Difficulty in obtaining Non Resident Carry Permit (Class A) in Mass?

captainzipper

I'm about to take a MA gun course to help me obtain a MA carry permit. I live in Ct. and have a permit here.

Any tips from any of you that recently obtained one? And how the process went?

Thanks,

CZ

I'm about to take a MA gun course to help me obtain a MA carry permit. I live in Ct. and have had a Ct. permit since 85. I recently obtained a PA. permit and have applied for NH, Maine, and Florida permits. I was born and raised in MA. What are the chances of obtaining a Class A permit in MA nowadays??

Any tips from any of you that recently obtained one? And how the process went?

You may want to give a call to Mass Firearms School - Mass Firearms School

I just started working here, but had been doing one-on-one instruction with them on a contract basis for a while. I'm not sure about their expertise with helping out-of-state students acquire nonresident permits. However, I know they've had a lot of success with helping people in "red" towns get through the red tape and get approved.

They used to be located in Framingham, but just opened a new school and range facility in Holliston.

Thanks Phillip.

I took a self defense course up there a few months back from Mac. I love the way he teaches. I really want to take a few more courses up there this year. How's the new facility?

I'm already signed up for a MA course through an instructor here in Ct.

I'm just trying to get a handle on the process. I am curious as to how many people end up with a restricted LTC or whether they are pretty "giving" in Chelsea. Ha..

Thanks for the reply.

CZ

Thanks Phillip.

I took a self defense course up there a few months back from Mac. I love the way he teaches. I really want to take a few more courses up there this year. How's the new facility?

I'm already signed up for a MA course through an instructor here in Ct.

I'm just trying to get a handle on the process. I am curious as to how many people end up with a restricted LTC or whether they are pretty "giving" in Chelsea. Ha..

Thanks for the reply.

CZ

This is going to sound incredibly self-serving. But if I were you, I'd ditch the instructor in CT if you're not going to take a big hit on your deposit, and contact MFS instead. Call them and ask for Steve Hathaway. He works directly and frequently with the issuing authorities in the "red" towns. Even if you don't ditch the CT instructor, Steve will probably help you out as a past student. Very much worth the call.

Mac is pretty awesome. I think I'll be taking a lot of pointers from him. (Today was my first day as a classroom instructor, but I did one-on-one outside range instruction on a contract basis for several months.)

I assisted with a class in the new facility tonight for the first time. It's good! The new range has 5 lanes and just went into service this past Friday. There is still some sound deadening work to be done, but it's not actually all that loud if you ask me.

We're still experimenting with different .22s for the standard "class gun." I've put in my recommendation for the Ruger 22/45, but we'll see. Also, we need to work on range procedures a bit to smooth things out...but overall things went really well. :)

"Any tips from any of you that recently obtained one? And how the process went?"

I'm a Non -Res. and have been giving my $100. every year to this wonderful state of MA.
First timers (non-res) must take a MA firearms class/course....however you want to term it. You get a certificate/s in the end and this must be turned in with application. Fill out entire application and send it in with ALL the info it asks for otherwise it will be returned to you and possibly lose your $. You will be contacted (possibly a month after you mailed out application)with a date to show up in Chelsea, MA. You are instructed to call and confirm date/time of your interview. If you do not, kiss your $ good bye. Leave all weapons behind and do not even think of bringing any in the building with you. You sit down for your interview and are asked the same questions that are on your application you filled out. You are then finger printed and your photo taken right then and there (less than an hour of your time). If all goes well, you should recieve your wallet size LTC in the mail.........approx. 2 months later. It will say either Class A or B. Remember, if you checked off on your application "Class A", it does not mean you will be approved for the Class A. Honestly I do not know how it is determined which Class you get. At the time I got mine (years ago/paper license) I forget which I checked off, but I ended up getting a Class A-Large Capacity Temp LTC. Maybe it depends on your purpose to carry in MA.?? Maybe someone else can answer this one for you.
Approx 1 month to get a date after you mail it in and approx 2 months before you get it. I've been doing it now for about 6 years so I know. There may be some others out there who will give you different info. I'm giving you what I have experienced which is what You asked. I mailed mine out for renewal early Jan. and got my appoint by mail a week ago for my interview for this coming April.
When you go for a renewal, you do not have to show your MA classes you took previously. I'm not guessing on this, it's all in black and white on the application instructions. Good luck.

