Don't fall on your sword (carry weapon)

Pygmalion

I wanted to tell y'all a funny (and somewhat disconcerting) story about something that happened to me one day as I stepped out of my house on an particularly icy Winter morning recently. I carry a Glock 19 Gen 3 in a N8^2 Tactical "Professional" holster at about the 3:30/4 o'clock position inside my waistband, as shown in the pictures below. I live in the South and we had some bad Winter weather in the days and nights before. As I walked down my driveway, I stepped on what looked like merely a wet patch of driveway, but turned out to be slippery ice. I was immediately up-ended and fell backward, laid out totally flat on the ground in a supine position. I wasn't really hurt in any way, only stunned a bit. As I got up I looked back at my driveway and realized a few items from my jacket pockets had been left on the ground, as well as the magazine from my carry pistol! I quickly put everything back in its place and went on my way.

Later, I tried to replicate what happened by pressing down strongly on the grip of my gun, but I could not duplicated the force of me falling on my holster and pistol (I weigh about 155 lbs). My weight, along with falling at just the right angle, caused the magazine release to be pressed, dislodging the magazine. I realized that if I were in some kind of self defense situation and was knocked to the ground in the same way, this kind of thing could happen, leaving my with only the round in the chamber and me having to fumble reload after that round is gone. I thought about moving my holster closer to the 3 o'clock position, but it prints more there, and is also a lot more uncomfortable.

I would like to note that while I haven't had the chance to try any other types of holsters, the N8^2 Tactical Professional is very comfortable, and I highly recommend it. I don't see what happened as a particular flaw in the holster design, but mostly in my carry position and the way I fell. One thing I was thinking about doing to my Glock is replacing the mag release button with a Vicker's Tactical release button, which is more rounded and sticks out about 3mm more that the stock button. Now, I'm not so sure I should do this.

Any comments, stories, suggestions, and options on whether or not I should put in that Vicker's Tactical Mag release button are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pics of my carry position:
Link RemovedLink Removed

I've never experienced a magazine unintentionally being released, but do think about it every time I make a holster.

Nearly all my holsters now cover the magazine release, just in case I end up on the ground like you did.

Knock on wood.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I've never experienced a magazine unintentionally being released, but do think about it every time I make a holster.

Nearly all my holsters now cover the magazine release, just in case I end up on the ground like you did.

I had the magazine release a few times carrying a Beretta Nano IWB with a combo pocket/IWB holster. Didn't know it had happened until I got home and was drawing the gun. Luckily the mag didn't end up on the ground somewhere. Figured out it was the holster's leather pressing on the mag release causing the problem. Trimmed the leather out around the mag release and didn't happen again. Switched to an Old Faithful holster and much better.

I had the magazine release a few times carrying a Beretta Nano IWB with a combo pocket/IWB holster. Didn't know it had happened until I got home and was drawing the gun. Luckily the mag didn't end up on the ground somewhere. Figured out it was the holster's leather pressing on the mag release causing the problem. Trimmed the leather out around the mag release and didn't happen again. Switched to an Old Faithful holster and much better.

I carry in kydex, less flexible than leather, which is probably why I haven't experienced this so far.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I had a similar fall this past November. Landed hard on the side with my carry gun and broke 4 ribs. No gun damage, but I still wonder if it was part of the impact point that broke the ribs.

My N82 holster isn't leather either, it's polymer rather than kydex, the stuff they make bullet proof glass out of. I checked this issue out with my Ruger SR40c in my N82 holster and found that the polymer does not quite cover the mag. release, and the way I have the cant set on the holster does put the belt clip in a position that it could possibly trip the mag. release if I fell on it just right and very hard. That's not good because the SR40c will not fire the round in the chamber if the mag. is not in place. Don't want to chage the cant of the gun, and that would leave the mag. release more exposed. Guess I'll count on the stiffness of the belt clip to protect the release and try not to fall on my sword anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back