Favorite Grocery Store

telpinaro

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but the Sprouts Farmer's Market near me decided to ban firearms. Beyond irritated... where else can I buy unsweetened flax milk and bread that's made with real ingredients? Not to mention their pasta sauces are delicious...

Why must all the places with normal food be so liberal?! Grr. (Yes, I am one of those nutty people who sits there and reads labels. If I don't know what's in it, I won't buy it. May be safe, but I don't particularly trust large corporations who buy politicians and get former employees in as FDA members.)

If you’re in Colorado, and I understand the law correctly, it’s not illegal to carry into a business that says “No Firearms”. However, if they discover that you have a gun, (you decide to go in wearing a skin tight muscle shirt and bike shorts, and they can see the outline of your 1911, including serial number printed on your outfit, for example) they can ask you to take your gun out of the store, and if you don’t they can trespass you. But unless your Sprouts has metal detectors and a guard at all entrances and exits, saying that guns are not allowed is not binding, or strictly legal. I’d ask a lawyer, just in case I have the law wrong, but that’s my understanding.

If you’re in Colorado, and I understand the law correctly, it’s not illegal to carry into a business that says “No Firearms”. However, if they discover that you have a gun, (you decide to go in wearing a skin tight muscle shirt and bike shorts, and they can see the outline of your 1911, including serial number printed on your outfit, for example) they can ask you to take your gun out of the store, and if you don’t they can trespass you. But unless your Sprouts has metal detectors and a guard at all entrances and exits, saying that guns are not allowed is not binding, or strictly legal. I’d ask a lawyer, just in case I have the law wrong, but that’s my understanding.

You understand the law correctly. "No gun" signs do not have the force of law in CO.

However, on the other hand, do you want to financially support a company that is so anti-American?

This would be my dilemma in Telpinaro's shoes right now.

You understand the law correctly. "No gun" signs do not have the force of law in CO.

However, on the other hand, do you want to financially support a company that is so anti-American?

This would be my dilemma in Telpinaro's shoes right now.

Yep, that's the dilemma. I don't think it's Sprouts as a whole; I'd never seen a sign before, nor have I at any other branch. I'm thinking when I'm less irritated I'll find where I should be complaining, because while the food is great, I'm not shopping somewhere with a "Welcome criminals!" sign.

What is more important your constitutional rights or stomach ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ...............WELL

What is more important your constitutional rights or stomach ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ...............WELL

Not stomach. Health (you know, necessary for the whole life, liberty and pursuit of happiness). They sell food that is FOOD, not some chemical compounds created in a lab. I am angry because now I won't shop there until the sign is removed (as I said). Finding quality food will be much more difficult now.

And thank you for all the question marks. Excessive punctuation always helps get the point across, and improves readability a great deal. :wink:

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but the Sprouts Farmer's Market near me decided to ban firearms. Beyond irritated... where else can I buy unsweetened flax milk and bread that's made with real ingredients? Not to mention their pasta sauces are delicious...

Why must all the places with normal food be so liberal?! Grr. (Yes, I am one of those nutty people who sits there and reads labels. If I don't know what's in it, I won't buy it. May be safe, but I don't particularly trust large corporations who buy politicians and get former employees in as FDA members.)

No force of law!!! Your business won't make them or break them so go get what you can only get from them and the rest of what you need from others.
Now to the serious stuff. Jared "pasta" sauce....AKA "gravy"! Is only to be kept for emergency purposes only! Like if you need a macaroni fix right away. Some are very good and so not contain sugar or corn syrup. No soy oil but olive oil.
I could help you out with how to make a quick Marinara. Of course the full Sunday Gravy is easier then most think. Uhhh that would be "sauce" to those that don't call it macaroni or pasta but noodles.:yes4:

No force of law!!! Your business won't make them or break them so go get what you can only get from them and the rest of what you need from others.
Now to the serious stuff. Jared "pasta" sauce....AKA "gravy"! Is only to be kept for emergency purposes only! Like if you need a macaroni fix right away. Some are very good and so not contain sugar or corn syrup. No soy oil but olive oil.
I could help you out with how to make a quick Marinara. Of course the full Sunday Gravy is easier then most think. Uhhh that would be "sauce" to those that don't call it macaroni or pasta but noodles.:yes4:

I've been thinking of getting a bread maker, and I've experimented with different sauces (yep, that's what I call it lol), and finally yesterday made some spaghetti and meatballs that I actually enjoyed! Have had no luck with marinara, so that would be much appreciated! Everything I've made has turned out far to bland... :smile: Jars are too expensive, anyway. I just get the super yummy ones on occasion, and for when I'm being lazy.

Hello everyone,

Two points: First, I don't see posting a "No guns" sign as anti-American. Americans are a diverse and rowdy crowd o' folk, and if you get 100 of them in a room you're likely to get 101 opinions. Speaking as a socially Liberal guy, I'm fine with them posting that sign, just like I'm fine with cheerfully ignoring it. Ditto for movie theaters. Actually, after the Aurora theater nightmare, I'd be crazy NOT to carry in a theater. Again, if they, through my own sloppiness, discover that I'm carrying, I would have no problem leaving the premises.

