Dialing 911 and waitig NOT a good idea.

dogshawred

Became aware of this incident and felt the need to post what I found, this unfortunate family took the advise of so many anti gun advocates and now have no family to comfort them. I feel for the child for having to witness such violence against her mother, I hope she will be able to recover and live an normal life.

~
911 calls detail last moments of woman’s life in Kenton murder
~

911 call: Ohio girl, 8, witnesses mother's murder - Toledo Blade
~
Link Removed
~
Editor's Note: I have listened to the audio tapes. They are absolutely heart-wrenching. If ever there was a reason to abandon the "dial 911 and wait" mindset, this is it. (Note too that no one in the news media have jumped on this terrible event as a reason to ban knives.)
~

by Greg Sowinski
~
The call to 911 made by a woman who would be stabbed to death by her ex-boyfriend minutes later began in a calm matter as she expressed fear but with no indication she was about to be attacked.
~
Teresa Nelson's call shows how quickly a situation can change and how precious life is as her life ends in front of her 8-year-old daughter and her grandmother at the hands of Justin Douglas Manns. He was struggling to deal with their breakup.
~
"I need a sheriff out here. I have an unwanted person and he's at my door and he will not leave and I'm scared for my life," she told the Hardin County Sheriff's dispatcher.
~
The dispatcher calls a deputy to go to the home about four miles outside Kenton.
~
The 28-year-old Nelson tells the dispatcher Manns was at her home the previous day threatening to kill himself. She said he had a knife.
~
"Please tell them to hurry," Nelson said.
~
During the call, Nelson speaks to Manns, 22, through the door telling him another person told her to call the police if he returned.
~
"Why?" Manns is heard asking.
~
Nelson told him it was because of his actions the day before.
~
"Your whole little knife incident yesterday," she said.
~
The dispatcher starts inquiring about the situation that led Manns to the door.
~
Nelson said she had an engagement ring from Manns and he wanted it back.
~
"Yesterday, he was threatening to kill himself on my front porch," she said.
~
Nearly four minutes into the call, the dispatcher tells Nelson there are deputies on the way.
~
The call seemed routine and like many others that are worked out peacefully and there’s no indication Manns is about to kick in the door.
~
The dispatcher asked Nelson if she wants to her to stay on the phone and Nelson said yes. Nelson then begins talking to Manns again through the door.
~
"I will find someone to give you your ring. You scare me. You literally scare me after you had that knife on the front porch yesterday," she said.
~
The dispatcher told Nelson to stop talking to him. Nelson tells her 8-year-old daughter, Kennedy, to go into another room.
~
Then, without notice, Manns begins kicking at the door.
~
"He's kicking in the door," she screams. "Grandma get down, get down. Oh my God, he's got me by the hair. Oh my God, stop, stop."
~
Nelson continues screaming into the phone.
~
"No, stop. He stabbed me, he stabbed me," she screamed
~
The call goes dead.
~
The dispatcher immediately calls back and Nelson's daughter, Kennedy, answers.
~
Kennedy's first words are: "Justin stabbed her."
~
The dispatcher tells Kennedy deputies are on the way.
~
Moments later that call goes dead and the dispatcher calls back.
~
Kennedy answers and the dispatcher asked Kennedy where her mother was stabbed. Kennedy said she did not know.
~
Kennedy calls out for her mom and tells the dispatcher Manns still is there. The dispatcher tells her to stay in another room.
~
"Don't pay attention to what's going on out there, OK? Go in a room and shut the door," she tells Kennedy.
~
The two calls to Kennedy last more than seven minutes with the dispatcher trying to comfort Kennedy while telling her deputies are on the way. Kennedy tells the dispatcher she’s in a bedroom with her grandmother.
~
In the middle of the third call, Kennedy starts to scream: "Mommy's dead, mommy's dead."
~
The dispatcher asked whether Nelson was talking and Kennedy asked her grandmother. The grandmother said Nelson was not talking.
~
"I think she's dead," Kennedy said. “Please get here."
~
The dispatcher tells Kennedy deputies are on the way and they would help her mother.
~
Near the end of the third call, sirens can be heard in the background. The dispatcher tells Kennedy a deputy is inside the home but she should remain in the bedroom.
~
Kennedy asked her grandmother whether Nelson was dead.
~
"I don't know, she's just laying there," the grandmother is heard saying.
~
Kennedy begins screaming, "I think mommy's dead."
~
The dispatcher tells her police are in the home and officers will help Nelson. She continues to talk to Kennedy to try to keep her in the bedroom.
~
Kennedy screams again, "My mommy is dead. Dead."
~
A police officer is heard walking into the bedroom and Kennedy begins hysterically asking if her mother is dead.
~
"I don't want my mommy to be dead," she said.
~
The call ends.
~
As it turns out, Nelson died from injuries before deputies had a chance to get there given the rural location and Mann's quick actions.
~
After killing Nelson, Manns stabbed himself to death.

