Extended Stay America

nukesdg

I've traveled around the country, stayed at many different hotels/motels but only resently noticed that Extened Stay Non-America specifically states NO fierarms on their property!
Have others noticed this?
Is it a state thing?

sdg

I wouldn't think they could do that because no one would actually tell them they're armed.

Hmm in my experience it depends on the state. Some states allow them to do so (private property), while a state I recently was in, Montana, actually prohibits hotels and landlords from posting and not allowing firearms on their premises for law abiding citizens.

I've traveled around the country, stayed at many different hotels/motels but only resently noticed that Extened Stay Non-America specifically states NO fierarms on their property!
Is it a state thing?

sdg

Which state were you in where you noticed this?

I wrote to Extended Stay to find out exactly what the policy is nationwide. Here is the response:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Extended Stay America regarding our firearm policy.

While we understand your right to carry your firearm as a concealed carry permit holder, all of our locations prohibit
any guest from possessing a firearm in our rooms or on our property. Our policy specifically states, “firearms, other weapons, or hazardous chemicals are strictly prohibited.”

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. We appreciate your inquiry and hope to host you in the near future.

Regards,
[email protected]

Needless to say, they will not be "hosting" me.

Hmm

That is quite interesting, since if I remember right, two years ago we stayed in an Extended Stay America in Montana where I carried, maybe they should be reminded that in certain states (particularly Montana) this is actually against state law.

Montana 70-24-110. Landlords and tenants -- no firearm prohibition allowed. A landlord or operator of a hotel or motel may not, by contract or otherwise, prevent a tenant or a guest of a tenant from possessing on the premises a firearm that it is legal for the tenant or guest to possess. A landlord or operator of a hotel or motel may prohibit the discharge of a firearm on the premises except in self-defense.

That is quite interesting, since if I remember right, two years ago we stayed in an Extended Stay America in Montana where I carried, maybe they should be reminded that in certain states (particularly Montana) this is actually against state law.

Montana 70-24-110. Landlords and tenants -- no firearm prohibition allowed. A landlord or operator of a hotel or motel may not, by contract or otherwise, prevent a tenant or a guest of a tenant from possessing on the premises a firearm that it is legal for the tenant or guest to possess. A landlord or operator of a hotel or motel may prohibit the discharge of a firearm on the premises except in self-defense.

Nice work chuckness and gfrlaser. This is the reason I asked the OP which state he noticed the sign. There are some states that disallow the prohibition of carrying at hotels/motels.

There are some states that disallow the prohibition of carrying at hotels/motels.

That's exactly what I thought. Still, to put a blanket ban on legal conceal carry toward thier guests is hard to believe, my advice is not 'stay' at Extended Stay.

To be honest I would rather pitch a tent on the side of the road instead of staying in an Extended Stay. They have such a big reputation for criminal activity. In Florida where I was raised the County/City actually had to close one down because of the problems. Ohhh wait they ban guns. Must why they are so attractive to the criminal element.

Is it a state thing?

sdg
in many states they aren't allowed to impose such a rule

Sadly a Ben Franklin state PA
The guest info booklet is a corporate manual with no state info and says "strictly prohibited on the property"
sdg

I sure hope this isn't going to become a trend across the country. I also travel a lot and just had to cancel my reservation at the Doubletree matket center in Dallas, TX and find another hotel as they are also now posted no concealed firearms. I have been staying there every month for a couple years, but no longer. I am going to call the property manager tomorrow.

Does anyone no if TX has any laws prohiniting this as others have noted above some states do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using USA Carry mobile app

This is the law in Texas concerning hotels:
(This Becomes Law on 9/1/13) Sec. 2155.101 Thru Sec. 2155.103 States that if a Hotel/Motel has restrictions on firearms on their property they must display that on their website. If a hotel provides a written confirmation or a written statement of terms and conditions to a consumer after accepting the consumer’s hotel reservation by telephone, the hotel shall include information specifying how the consumer may review applicable guest policies. The guest policies must indicate the hotel’s policy regarding the possession, storage, and transportation of firearms by guests. The hotel can be fined if they do not list their restrictions.

I sure hope this isn't going to become a trend across the country. I also travel a lot and just had to cancel my reservation at the Doubletree matket center in Dallas, TX and find another hotel as they are also now posted no concealed firearms. I have been staying there every month for a couple years, but no longer. I am going to call the property manager tomorrow.

Does anyone no if TX has any laws prohiniting this as others have noted above some states do?

if you are concealing properly how would they know? don't ask don't tell is applicable

Sadly a Ben Franklin state PA
The guest info booklet is a corporate manual with no state info and says "strictly prohibited on the property"
sdg

I just searched through PA Title 18 crimes code and the Uniform Firearms Act in PA and didn't find the word "hotel" or "motel" listed there at all. Therefore, if there is not law concerning it, then it is legal to carry.

Therefore, the worst that could happen to someone carrying in a hotel in PA that had informed you that you could not carry, is that you would be trespassing.

However, I'm with several others that say, if you don't want me and my firearms, then you don't want my business at all.

if you are concealing properly how would they know? don't ask don't tell is applicable

I know there are a lot of people out there who might just ignore the sign and enter. Honestly if I had landed late and got to the hotel after midnight I might have myself. Given a choice though I prefer to not spend my money at businesses that deny us our rights to carry.

As I mentioned initially I planned on contacting the property manager today in hopes of getting them to reconsider the policy. We had a great discussion, but he said ownership was committed to the policy.

He did mention that a letter had recently gone out to all Hilton properties in the US informing them of their options of going gun free as individual properties, but this would not be a standard at all locations.

They were coincidentally having their corporate legal summit to establish policies for all the properties that had decided to go gun free. Based on the TX law that was linked above they are going to require all properties nation wide to post their firearms policy on their web page and in reservation confirmations.

For anyone who will be staying at a Hilton property please check their webpage and avoid properties that have gone gun free.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back