shot very well and looked to be well built, so please explain what exactly was you problem with Bersa's, and diesel 44, I agree with you on the Jennings, and Hi-point, but shame on you for including Bersa and Taurus with that junk guns also.

I would also like to know why you don't like Bersa guns. I have 2 Bersa Thunder 9mm UC Pro guns with around 2,000 rounds through them and I have NEVER has a failure of any kind with them. They go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back