You send your application/renewal in by mail. On the application it'll ask you, how you wish to be contacted...either by mail, phone or email address. Which ever you choose, they'll contact you with a date for your interview (approx. a month from when you dropped your application in the mail).The interview is done in Chelsea and should take an entire hour from the time you get there (be early). You check in at the desk with a drivers license/ID and sit and wait till you're called. Keep in mind there are others ahead of you too. You basically go up to the office, sit down, and the guy will ask you a few questions.......some which are on the application you filled out just to make sure it is accurate and some other questions just to break the ice. Prints and photo.....and your done.
Time for renewal? Do it all over again including your hard earned $100. for one year!
No big deal, nothing to sweat over. Get your application off the internet here somewhere and READ it well. After you fill it out be sure you go through the check list making sure you did not miss anything otherwise like I said it may be returned to you without your $.
Oh, and when it comes time for renewal again, make sure you send your application in at least 3 months time before your LTC expires!!! When your LTC expires it is indeed expired! DO NOT listen to anyone who tells you it is still good even though your application for renewal is in the mail, or you got a date for your interview. This will not fly with the officer who finds a weapon on you. What will fly is his cruiser with you in the back seat. Good luck!

As I had posted earlier, my interview was this past April. I just got my LTC in the mail yesterday! One month and two weeks. AND, I did get my Class A again....nice.
I will mention though:
The gentleman interviewing me said MA. has been getting more strict when it comes down to "purpose" for wanting to carry a firearm. We've all heard not to give one word reasons ie; protection. Here's another: for protection of self and Family. These do not fly anymore I was told. You have to give more of a reason why MA. should give you a LTC.
Think about it, use your brain, what do you do in your life everyday that puts your life in danger?
My reason/s took 3/4 of the page.
Good luck!

Hopefully waiting as I had my interview in Chelsea back in early May. renewal LTC-A. non-res. after a month called on June 13th and was told they were way behind and that a person was on vacation blah blah blah. Know it is a pain but come on now. Have been renewing in mass for 4 years now.

So I'm guessing your LTC had expired and you renewed too late? This is why I said earlier, it'll take about 2 months after the interview to get your LTC (mine took one month two weeks)......which is why renewals should be done at least 3 months before your expired LTC. Hey folks, I'm not making this up. This is what was told to me from the Bureau. I'm just passing info as I have expirenced. Other feel free to chime in.
Hopefully waiting as I had my interview in Chelsea back in early May. renewal LTC-A. non-res. after a month called on June 13th and was told they were way behind and that a person was on vacation blah blah blah. Know it is a pain but come on now. Have been renewing in mass for 4 years now.

I acutally sent in paperwork 3 months early as I always make copies of applications/dates to have for the what if's. My actual appt for interview was scheduled for 1 week after liscense expired from the get go and did call to confirm and inquire if anything earlier. No such luck this time around. The waiting game and red tape for MA. is crazy when one has never had a issue with any permit.

Ok, now that sucks! I would think......like many others that getting in your renewal 3 months early is sufficient time. Screw it, just wait it out like I did. I didn't send mine in early only because of an injury and had to go about in my travels in MA. with no firearm. Next time for renewal I'll send it in 4 months earlier! Good luck on your end......

My #8 post I made stating about....once your LTC does expire, it really does expire and not to listen to anyone who tells you differently..........
Well, someone in another post mentioned Chapter 150 of the Act of 2004 which says if you do renew while your LTC expired you're still good as long as you got some proof showing you put in for renewal and/or have a renewal date for it. I do not want to give out incorrect information, but I was told differently. My question is, is the Chapter 150/Acts of 2004 for MA Residents only?? Someone please chime in on the correct answer. Thnx.

To all. the Mass LTC finally came in the mail on the 30th of June. 6 1/2 weeks after interview. Was curious on if the date would read from interview date or actually when they mailed it out. Happy to say from the date mailed out late June. I am goingto consider for next year mailing out application even earlier. maybe 4 months out just in case.

In respsonse to Sambo. All my paperwork renewal applications ever filled out (non resident) says permit is not valid once it expires. Yes I would like to know the answer as well but do not want to be the test case in jail/court trying to fight it.

Yes, the date on the LTC is the date it was issued. WOW, 6 1/2 weeks??!! Just like you, I am going to turn my renewal in 4 weeks earlier.
Massachusett's, gotta love em!

Your LTC is good for 90 days after it has expired (read the terms), but I could not find if it is also valid for a Non-Resident though. Just type in Chapter 150- Acts of 2004 and you can read it for youself also and see what you can make out of it. The guy interviewing me at the time said it is not valid and not to listen to anyone else who tells you differently, which leads me to beleive now that it is not valid for a non-resident. /COLOR]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back