If she had a firearm she could have taken a defensive position somewhere in the house while she waited on the phone with 911. I have heard it recommended that you should not stay on the phone with 911 if there is a possibility of using a firearm because then everything is recorded. After telling them what the emergency is tell them you have to get off the phone to take care of yourself, loved one or some other excuse. The last thing you need is some over zealous anti-gun DA claiming after the fact that you were not really in danger or in fear for your life because of some little comment or sound in the 911 recording.

Hm, wonder if Anti-Gun advocates realize stuff like this happens every day to innocent unarmed people. I guess we should work on banning knifes huh? Or maybe relationships....Sad outcome for this family. Prayers out for the little girl and the family.

Why didn't her mother try to help her? Real winner there...

No kidding. ... If an armed criminal tries to break into our house grandma is the go to girl. She can hurl her dentures or use the tennis balls on the bottom of her walker to fend the criminal off.

Do you think before you post? Criticizing a terrified grandma. ........... wow.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Wife is armed, dial 911 and take defensive position, use weapon if entry takes place, to hell with waiting to die.

If the Sheep are attacked, don't be surprised if some are not slaughtered. Horrible story but fully preventable. Had the sheep been armed, possibly a different end would have come. (speculation, but a plausible one).
This continued belief in this false sense of security in ones own safety has been another theme of the left for decades. WHY.......as most know because they want to disarm you.
+
Take prudent steps for you and your family security.....you're called a nut job. BUT, a well armed nut job. NO ONE is responsible for your safety and the well being of your family but YOU.
Keep your powder dry. It'll get worse before it's gets better.

Unarmed grandmothers may not be successful in fending off a man with a knife. The story tells us that the mom told the eight year old to go to another room. It is very possible that the grandmother would have gone into the room with the eight year old. When 911 called back to the residence the grandmother was in the room with the eight year old. I would guess the grandmother was in the room with the eight year old the entire time as it would have been a bit traumatic for the youngster.

I live in Kenton where this happened. First of all, both were heroin addicts, at least. Kenton police and Hardin Sheriff Dept. were all too familiar with both of them. House was about 4 miles from Sheriff Dept., I'm not sure how close a Deputy was in a vehicle. At any rate, it took too much time for a deputy to get to the house, obviously. Very sad story but becoming all too common as heroin and meth epidemics explode in rural areas of our country. Hardin County Ohio, where Kenton is county seat, has an enormous drug problem. People who read the 911 call transcript should not conclude this was a murder and suicide over a lovers break-up, I believe it had to do with the value of the engagement ring. Hard for me to understand how someone can commit suicide with a knife, but maybe heroin dulled the pain. Cautionary tale clearly showing how important it is to have a firearm close by at all times.

I have heard it recommended that you should not stay on the phone with 911 if there is a possibility of using a firearm because then everything is recorded. After telling them what the emergency is tell them you have to get off the phone to take care of yourself, loved one or some other excuse. The last thing you need is some over zealous anti-gun DA claiming after the fact that you were not really in danger or in fear for your life because of some little comment or sound in the 911 recording.

actually as far as I am concerned the opposite is true, if in imminent danger and you are able to dial 911 the fact that there is a recording of the incident could keep your butt off of the fryer.

Our government continues to disarm the victims with regulations and taxes, making it unaffordable to protect ourselves, while enabling the criminals.
edit: I guess if wallyb is correct, she could not legally purchase a gun.

Our government continues to disarm the victims with regulations and taxes, making it unaffordable to protect ourselves, while enabling the criminals.
edit: I guess if wallyb is correct, she could not legally purchase a gun.

Both were felons. A gun to a heroin addict is simply another article to pawn.

Kenton Times article

Link RemovedTeresa Nelson and Justin Manns in happier times

Link Removed
Murder scene

Kenton man kills ex-girlfriend, takes own life
Deputies investigate the scene at 10146 Co. Rd. 195 Tuesday morning, where Justin Manns stabbed his ex-girlfriend, Teresa Nelson, to death as her eight-year-old daughter looked on, before taking his own life.

