Detroit woman killed when hug triggers officer's gun, police say

superprincess

Published July 09, 2012

Associated Press

DETROIT – A woman celebrating the weekend before her 25th birthday was fatally shot Sunday when she hugged an off-duty police officer while dancing at a party, causing the officer's service weapon to fire, according to police and her mother.

Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday, according to her mother, Yolanda McNair.

The shooting happened at an outdoor social gathering about 12:30 a.m., said police Sgt. Eren Stephens. It happened on the city's west side.

According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

Stephens said the Detroit officer will remain on administrative duties while authorities investigate the shooting and report their findings to the Wayne County prosecutor. The officer's name was not released.

"For this to happen to her, whether they want to call it freak accident or mistake in judgment, it should have never happened to my child, and there's nothing I can do to get her back," McNair told WDIV-TV.

McNair said her daughter was out to mark her upcoming birthday.

"All she wanted to do was enjoy the weekend for her birthday," the mother said. "She had every right to enjoy turning 25 and look beyond that."

Read more: Detroit woman killed when hug triggers officer's gun, police say | Fox News

Published July 09, 2012

Associated Press

DETROIT – A woman celebrating the weekend before her 25th birthday was fatally shot Sunday when she hugged an off-duty police officer while dancing at a party, causing the officer's service weapon to fire, according to police and her mother.

Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday, according to her mother, Yolanda McNair.

The shooting happened at an outdoor social gathering about 12:30 a.m., said police Sgt. Eren Stephens. It happened on the city's west side.

According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

Stephens said the Detroit officer will remain on administrative duties while authorities investigate the shooting and report their findings to the Wayne County prosecutor. The officer's name was not released.

"For this to happen to her, whether they want to call it freak accident or mistake in judgment, it should have never happened to my child, and there's nothing I can do to get her back," McNair told WDIV-TV.

McNair said her daughter was out to mark her upcoming birthday.

"All she wanted to do was enjoy the weekend for her birthday," the mother said. "She had every right to enjoy turning 25 and look beyond that."

Read more: Detroit woman killed when hug triggers officer's gun, police say | Fox News

This has already been posted, sorry SP lol

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gene...n/27352-off-duty-detroit-police-shooting.html

i'm wondering if he pulled the trigger himself?? i'd want to know also if that woman was pregnant with his child?? someting needs to explain how a gun just went off from a 'hug' while he was dancing with another lady ...perhaps he had a few too many women .......

A hug from the rear and bullet goes in the lung and heart.
Does this mean she was on her knees?
Was he bending over?
Did someone else pull the trigger?
The holster must have been a cheap one.
What is being covered up?

A hug from the rear and bullet goes in the lung and heart.
Does this mean she was on her knees?
Was he bending over?
Did someone else pull the trigger?
The holster must have been a cheap one.
What is being covered up?
Apparently she must have been on her knees. how else could the bullet have punctured her heart???

i'm wondering if he pulled the trigger himself?? i'd want to know also if that woman was pregnant with his child?? someting needs to explain how a gun just went off from a 'hug' while he was dancing with another lady ...perhaps he had a few too many women .......

I'm wondering if the wife pulled the trigger.

probably a shoulder holster and he was dancing with his wife when his mistress came up to give her hug is my guess

In the other thread, someone said the Detroit PD issued M&Ps. I own and carry one in 9mm, and I consider it far from cheap. This whole story definitely has something written wrong all over it.
I believe they left out some major details. The police officer is probably in big trouble!

Rather than her being on her knees (How chivalric and classless a suggestion!:rolleyes:) I suspect that the officer was wearing his gun in a horizontal shoulder holster.
I was once at a friend's wedding. One of the guests hugged me and put her hand right on my concealed OWB 1911.Fortunately, my gun didn't go bang.

The holster in the video does not look like an IWB holster to me. It looks like a OWB holster. Also, he put the gun in the holster with the slide locked back. If the slide was in battery, the gun might have sat in the holster not seated correctly, leaving part of the trigger exposed. That type of holster is notorious for moving around, so I doubt that the holster was where he left it. Just sitting down can easily dislodge that type of holster. IF the story is correct, then it is a tragic accident.

I believe that it was a fault common to that particular holster. I read elsewhere online the officer was using the Indaclub holtser released in 2008 by Burress Industries in New York.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back