First concealed carry weapon, making choices...

Peregrine Falcon

Peregrine Falcon
I am very close to purchaising what I intend to be my first concealed carry weapon, after I become proficient with it and go through all necessary classes and such of course. I am not a stranger to guns at all and have fired many types of rifles, shotguns and handguns; this will be the first handgun I have owned. If you know me I can be wordy but I'll try to keep the rest of this short.

I am trying to choose between the Glock 19 or Springfield XD 9 and buying both (although fun) really isn't an option for me. They both seem to be excellent guns and the more I learn the harder the decision gets. I saw someone on this forum state/imply that the best self defense gun is the one you take with you everywhere. I interpret that as the more likely you are to leave it at home the less useful it is overall. I'm looking for something that I'll find a way to conceal regardless of what I wear w/out being too small and w/out having a holster for every body part (I don't want to forget where I put it). I would be looking to conceal while dressing "business casual" at times which makes things a little more compllicated; I don't/can't always wear baggy clothes with shirts untucked.

With all of that said, the Glock is a little smaller, lighter and would likely be easier for me to get used to having as a 24/7 carry gun. They also have a great reputation and I have several friends that have Glocks (both have .40). I've found the XD to have a good reputation, I like the thought of the grip safety and the indicators that can be felt in the dark. I had a chance to hold both of them during the same visit to a gun shop and the XD felt better to hold, I have small hands and the glock grip was a little fat for me to feel comfortable gripping but nothing at all I couldn't get used to. I do plan to go to a range and rent both within the next 3 days to help me decide further.

I did read the piece below from canus lupis in the thread on whether or not to carry w/one in the chamber (EXCELLENT info in that thread) and have taken these thoughts into consideration as well; almost taking it to mean for me that an XD might not be the best choice for a first time carry gun. Not that I wouldn't train sufficiently...

"My biggest concern is in the heat of a CQC situation I have to ensure I handle the weapon perfectly or it locks-up, as it is supposed to, any one picking an XD-9 up if I drop it may not even figure out the safeties B 4 I am 2 blocks away & still running for my back-up. So depending on the gun, the shooter's familiarity with it (a must for Springfield's vs. say a Glock), the situation and the perp make it either a very fast draw/point/shoot weapon in practiced hands or a 'Hold up a second B 4 U knife me while I figure this bastard out!" SNAFU."

I hope that wasn't too wordy a question for a first post, I'd appreciate any feedback.

I have an XD 9 Tactical that will be my carry weapon when I get my CHL in OR. Mine did not come with a thumb safety, but does have the trigger and grip safeties. As long as your grip is snug on the gun, it is draw point and shoot. I have fired the Glock and the XD and have found no problem with either. That said, I still prefer my XD. Renting and shooting each is a good idea, and I would wait until you have done so before making a decision. You may find that when loaded one balances better for you than the other, or maybe just feels better in your hand. I personally would go with that and not something that I had to get used to. Just my 2 cents worth.

Keith

I have a Glock 23, .40 caliber for my usual carry but I also have an XDm 9mm as a BUG. I like them both. The Glock's grip is a little bit bulky for my small hand but it hasn't failed me yet. So I am sticking to it. On the other hand, my XD is very comfortable for my hand so I am looking at buying another one -- a 357 -- soon as I really like the grip better. Soon as I have my new XD, I'll be willing to leave my Glock home.

You have to go to a store and try the type of gun you want, I mean, hold it in your hands and get the feel of it, then make your decision....

YMMV.:pleasantry:

My trip to the range had to be delayed until Friday but no worries I'll get there. Holding both in my hand in the store actually made the decision harder as I was leaning toward the Glock 19 until I did that. Thanks for the feedback there's a lot of good info on this forum for sure!

Last edited:
Just made a Phantom deep concealment holster for a customers XD40 which is his carry gun... it did not conceal as well as the Glock... if that is of any concern... if concealment is a high priority... you may want to add one of the Kahr models into the mix... it does conceal well.

+1 on looking at Kahr pistols. They conceal well and are very reliable.

Amen Kudzu... how about that trigger? except for maybe the Para LDA the trigger on the Kahr is awesome... and as any good shooter knows... the 2 vital elements to accuracy is "FRONT SITE & TRIGGER CONTROL."

Range Trip Results

Ok, I made it to the range yesterday, rent both the XD-9 4" and a Glock 19 and made some observations. Overall I shot the XD-9 better although the shop geeks stated accuracy with either would improve w/practice and I FREELY admit that I'll need plenty of that.