Second, Don't get a bread maker! Get a good, high quality stand mixer. Kitchenaid is the gold standard, and a good one will set you back about $300.00. Do it. Then you can knead bread all day long, and bake it in your oven. There's a million recipes on-line, and with a stand mixer they don't take much longer than a bread machine. And you can use the mixer for tons of other things, including grinding meat with an attachment. And, as a bonus, if you go out and buy a stand mixer chances are you will get enough Spousal points that the next time you just HAVE to have that Kimber .45, she may forgive you!

Hello everyone,

Two points: First, I don't see posting a "No guns" sign as anti-American. Americans are a diverse and rowdy crowd o' folk, and if you get 100 of them in a room you're likely to get 101 opinions. Speaking as a socially Liberal guy, I'm fine with them posting that sign, just like I'm fine with cheerfully ignoring it. Ditto for movie theaters. Actually, after the Aurora theater nightmare, I'd be crazy NOT to carry in a theater. Again, if they, through my own sloppiness, discover that I'm carrying, I would have no problem leaving the premises.

Second, Don't get a bread maker! Get a good, high quality stand mixer. Kitchenaid is the gold standard, and a good one will set you back about $300.00. Do it. Then you can knead bread all day long, and bake it in your oven. There's a million recipes on-line, and with a stand mixer they don't take much longer than a bread machine. And you can use the mixer for tons of other things, including grinding meat with an attachment. And, as a bonus, if you go out and buy a stand mixer chances are you will get enough Spousal points that the next time you just HAVE to have that Kimber .45, she may forgive you!

Wow, when did I become a lesbian? :biggrin: I'm the wife, and my husband is quite happy for me to get any gun I've saved up for.

I already have a KitchenAid, which I actually got for my husband. (He likes to cook. He doesn't much, but when he does... lucky me!) I cook if it's easy, otherwise I get annoyed. Plus, with my husband deployed, there's not a lot of time, so I just want to throw ingredients in and forget about it. And I really hate cleaning the mixer... :smile:

Ah! Sorry about the mis-gendering

Hello Telpinaro,

Sorry about the mis-gendering! I couldn't tell from your posts. And luck you to have a spouse that is fine with any gun purchase you might make!

Regarding the stand mixer, I would urge you to try some bread recipes. I've been making all the bread for our house for over 8 years now, and it's great. I started when out bread machine stopped working after two years, and I haven't looked back. The bread has a better texture and flavor, and it's really not that hard to do. And on the plus side, between my hunting and bread making, and my wife's canning and chocolate creations, we have friends that refer to us as the 'Frontier' couple.

Wow, when did I become a lesbian? :biggrin: I'm the wife, and my husband is quite happy for me to get any gun I've saved up for.

I already have a KitchenAid, which I actually got for my husband. (He likes to cook. He doesn't much, but when he does... lucky me!) I cook if it's easy, otherwise I get annoyed. Plus, with my husband deployed, there's not a lot of time, so I just want to throw ingredients in and forget about it. And I really hate cleaning the mixer... :smile:

I've been thinking of getting a bread maker, and I've experimented with different sauces (yep, that's what I call it lol), and finally yesterday made some spaghetti and meatballs that I actually enjoyed! Have had no luck with marinara, so that would be much appreciated! Everything I've made has turned out far to bland... :smile: Jars are too expensive, anyway. I just get the super yummy ones on occasion, and for when I'm being lazy.

Good sauce requires a long simmer time. When I cook a batch of marinara, I like to simmer it for about 10-12 hours.

First things first... fresh garlic and fresh onions (I use a vidalia)... cut it really thin and sautee it in the stock pot with real butter and a bit of canola oil... do this until the garlic is gone or nearly all gone.

The trick at this point is knowing what spices you want to simmer in your sauce once the tomatoes start to liquefy. I personally like to use some basil, oregano, and some bay leaves. Let it simmer all day... taste testing it throughout the day to see if you need to add a little more basil or oregano.

If the sauce is a bit too acidic but has the spice level you want, try a little bit of brown sugar until the acidity goes away. If you find you do not like the brown sugar idea, back in the first step, sautee some grated carrots with the garlic and onion. The carrots add a sweetness to the sauce.

Depending on your taste, grating some fresh romano cheese is really good too.

You can also add mushrooms or peppers if you'd like.

But this is how I make my sauce and love it better than any jar sauce I have found.

If you like to add meat, I've put ground beef, ground venison, ground turkey, and/or ground sausage in my sauces as well.

Good luck and I hope this helps you make some really good sauce.

If you make a huge batch, consider canning the sauce. This way you have many individual jars and you don't have to cook as much.

Nothing like getting off topic ! ! ! IS THIS NOW THE FOOD CHANNEL ? ? ? ? ?............... DON'T WE HAVE MONITORS READING THIS

Nothing like getting off topic ! ! ! IS THIS NOW THE FOOD CHANNEL ? ? ? ? ?............... DON'T WE HAVE MONITORS READING THIS

People enjoying themselves and no contention involved except some complaints about the subject matter. If you don't like guns,don't buy one! If you don't like the topic and subject matter don't read it!

