Deleting preditors

ozarkgunner

Custom fabricator
My wife works with someone that has a small farm. They are having problems with coyotes and a mountain lion getting thier sheep. I'll be going and taking care of these provlems for them. Any suggestions on bait? T
The property owners are not shooters and have no firearms, so I will begin teaching them shooting and safety, as well as thier kids.
I told my wife the best time for me to do the eradication process would be at night after i get off work. I work a second shift and get off at midnite, so it would be the perfect time to handle the coyotes. Would that also be a good time for the mountain lion?
Please excuse spelling and punctuation, im posting this from my "smart" phone

Be sure to research this thoroughly. Many places require a permit and/or license to hunt. You may need a special license/permit to hunt at night. Eradication is still considered a form of hunting in some jurisdictions. Doing so without the proper permit/license could result in a trip to jail.

I would get an electronic call and perhaps an inexpensive decoy (rabbit) would work nice. I got an electronic call in the bargin cave at Cabela's for $45...They are the best way to go. I would think the same time of day would apply for either critter. But as mentioned above, make sure you have the correct permits. Mountain Lion may not have a season, a guy in MN just got a big fine for taking a cat....What are you shooting them with?

Sportsmans Channel has a number of hunting shows that are very educational as far as hunting predators go.

The most effective management tool is to run a trap line.

I recommend getting a magazine titled FUR-FISH-GAME for information on getting started.

Be sure to research this thoroughly. Many places require a permit and/or license to hunt. You may need a special license/permit to hunt at night. Eradication is still considered a form of hunting in some jurisdictions. Doing so without the proper permit/license could result in a trip to jail.

This is good advice. Even if you are on private property with permission/blessing of the owner, some states will turn you into a criminal for hunting. For example in my state I cannot kill deer on my property, no matter what damage they have done nor how overpopulated the state herd is, unless I have applied/paid for and have in my possesion a special "property owner" tag. It's flat illegal to spotlight 'coons on my property at night. If I remember right there is also some law that prevents shooting pigeons that crap all over and spread disease on your own property unless you've paid the state for the "right". A lot of states restrict hunting at night period. So save yourself a potential hassle and find out what's legal to do before you do it!

My wife works with someone that has a small farm. They are having problems with coyotes and a mountain lion getting thier sheep. I'll be going and taking care of these provlems for them. Any suggestions on bait? T
The property owners are not shooters and have no firearms, so I will begin teaching them shooting and safety, as well as thier kids.
I told my wife the best time for me to do the eradication process would be at night after i get off work. I work a second shift and get off at midnite, so it would be the perfect time to handle the coyotes. Would that also be a good time for the mountain lion?
Please excuse spelling and punctuation, im posting this from my "smart" phone

What state? Might I also suggest a couple of Great Pyrenees of Kuvask. I know several farmers that have these dogs watch their livestock. They've killed near a dozen Coyote too.

If you can find one of those old dolls that cried when you moved them you could take the little noise maker out and use it. Blowing it causes a squeal like an injured rabbit . It's a lot cheaper than an electronic cal & works as well as if not better than the $45 one

If you can find one of those old dolls that cried when you moved them you could take the little noise maker out and use it. Blowing it causes a squeal like an injured rabbit . It's a lot cheaper than an electronic cal & works as well as if not better than the $45 one

The $45.00 call in the bargin cave was actually a $250.00 retail call that someone had returned but worked fine. I would not recommend an actual $45.00 electronic call...sorry I should have clarified that point....

After all the legal items taken care of, I would suggest a freshly killed chicken as bait for the cat. Back in the '60's I had a friend whose grandfather lived in cat country. He always used chickens as bait for the Mountain Lions with success. Hung the decapitated chicken about 4' off the ground, letting the blood drip on to the ground. Just my .02 cents.

Edit: If I remember correctly, seems the cats came around in the very early mornings, but still dark outside.

You're not going to even see that CAT unless you have hound dogs. Very very few mountain lions are killed just by happenstance. Mountain Lions are very smart and not often seen. As for the other varmints, The predator call as suggested should work well.

Thanks for the info guys. I check regs again, im in Missouri. As a land owner or his agent, i can hunt "small game" with or without a permit on private land. I think thw only restriction comes around a certain deer season, bit even there there are exceptions for land owners and leesees.
As his "agent" or leesee i can hint coyotes at nigjt at will. Again, thanks for the input.
Mark

Be careful trying to "cap" that cat. Still on the "endangered species" list last I heard. BIG fines involved here. If you DO manage to rid yourself of the nusance.... bury that sucker and never tell a soul.

GG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back