Damn Glasses

Dr. Dillner

Well, I need to wear bifocals now and aiming my guns is a challenge. So, all you glasses wearers out there, what is best progressive lenses or bifocals?:wacko:

My Husband & I both wear the no-line bifocals...they do take some getting used to...but I find they work the best for me...the lined bifocals interfere with my line of sight. I've worn Bi-focals for over 20 years (I am 46) and the Progressive have come a LONG way since I first started wearing them.

I am in the same boat. I can see the target clear but front sight is blurry. I am going to try different front & rear sights (bigger and/or smaller) to see what works with my Nearsightedness. I was suggested to try Warren Sights.

I have found that if I shoot without my glasses the sights are clear and the target is fuzzy that I have no problem hitting the target...

I'm 58 and have worn contact lenses for the past 45 years....and obviously need to reading glasses to function these days. I find that just wearing my readers works pretty well and also provides a little bit of protection. I focus on the sights and allow the target to be slightly blurred. Works for me, your mileage may vary.

I shot my friends M1 Garand. Target was 40 yards. Did it with out glasses (far sighted). At least w/o the cheaters I could just make out the target.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

"Has any one tried the Perfas lens?"

Please elaborate...I googled it and nothing came up, at least referring to any corrective lens type thing. Thanks.

I use progressive lenses. I painted the front sights white, so I could get some contrast and pick up the sights easier. There's a really good article on dealing with shooting and 'old eyes' by Grant Cunningham. Find it either on his site, or PDN. I found it extremely helpful.

"Has any one tried the Perfas lens?"

Please elaborate...I googled it and nothing came up, at least referring to any corrective lens type thing. Thanks.

Haven't used one myself but it's suposed to be a ultra clear progressive lense that allows focus with the entire lens

I wear the regular (line) bifocals. When my eyes really started bothering my shooting, I took my pistol to the optometrist and we worked out a bifocal combination that allowed a good view of the sights (lower lens) when the gun is in the "go fly" position and a clear view of the target (top lens). By adjusting the height to of the line, he was able to make a pair of bifocal shooting glasses that allows me to see both pretty easily. Admittedly, I have to make a momentary "switch", but I'm so used to it that it doesn't affect me.

Over the years, my eyes haven't gotten any better and I'm now on my third pair of shooting glasses. The prescriptions have changed, but the position of the line remains the same.

Last edited:
Progressives for sure, but they do take some getting used to. My doctor told me the easiest way to get used to them was to be sure and point my nose at what I was looking at for awhile. Sounds crazy, but it seemed to work.

For target shooting I wear my bifocals all the time with no problems. As it should be a clear front sight and fuzzy target. For combat shooting I do not use sights and shoot on instinct. Stare at the target point the weapon at the target and pull the trigger.
Bill

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back