disassembling and laws

constrainer

At what disassembly point does the law consider a gun not be gun? I own a Sig p250 which is very easily and quickly disassembled. If I had it on me and went someplace it was not lawful for me to carry but I was fearful of leaving it in my car for instance. Would I get in trouble for having only the metal part my serial number is on and the trigger mechanism on my person? Is it still considered a gun by the law even though there is no chance it can fire a bullet in it current state?
I am very new to guns and gun laws.

Why not get a gun safe for the vehicle?

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

For BATF purposes the frame with the serial number is the gun. However fror your state laws there is no telling what they would consider and it would probably be up to the judge and jury to decide. The gun safe would be the answer as I would not go through the trouble of disassembling a gun for that reason. State laws vary a lot especially on what is loaded and unloaded.

For BATF purposes the frame with the serial number is the gun. However fror your state laws there is no telling what they would consider and it would probably be up to the judge and jury to decide. The gun safe would be the answer as I would not go through the trouble of disassembling a gun for that reason. State laws vary a lot especially on what is loaded and unloaded.

Correct about BATF purposes. But I feel, before it got to the judge and jury, the police officer's judgement would be the critical point. After all they would be the one making any arrest/charges. Who knows what mood they will be in.

Do agred with MADnMO, the in car gun safe would seem the most practical solution. That is the route I plan on taking. :yu:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back