defense ammo cycle

beachbum17

Was reading another forum and was curious what you think of carrying a full clip of hollowpoints like I do or just a few on top like my other gun. I also noticed my Speer ammo is starting to get crimmed when I cycle it into a new magazine every 2 months or so. It still looks ok, but was wondering of cramming could cause problems

Why would you not carry a full magazine of hollow points? When I unload the firearm I rotate a new round into the chamber and "cycle" the previously loaded round into the bottom of the magazine as to not continually load the same two rounds into the chamber over and over, but then again, I don't often unload the firearm so I guess it's a bit of over kill....

Full magazine of HP is my preference. I have topped off with HP if I didn't have enough to fill every weapon. If you are becoming worried about your ammo it is time to shoot it up and buy more. Good ammo is expensive. Bad ammo will get you killed. Why take the chance. Sounds like a great reason to go to the range. If it goes bang you learned a lesson, if it doesn't you still learned a lesson. Either way you had fun.

i was wondering the same thing i keep my mag of 40.TAP HPs 6 full out of 10 round clip (ca) ive been lookin around and asking and i found that it is no damage to spring or clip to have it loaded and that most LEOs keep there guns fully loaded and dont discharge rounds until quarterly tested. and that the damage is when you unload and reload the spring pressure n no pressure to it. so im stiking to keeping my half full

I try to keep a clip full of Hollow Points (Defense Rounds) and a clip full of FMJ's with me at most times. If I just want to rap off a few rounds I drop the HP clip and load the FMJ's. Like in the case of yesterday when I sopped at my brother-in-laws just to visit and showed him my new XD .40 sub-compact..........a "try a couple rounds through this" turned into 50+ in that, the only 2 clips I had in a 9mm, almost 50 in the wife's .380, 30-40 in his .22 S&W, about 25 in a single shot .22 rifle and a few .410 rounds. I did save 5 rounds of HP's so I would have something to carry in the .40 the rest of the day. Now the 4 Hydro-Shocks I have left at home will have to sit on top of some FMJ's in the 9mm until I can get to the ammo store. As you can tell rotating stock is not a big concern here. I love Maine! yesterdays "range" was slide open the kitchen door and shoot "stuff" of the bird feeder. I think they will be going to the grocery store today for more apples, oranges, potatoes, mushrooms, crackers, and sunflower seeds.

Lot of folks shoots ball ammo and then loads with HPs and never shoot them. Most guns will shoot a little different (high - low - right - left) with different ammo.

Make sure you practice with what your carry so you understand how the weapon will act and shot placement.

When you feed you are driving the nose of the bullet into the ramp, and you will have some bullet set...Meaning the bullet will be driven back into the casing a little.

I carry a full mag in the gun and a spare in the purse...all HP. When I go to the range, I mostly unload and shoot the cheap stuff, then reload the mags with HP, but every once in a while I shoot off the HP just so I don't forget how my guns acts with those.

I like to keep it simple. Shoot what you use at the range. Hard ball cost less and you won't have problems chambering a round. Some pistols will not reliably chamber HP's due to feed ramp design.

I shoot ball at the range and carry JHP for defense. But they do get rotated out at the range thru the gun just to keep the ammo fresh. About 3 months is the lifetime of the JHP. I do have year old ball.

Never heard of one going off in the magazine. However, if you get too much "set back" on the same round, when you do shoot it, it is likely to be a little hotter. If you have loaded P+ ammo, have some set back, and then shoot, you could end up with P++ ammo by accident.
I cylce / shoot my carry ammo every few months. Last year I shot some at an IDPA match. Got some real funny looks on those first two stages. Normally I shoot ball hand loads like everyone else.

Have never seen one go off in mag....But like Iam2Taz said you will get more bang if it set's back much.

Good point I should shoot it and buy more. I've never shot my Speer gold ammo before, but my other load federal. I know how it shots. The ammo is getting crimped from loading and unloading it when I go to the range don't want to waste something that costs more than a dollar a round but I'll suck it up and shot it

I had some year and half old stuff that was crimped from in and out of magazines, still worked great.

What are our thoughts on generic hollow points vs hornday, federal, Speer,etc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back