Teresa (Botchlett) Nelson’s voice was calm as she called Hardin County 9-1-1 Tuesday morning.
Her ex-boyfriend, Justin Manns of Kenton, was at her front door, she told the dispatcher and was refusing to leave. Within the next few minutes the scene at 10146 Co. Rd. 195 exploded into a nightmare with Nelson’s eight-year-old daughter and grandmother in the home while Manns murdered the 28-year-old mother.
Manns had been to the house on Monday, Nelson explained to the dispatcher as the call began shortly after 10 a.m. During that visit, he had threatened to kill himself and displayed a knife to Nelson.
She shared the experience with a law enforcement officer, who advised her to call the sheriff if Manns returned. Nelson can be heard telling Manns this on the recording of the 9-1-1 call.
“There is an unwanted person at my door and he will not leave,” she had reported. “I am scared for my life.”

Sheriff Keith Everhart said his deputies had been told Manns and Nelson had been in a relationship, but had recently broken up.
“What recently means, I’m not sure,” said the sheriff. “He was frustrated over things … We had dealt with both of these people in the past over narcotics issues, but I don’t know of any domestic issues.”
The dispatcher assured Nelson officers were on their way to the house located about three miles northeast of Kenton and she would remain on the phone with her until the deputies arrived. She advised Nelson not to talk with Manns until after help arrived, but the woman screamed Manns was kicking in the door.
“He’s got me by the hair! He stabbed me! He stabbed me!” Nelson is heard to scream before the call went dead.
Everhart said the dispatcher immediately tried to reconnect with Nelson and the phone was answered by her daughter.
“Justin stabbed her!” the girl cried out. “I’m scared.”
The dispatcher attempted to calm the girl who was hiding with her grandmother in a nearby room with no door or closet.
“Call my daddy, please,” said the girl through her tears.
The dispatcher assured the girl help was on the way to “to help mommy and get the bad man.”
“Is mommy dead?” the girl asked the dispatcher. “Is she dead? I don’t want my mommy to be dead.”
As deputies arrived, they found Nelson on the floor of the house. She had been stabbed several times, said Everhart. Manns was laying on the floor beside her where he had stabbed himself in the chest with the same knife.
EMTs attempted to revive Manns and Nelson, but were unsuccessful, said Everhart. The bodies were taken to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office for autopsies, he said. BCI&I was called to investigate the scene, the sheriff continued.
“To me, it is clear what happened here,” said Everhart, “but we want to investigate this thoroughly.”
The girl was released to family members and Job and Family Services workers were sent to counsel her. One of the tragedies of the situation, said Everhart, is the whole scene played out in front of the eight-year-old.
The sheriff said Tuesday’s crime also had an impact on his officers and dispatchers.
“I am worried about my staff and I intend to have a talk with them,” said Everhart. “It impacts all of us because we are supposed to be here to help people and now they are all thinking, ‘What if I had gotten there quicker’ or had done something to stop it. But there are times we can’t get there in time. Sometimes you can’t stop evil.”

Below is a link to convicted drug traffickers in Hardin County, convicted in a hardin County Ohio court, to be more precise. Many many more Hardin County drug traffickers have been convicted in surrounding counties and because of that fact do not show up on this list. This is why Teresa (Botchlett) Nelson and Justin Manns may not be included in list. Also, frst 4 digits of case # indicate year of conviction.

www.hardincountyprosecutor.com/drugtraffickers.php

Wallyb, thanks for the additional information.
~
Even if they were known to LEOs for their connection to drugs, she and her family are entitled to the same protections under the law as you and I.

A good reason to practice weak-hand dialing... also, if there's one in the pipe, you can dial sooner...

Hm, wonder if Anti-Gun advocates realize stuff like this happens every day to innocent unarmed people. I guess we should work on banning knifes huh? Or maybe relationships....Sad outcome for this family. Prayers out for the little girl and the family.

The answer to a situation of this kind is really quite simple. Obviously we need to change the building code to require reinforced doors/frames and impact resistant or even bulletproof glass on all buildings. Certainly everyone can afford these minor upgrades to their homes.

This may have been one of those situations about which our illustrious VEEP spoke where firing a shotgun through the door may have been warranted.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back