I made one observation that I'm thinking = problem that I wanted to share. When I grip both guns they way that feels most comfortable and natural (backstrap on the webbing between my thumb and trigger finger) I actually had trouble reaching the trigger of BOTH guns. I had read and was trying to be conscious to pull the trigger with only the "pad" on the first segment of my index finger (rather than putting the trigger into the crease between the first two segments of my finger). Even doing that comfortably required me to rotate my grip to move my finger forward, putting to a point where I was almost wrapping my thumb around the backstrap of the pistol.

Overall I'm thinking that means neither gun really fits my hand the way it should. As I pointed out previously I have short fingers; I type faster than average and had little to no trouble taking piano for 15 years but it's a problem now. :wacko:

I did look into Kahr as recomended. Unfortunately finding one to buy is going to be next to impossible unless I order it from somewhere which due to the expense of the gun to start with is going to make it cost prohibitivefor me. I called dealers as far away as 2 hours drive and none had any in stock. After the experience described above I'm VERY hesitant to buy a gun I can't at least hold first.

So here's my new question. What's a reliable gun model, not huge, that may fit a smaller hand better? I was leaning toward Springfield and Glock on reputation but I'm wondering where to go now? First is back to a gun shop where I can hold more guns.

Thanks for all the help guys! This forum has been a good source of info for me.

UPDATE: I just returned from a local gun store and I think I have found something that will solve most if not all of my issues. Ruger SR9 (I like the stainless variety) had a more slender grip, even with the larger version of the adjustable backstrap (only way they displayed it) my trigger finger could almost reach to the front of the trigger guard. I think the slender grip may also resolve my potential concealment issues. Any more feedback on my new potential choice?

Last edited:
Wow... tough sit sounds like... the gun shop you're working with have a Para LDA? It seem that you are leaning towards a DA so I assume 1911 style is out. Really to bad that you can't get a hold of a Kahr.. Any M&P's around for you to feel... how about Sig.:pleasantry:

Wow...

If I could get to shoot any gun at least HALF as good as that guy shot that Glock 19 I'd be real happy. I have friends that are a part of the "Glock religion" so I walked into my purchase thinking I was going to buy a Glock. I'm a person that likes options so I found another one with the XD, then every other gun I handled seemed to feel better in my hand than a Glock. After shooting them there was no way my hands are too small. I have nothing against Glocks I just don't think I'd be able to shoot them well due to their fit to my hand.

I did end up buying that Ruger SR9, price was right, I have always liked the look of stainless steel bi-tone handguns and they had one with a price I could live with. Another friend who has had a CCP for a while now had a Ruger P (90 I think) as his carry gun for a while but has recently switched to a Glock 23. He had good things to say about Ruger in general and I haven't heard horror stories about them like I have some other brands (Taurs). I think the slender grip will not only allow me to shoot it better but will also resolve some of the concealment issues I mentioned in my first post so it was a winner all the way around.

Yes I was leaning DA, wanted striker fired, liked the extra safety's of the XD (Ruger SR9 has a thumb safety). I had heard things about a 1911 that made me think I could have gotten used to one. The thought of 2 different trigger pulls ona SA/DA didn't appeal to me; that's what I REALLY decided I wanted to avoid.

After holding the Ruger SR9 I was comfortable that it would work well for me. I held some S&W too, one was an M&P I think but I still liked the Ruger better after it was all said and done. All the Sig's I saw were a little pricy for me and I was comfortable I could find a good gun for less than the Sig's I was seeing.

I'll have to do the traditional thing for the forum and take some pictures of it to post.

...I did end up buying that Ruger SR9, price was right, I have always liked the look of stainless steel bi-tone handguns and they had one with a price I could live with. Another friend who has had a CCP for a while now had a Ruger P (90 I think) as his carry gun for a while but has recently switched to a Glock 23. He had good things to say about Ruger in general and I haven't heard horror stories about them like I have some other brands (Taurs). I think the slender grip will not only allow me to shoot it better but will also resolve some of the concealment issues I mentioned in my first post so it was a winner all the way around.

...The thought of 2 different trigger pulls ona SA/DA didn't appeal to me; that's what I REALLY decided I wanted to avoid.

After holding the Ruger SR9 I was comfortable that it would work well for me. ...I still liked the Ruger better after it was all said and done.
Congratulations! You've made a good decision based on what is important to you and that's what really matters. Now, enjoy shooting it and becoming proficient with it.

