DA/SA pistol: safety on or off

tehe4y8a.jpg

"Nuff said"....

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Somehow I knew when I read the first post, I would be able to read every post, and everyone would proclaim, safety off.

Is this a Rambo crowd, or what?

I own and at times CC a DA/SA decocker, a Beretta Px4 Storm Sub Compact 9mm. I keep a round in the chamber, and the safety ON!

If all you guys were submarine captains, I bet the nuclear strike keys would be dangling in the control boxes, 24/7.

People who train with safeties on, are how much slower than those that train with safeties off? The speed of the presentation is almost the same time wise, but it takes longer for the safety off people to get to the firing line to qualify, because they all walk to the firing line with Glock Leg. lol

For me, safety is first. How can anyone proclaim, safety first, if your own sidearm, has the safety off?

In firearm safety classes, as a Chief Range Safety Officer, we train students, if you have a safety, place the gun on safety before reholstering your pistol.

My usual CC pistol is any one of several Glocks, and I never have ammo in my Glocks, without first placing a trigger block safety in them. Easy, and instantaneous to remove should I need my gun.

Link Removed

While I was in college back in 1991, I got my first CCW permit and was carrying my only firearm at that time- a Smith and Wesson 4006. At the time, 2 of the three local PD's also carried the 4006 (County Sheriff's Department and the University PD). I knew some of the Sheriff's deputies (when you grow up in an area of less than 3000 people, you get to know a lot of them) and got to know several of the University PD officers through my restaurant job and ALL of them were trained to carry the 4006 with the safety disengaged. That made sense to me with the way the 3rd generation Smith semi auto safety is laid out. The safety is on the slide and you flip it up to disengage. That is not a natural part of gaining the proper shooting grip on the gun and if I'm having to draw my concealed carry piece I don't want to waste any unnecessary time. Since it made sense to me and was good enough for them, I decided it was good enough for me and started carrying mine that way.

Fast forward over 20 years and I still carry a DA/SA semi auto that way that doesn't require me to manually lower the hammer on a live round. My taste in preferred carry piece has changed over the last 2 decades (I prefer DAO wheelguns or SA only semi autos) and the 4006 is now a safe queen but my little Beretta Tomcat .32 gets carried a LOT during the summer. Since it has a rebounding firing pin and a tip up barrel (so I don't have to rack the slide and lower the hammer on a live round), I carry it with the hammer down and the safety off. I'm left handed, so that tiny right hand only safety is useless to me anyhow.

Purchased a 642 Airweight Smith. Nice pocket gun. At the same time, purchased a Ruger LCP. They will make good classroom show-in-tell guns.

Somehow I knew when I read the first post, I would be able to read every post, and everyone would proclaim, safety off.

Is this a Rambo crowd, or what?

I own and at times CC a DA/SA decocker, a Beretta Px4 Storm Sub Compact 9mm. I keep a round in the chamber, and the safety ON!

If all you guys were submarine captains, I bet the nuclear strike keys would be dangling in the control boxes, 24/7.

People who train with safeties on, are how much slower than those that train with safeties off? The speed of the presentation is almost the same time wise, but it takes longer for the safety off people to get to the firing line to qualify, because they all walk to the firing line with Glock Leg. lol

For me, safety is first. How can anyone proclaim, safety first, if your own sidearm, has the safety off?

In firearm safety classes, as a Chief Range Safety Officer, we train students, if you have a safety, place the gun on safety before reholstering your pistol.

My usual CC pistol is any one of several Glocks, and I never have ammo in my Glocks, without first placing a trigger block safety in them. Easy, and instantaneous to remove should I need my gun.

Link Removed

Great picture showing the proper way to hold a firearm with your finger off the trigger. Since you do know this, then why the need for the trigger block? Does your finger sometimes roam on its own without your control?

For many years people of the old west walked around with loaded 6-shooters. You just draw and pull the trigger. Carrying a semi-auto with a round in the chamber and safety off that has a long trigger pull is the same as carrying a loaded revolver. I carry round in chamber, safety off and feel safe. If my gun had a light trigger I would think of using a safety, but not with a 10 lb long trigger pull.

:big_boss:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back