Firearms -- a new MAJOR currency

Gold and silver will always have value anywhere there is commerce. In the immediat SHTF situation, you consumables, Firearms and ammo, booze, etc will be of more value. But, if you migrate into another civilized area, the gold and silver will be invaluable. The person driving the boat that takes you and your family to another, safe location will accept gold a lot more readily than a gun. When you get there, you will be able to trade gold for case a lot more easily. The aid workers will be easier to bribe with gold, etc.
This all depends on how you perceive the SHTF situation. If you are looking at it from a long term, end of the world (Book of Eli) kind of way, yes, supplies are MUCH more valuable. If you are looking at it from a natural disaster, economic collapse way, gold and silver will hold more value.
I admit I do not have the skills to live in a complete survival situation for any period of time, so I plan for the latter.

Gold and silver will always have value anywhere there is commerce. In the immediat SHTF situation, you consumables, Firearms and ammo, booze, etc will be of more value. But, if you migrate into another civilized area, the gold and silver will be invaluable. The person driving the boat that takes you and your family to another, safe location will accept gold a lot more readily than a gun. When you get there, you will be able to trade gold for case a lot more easily. The aid workers will be easier to bribe with gold, etc.
This all depends on how you perceive the SHTF situation. If you are looking at it from a long term, end of the world (Book of Eli) kind of way, yes, supplies are MUCH more valuable. If you are looking at it from a natural disaster, economic collapse way, gold and silver will hold more value.
I admit I do not have the skills to live in a complete survival situation for any period of time, so I plan for the latter.
I am going to read the book of Eli next week. Wolf, what denomiations of gold do you plan on getting in thet SHTF situaiton? Right now those one ounce coins are worth $$.
In the meantime, I plan on going to the local liquor store and stock up on beer. You never know when you will need some.

I know I am VERY new here, but I will offer a word of caution that I picked up for a site that specializes in preparedness issued for TEOTWAWKI. Be very careful who you trade guns and/or ammo to, because they could be used by the recipient to reclaim what they traded at a later time.

TEOTWAWKI = The End Of The World As We Know It.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back