This was posted by capgun AKA Chef No-Tell

I suggest you read slowly from the beginning of this thread.

Telpinaro mentioned a grocery store that was anti-2A. She gets her ingredients from this store for making her sauces. She also mentioned that her sauces didn't come out so great. I then gave her my technique for making good sauce.

Pray tell, where did we go off topic. I stayed well within the topics that the original poster brought up... you know, Telpinaro. In fact, your post is the only one that is actually off topic.

Also, there is "nothing like" yelling at people with capitalization of most of their words and the use of many question marks. Did we really make you that upset? If we did, please let us know how to rectify this in the future. I would hate to think that my responding to the OP about the topics she brings up would cause such stress and vile anger from you, sir.

43 posts from you sir, and I've only seen two of them on this thread and they spew such anger.

If you CC who's to know. NOT that I'm advocating disobedience to the Law as written, but juz saying...

I find it interesting that so many folks say that "no guns" signs don't have the force of law behind them when those signs may not be supported by any firearms laws they may very well be fully supported by the trespass laws. Please check out the trespass laws... and exactly how they are written... to discover what legally constitutes being notified that anyone who enters while carrying a gun does not have the owner's permission to be there. No permission means you are trespassing.

Trespass | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia | LII / Legal Information Institute

Trespass

Trespass is defined by the act of knowingly entering another person’s property without permission. -snip-

so if a person enters a business that he/she knows has a no guns rule/policy and carries anyway they are engaging in the act of trespass... being asked to leave means that person just got caught in the act of trespassing. Check the trespass laws to find out if a no guns sign and/or a no guns rule in a list of rules is enough to be legally considered "notice" in your State and any State you may visit.

Just because a no guns sign doesn't have the force of firearm law behind it doesn't mean it still might have the force of trespass law behind it.

And saying you didn't see the sign may not work either if the judge/jury decides that sign was in plain sight and you should have seen it.

Not to mention that those in charge of giving out and revoking carry permits just might take a hard look at anyone who acts so irresponsibly as to trespass while carrying..... and decide to use this portion of the "force of law" to revoke your permit. How would those folks find out? If the trespass law doesn't require a person be asked to leave the property owner doesn't have to talk to you at all before calling the cops and letting them sort it out. And cops write reports.

Y'all do whatever you want to do about this issue but please be aware of all the aspects of what is called "the force of law".

There is another little quirk with Michigan law concerning this issue... the "stand your ground" protections against prosecution and even civil suits is only operative where it is legal for a person to be. If you are trespassing you are breaking the law and it is not legal for you to be there so if you do have to defend yourself you will lose those "stand your ground" protections because.... it was illegal for you to be there as a trespasser. Oh... and if you do shoot someone in self defense while trespassing.... good luck trying to convince a prosecutor that you didn't see the no guns sign.

Please know ALL the laws that affect you in your State and any States you might visit when carrying a gun... there are more laws than just the concealed laws or even just the general firearms laws.

Edited to add:
I am not an attorney....

Telpinaro mentioned a grocery store that was anti-2A. She gets her ingredients from this store for making her sauces. She also mentioned that her sauces didn't come out so great. I then gave her my technique for making good sauce.

And it sounds quite tasty! (The other was too long to quote... lol) I may have to try it in small batches and see how I do... altitude tends to muck with things a bit. Cookies become interesting, to say the least.

Well, got a reply from Sprouts... their decision (which is for every store) stands so their customers can "feel safe." Apparently they have received overwhelming support for the decision, even though they apparently support our 2nd Amendment rights. They hope I will continue shopping there anyway. Yeah, right. Anyone got that story/picture of the No Gun sign at... was it FedEx? where there was a shooting I can send to them? I don't remember what to search for... lol

If anyone would like to add to the non-support of their new policy: https://www.sprouts.com/contact-us

On a happier note... I made some decent pasta sauce with a bunch of random ingredients I happened to have on hand! I had a bunch of leftover hamburger that I didn't want to eat without thoroughly cooking it, so just threw a bunch of stuff together and made spaghetti. Now... to remember what I did... :laugh:

Well, got a reply from Sprouts... their decision (which is for every store) stands so their customers can "feel safe." Apparently they have received overwhelming support for the decision, even though they apparently support our 2nd Amendment rights. They hope I will continue shopping there anyway. Yeah, right. Anyone got that story/picture of the No Gun sign at... was it FedEx? where there was a shooting I can send to them? I don't remember what to search for... lol

If anyone would like to add to the non-support of their new policy: https://www.sprouts.com/contact-us

On a happier note... I made some decent pasta sauce with a bunch of random ingredients I happened to have on hand! I had a bunch of leftover hamburger that I didn't want to eat without thoroughly cooking it, so just threw a bunch of stuff together and made spaghetti. Now... to remember what I did... :laugh:

Here you go:

Link Removed

And here is a link to the article:
Link Removed

Send some of that pasta sauce this way. :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1