dash cam for civilian?

Andrew49417

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007PNZBRM/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356387237&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

This seems like an affordable way to prove your position in an accident, traffic stop, or self defense event. Any thoughts?

Always thought about that. I've seen cases on YouTube where people were ticketed and/or got into accidents and the camera saved'em a lot of trouble. But then again, it works both ways... do something stupid and it's on tape.

They seem to be rather common overseas, particularly in Russia (I'm assuming due to the frequency of road rage incidents there).

Could be a good investment, IMO.

I bought one. It was about $80. It tracks speed, location, g-force, and has forward/back video with IR light for inside night video. You can view your route on Google maps.

I've been thinking about something like this for a while. I commute about 50 miles each way for work and seem to be a magnet for all of the idiot drivers around me; you know the ones- switching across multiple lanes without looking or signalling, tailgating severely too close and swerving back and forth trying to intimidate the other driving into getting over, swerving at other drivers to intimidate them, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007PNZBRM/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356387237&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

This seems like an affordable way to prove your position in an accident, traffic stop, or self defense event. Any thoughts?

It's a great idea except:
1. Illinois, Massachusetts, and Maryland (all I could find) have statutes forbidding public video / audio recording of LEOs and LEO activity crime, arrests, traffic accidents, etc, [including LEO scenes from great distance] even though many of these states' actions against individuals' VR has been overturned. Link Removed

2. States with no laws forbidding public VR of LEO activity may, and usually do, give you an initial hard time or even falsely arrest you on trumped up charges; interfering with police activity, etc., even though you're VRing a scene 50 yds away.

They abuse your First Amendment rights on the basis that:
a. you don't know the law
b. you can't afford a lawyer to pursue First Amendment violations
c. police-infatuation, i.e., they sense you don't have the guts to stand up against an LEO even if he told you that breathing is illegal

When necessary I refute a. and b. and never commit c..

I use this in all my vehicles: Link Removed

It is not illegal to record the police in public, the courts have consistently rules the police have no expectation of privacy while performing their duties in public.

Both Illinois and Maryland courts have ruled against this law regarding recording police in public. I also believe that at least one of the US Courts of Appeals have struck down similar laws.

It's a great idea except:
1. Illinois, Massachusetts, and Maryland (all I could find) have statutes forbidding public video / audio recording of LEOs and LEO activity crime, arrests, traffic accidents, etc, [including LEO scenes from great distance] even though many of these states' actions against individuals' VR has been overturned. Link Removed

2. States with no laws forbidding public VR of LEO activity may, and usually do, give you an initial hard time or even falsely arrest you on trumped up charges; interfering with police activity, etc., even though you're VRing a scene 50 yds away.

Amazing, these are all states with the worst gun laws. And IMHO when/where cops break the law (because they can) and no one can prove they did since they arrest videographers. There is NO EXPECTATION of privacy when LEOs that WE employee with TAX money are doing their jobs. They should be happy they are being recorded so frivolous "police wrong doing law suits" can be avoided. What are they trying to hide? We get video'd from traffic cams, ATMs, Walmart security cams, but we can't video a LEO doing a "lawful" arrest? Sounds fishy to me. What is this country coming to?

Have never understood why filming law enforcement would be illegal... You don't suppose... well, no... probably not. :unsure:

I've been using one for about 6 months records both in and outside. You can turn off the inside camera. Legal or not someday it might help me or someone else.

Just be careful. Some places it's illegal to film LEOs. There are plenty of horror stories on this.

My vehicle = My property.

I don't much give a $hit if some Gestapo with a badge might approve of it or not.

Mess with my rights = Deal with my attorney.

Just be careful. Some places it's illegal to film LEOs. There are plenty of horror stories on this.

that's an inaccurate statement. as pointed out earlier, public officials have no expectation of privacy in public. Plenty of people get harassed by cops that are either ignorant of the law or just trying to intimidate people, but this is where knowing and standing up for your rights is important.

Illinois Eavesdropping Law Finally Dead: State Attorney?s Career also Likely Dead. | PINAC

I use this in all my vehicles: New BlackVue DR400G HD II Season 2 Car Black Box Drive GPS Recorder 16GB | eBay

It is not illegal to record the police in public, the courts have consistently rules the police have no expectation of privacy while performing their duties in public.

I also use the DR400 wired in with a power magic Pro controller. it's on 24-7 and i hardly touch it. its pretty much set it and forget it (until needed). I highly recommend this camera.

If you have a smartphone get a tape recorded app. Whenever you're stopped, start the recorder and put the phone in a top pocket or other location where it can record the contact. DO NOT tell the LEO you are recording him. Just ignore the phone. Be nice, be respectful, follow the law and make a record of the stop. If it goes bad do not tip your hand regarding the recording.

I had the DR400 but I sold it and bought the DVR ITB-100HD and I love it their where a scram that have been going around that you can be driving and the person in front of you put he brake on fast making you run into the back of him and they get out saying that you are at fault and your insurance will pay out tons of money messing up your insurance so yeah I do have on and love it. It even video movie in 1080 24fps, I put a 32 gig card and the old files get deleted as the card fill.

If you have a smart phone or any phone with video capabilities you can position it and begin recording before he walks up to the car. I don't believe any state would prevent you from recording acts within your car or home as they're not public places. I put mine right in my top shirt pocket and face the LEO. Be polite... like... little Opey from Mayberry polite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back