erie county ny pistol permit questions&answers

jon@hmbgny

jon@hmbgny
on 6~1~11 i was fingerprinted in lackawana erie county ny. on 9~2~11
the sherrifs department called to do a interview with me it took maybe 10 min's. after we were threw he told me that he had already contacted my 4 ref's and they all checked out well. then he asked one more question, while did you apply for a full carry i told him since ive been hurt yrs ago on the job and now disabled on disability
ect. i have benn attacked twice once with my 12yr and once by myself he chucled alittle and said there's no crime in hamburg i said look into the police reports that was all he told me looks good for you. my question is it took only 3 months to get interviewed and contact and research the ref's now how long will it take for the judge to make a decition? or somthing anyone know the answer

Took me about 13 months from submitting my app to getting my pistol. They usually want you to have your permit for about 5 years before getting full carry but given your circumstances you may get it. I would however expect an interview with the judge if he does consider it. Good luck to you.

It'll all depend on the judge whether they issue a Target/Hunting permit or Unrestricted permit. Have had ours for about 10 yrs. My wife was given Unrestricted immediately since she's a realtor and sometimes meets 'strangers' alone at vacant homes. My job took me into not-so-good neighborhoods and vacant homes, but I didn't have a compelling enough reason to carry....even after producing photos of bullet holes in windows, knives and needles on the floors, etc. Took about 5 yrs with target/hunting restrictions to prove I wasn't an idiot with a gun to get upgraded to Unrestricted. I guess they figured that I didn't shoot myself or someone else by accident in that time, so I was now qualified enough for Unrestricted permit.

What they didn't consider was...1. I don't (have time to) hunt...and 2. the range has strict safety rules, so the likelihood of an "accident" there was minimal. So the fallacy is... If you can't carry, the limitations they impose almost guarantee you won't be able to carry your weapon the way you want or need to...in order for them to assess your ability to carry responsibly.

My advice... get the permit and get familiar with your chosen weapon.... join a club and practice. The fact that you're in a gun club tells them you're interested in safety and have a safe place to shoot.

That practice will also give you an opportunity to test different carry methods/locations so you can have an idea of what size gun, full size, compact, sub-compact fits you best, given whatever disability you have.

For example, I know some people who work in environments where they can carry a full size pistol because they can leave their shirt hanging out & over the weapon. However, since I need to have a shirt (polo or dress) tucked in, I need to pocket carry. That requires a lightweight sub-compact, otherwise, it's tough to sit down comfortably, or to keep your pants/shorts up.

Sorry for being long-winded.. Hope this helps.

tuts40:236901 said:
Good grief. NY? ...No, thank you.

Ill second that, the pro gun org' s that state really need to start doing their job! It' s nuts that the residents go through that crap.

Ill second that, the pro gun org' s that state really need to start doing their job! It' s nuts that the residents go through that crap.
Can you carry on a bus? In a bar? Public transportation? Church? Hospital? Is your permit renewable or good for life? Everyone is going through this in one form or another. The denial is alive in well all over America.

on 6~1~11 i was fingerprinted in lackawana erie county ny. on 9~2~11
the sherrifs department called to do a interview with me it took maybe 10 min's. after we were threw he told me that he had already contacted my 4 ref's and they all checked out well. then he asked one more question, while did you apply for a full carry i told him since ive been hurt yrs ago on the job and now disabled on disability
ect. i have benn attacked twice once with my 12yr and once by myself he chucled alittle and said there's no crime in hamburg i said look into the police reports that was all he told me looks good for you. my question is it took only 3 months to get interviewed and contact and research the ref's now how long will it take for the judge to make a decition? or somthing anyone know the answer
Probably not a good idea to talk about being attacked during the interview. When you're ready, contact me via PM and we'll see about getting any restrictions lifted for ya.

Here's what I received in the mail today. I applied for an upgrade from target/hunting to unrestricted, I have had my permit for just about a year with no issues.

----

After reviewing the above-named Licensee's file and application submitted for an upgrade in the status of firearms license previously issued herein on XXXX XX, 2010, the Court has determived that the licensee is not eligible for an upgrade to unrestricted status at this time.

Section 400.00-2(f) requires the demonstration of "proper cause" for the issuance of an unrestricted firearms license. Such has not been demonstrated in this case.