The Ruger is a great weapon, as is the XD and the Glock, and I understand your reasoning for the Ruger, that being said, personaly I would advise for someone new to concealed carry, I would recamend the glock, I have and have had several hand guns both Pistols and Revolvers, and the very most important thing with a carry weapon is that when you pull it from its holster especialy if its in a tense situation, that it go's BOOM, and I dont think I will get any argument that the Glock is without a doubt one of the most reliable firearms there is, true they dont fit everybody, and its most important that it does or at least the shooter is somewhst comfortable with it

Glock...

the very most important thing with a carry weapon is that when you pull it from its holster especialy if its in a tense situation, that it go's BOOM, and I dont think I will get any argument that the Glock is without a doubt one of the most reliable firearms there is, true they dont fit everybody, and its most important that it does or at least the shooter is somewhst comfortable with it

I really don't disagree with anything you've said. If this thread keeps going I'll see if I can get a picture of what it looks like when I grip a Glock so you can see.

I have a friend who is not new to concealed carry, he also lives out in the country so I took my Ruger to his house w/200 rounds of FMJ to start practicing w/someone who knows what he's doing. We had a good time, he has a Ruger P95 that was one of his main carry guns but he now has a Glock 23 (same frame as Glock 19 in a .40). I showed him where my trigger finger falls when I grip the Glock properly and he agreed that it didn't fit my hand well. I showed him how I ended up having to grip it to feel comfortable pulling the trigger (with only the very tip of my finger, not w/the trigger in the crease) and he shook his head, said you can't hold it like that.

All that to say I do like Glocks from what I ve heard about them for reliability; I just have short fingers and they don't fit my hand. I had a lot of fun shooting my Ruger Saturday...

I own several Ruger revolvers, and they are all top notch quality wise. No first hand experience with the pistol you bought, but while reliability is paramount so is your comfort. If you can't comfortably hold the Glock then there is really no reason to get one. It will only hinder your accuracy, and more importantly detract from the enjoyment you get from shooting it.

It sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong) you're a relatively inexperienced shooter. It's vital that you are comfortable handling a firearm, so as far as I'm concerned you made the right choice for your first handgun. And in all honestly, I'm not big on Glock's, I find them uncomfortable to hold as well and my hands are slightly larger than average. They're a great reliable gun, but if it doesn't feel right in my hand it has no place being put into a situation where I may depend on it to save my life.

I really don't disagree with anything you've said. If this thread keeps going I'll see if I can get a picture of what it looks like when I grip a Glock so you can see.

I have a friend who is not new to concealed carry, he also lives out in the country so I took my Ruger to his house w/200 rounds of FMJ to start practicing w/someone who knows what he's doing. We had a good time, he has a Ruger P95 that was one of his main carry guns but he now has a Glock 23 (same frame as Glock 19 in a .40). I showed him where my trigger finger falls when I grip the Glock properly and he agreed that it didn't fit my hand well. I showed him how I ended up having to grip it to feel comfortable pulling the trigger (with only the very tip of my finger, not w/the trigger in the crease) and he shook his head, said you can't hold it like that.

All that to say I do like Glocks from what I ve heard about them for reliability; I just have short fingers and they don't fit my hand. I had a lot of fun shooting my Ruger Saturday...

What I ment was, I would recamend a weapon that it the easyest to pick up and shoot, without haveing to remember to switch the safety to fire and rack the first round, if you dont carry with a round chambered, a revolver is the best choice for a beginer, and the Glock would be my first choice, be cause if you kept it loaded, when you pick it up and puill the trigger it will go boom, and would not have had to remember the safety, but all this does not mean just because your gun has a external safety you have to use it

I suggest you buy two pistols. A .22 auto, or revolver for practice. A compact, subcompact, or mousegun for CC.
In 22. Check out the Ruger, browning, sig, walther autos. TAurus, S&W for wheel guns.

Find something that fits your hands in both.

If you can't hang on to it, you will have your share of problems. Read up on "limp wristing" a pistol.

See if you can find a Glock SF its a little smaller in the grip/trigger area seem to be the ticket for small hands

My wife has small hands and she has no problem holding her Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm with the adjustable back straps 3 in all she uses the smallest one. Also the Springfield XD's come with adjustable back straps as I recall. In the end though it comes down to what will work for you. I carry large handguns for concealed carry because I am a large guy, with large hands so small guns don't do it for me. Sometimes you have to stop listening to the gun shop geeks and listen to the old timers on this subject, they usually know best. One final note, if you haven't taken the class yet, wait and ask the instructor. Hope you find what you need.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back