Licensee's appliction for an upgrade to an unrestricted license is therefore DENIED. Licensee may apply for an upgrade in status after five years from date of issuance, with showing proper cuase.

SO ORDERED

M. William Boller

I would Safely Estimate that you should hear from the Pistol Permit Office around May 2012.
this is only based on time frames,others have posted,and several friends of mine waited up to
12-18 months. Its an slow,painful process in Erie County. Do you live in Lackawanna,because they usually do their own Investigation for your permit. You stated the Erie County Sheriffs called you for Interview Im a little confused. If you could clear that up for me that would be great Thanks.

when you requested your up grade, what explaination,or reasoning did you use. sometimes how you request,or word you request makes all the difference I know for a fact its not Judge Boller who approves or denies your request. its Will Fowler (head of Pistol Permit Office) im good friends with will after someone sends in their request go striaght to Mr. Fowler, and he reviews your application he either reccomends,or denies
then it gets sent to Judge Boller for Signature. Ive posted this Info Several times on this site so that everyone knows who really approves,or denies your upgrade. if you would like help with this please PM me then we can talk and get you on the right path

Update for my erie county pistol permit applicant friends i was called by the p.p. office today in regaurds to my refeance status for a friend of mine they needed my correct spelling they couldnt rean my last name so i spelled it then the girl said mr.glse your application is at the judges desk since the end september and you will be getting a letter soon . so i said oh ok thank's so im still at 4 months & 21 days. i was surprized by the call to my cell. never the less im still waiting.
i'll update when i here something. jon

I am from Upstate NY and in the military stationed in GA and have decided long ago I will never permanently return to that state to live. Once retirement comes moving back "home" will not happen due to the strict gun laws and high taxes. Too bad since upstate is a decent place other than that.

thats sucks, 5 yrs what happens if in between now and then something occurs and you r in a situation you need a loaded weapon? now who's going to take the rap for that im sure i will get huntingg target even though i gave damb good reasons exeptible in any other neiboring state im assuming your from erie county.wish you luck and hope you dont come across a situation where you need it jon

New York state issues only one type of permit and that is for concealed carry. There is also a premises permit that allows one to keep a firearm at a home or place of business, not carry concealed. (We are NOT talking about NY CITY here).
Any restricctions are put on by the local judges in New Yorks' different counties. Any hunting, trapping, hiking, camping restrictions etc. are put there by the county judges or clerks acting on their behalf. If you have a permit, hunting-restricted or not, go ahead and feel free to carry wherever you wish, within the law, but know the law. You can always join a pistol / shooting club that is open 24 hours a day, then you will always be coming from or going to your club, if the question ever arises. Those so-called restrictions should only be looked upon as suggestions.

Wizrd,
Though some of your post are true. Yes New York issues Concealed Carry Permits.
But Carrying outside your Restrictions will not get you arrested, it can cause the Judge to revoke, or suspend your Permit.

There are no 24 hour Ranges in the Area the OP Resides. If you are caught Carrying Concealed at 1:00 am there are not to many LEO's that will buy your story.

I dont approve off the Administration Restrictions that Judges put on your Permit. But, You must Follow the Laws.

Most Judges, after having your permit for an year, will grant you Unrestricted Status.
Unless you have been caught Carrying outside your Restrictions.

Hi. I've got a few questions. I'm upgrading to carry for a per diem job for an electrician. The upgrade form has a notice saying that false statements are punishable to a class A misdemeanor and revocation of permit. What false statements could I make? The reason I as is that when I moved I filed for a change of address and my employment situation changed. When they made my new permit the clerk left out my new employment on my new permit (I think he was new and was orienting with an experienced employee). I don't want an inconsistency to get me in trouble. Does anyone know of any situations that this would result in fines or jail time? Any info anyone could give me would be great.

I believe this post has worn itself out.
Yes, there may be 24/7 gun ranges in tonawanda that are not visable to the OP
Myself it has no bearing on me holding an UnRestricted permit from Erie County.but for those like the OP who are Restricted to Hunting/Target could be treading on a thin line to be out at 0300 while in possession of an loaded, and or Concealed weapon.

Too many Variables could influence LEO's at that time of the morning. Better to error on the side of Caution then to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Good luck to all of you, But none of this pertains to me any longer.It's like a rubber ball it just keeps bouncing back, and fourth. I'm out

I mean no Dis-Respect to any of you involved in this post, but it's not going anywhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back