Custom handgun housing for center console...

kingofthedemo

I usually carry the S&W Bodyguard on my person, but sometimes I like to carry a full size gun in the car, so I recently had this custom made for my BMW's center console. I think it turned out pretty well, here are a few pics of the car and my set up...

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

Details of lock and construction would be nice.

That would be nice. Explanation of the last two photos would be nice too. Explanation of why you aren't carrying it instead would be nice as well. (Yes, I did read that you carry a Bodyguard... but then why have a full-size in the car and not on your body). :confused:

Disregarding those questions, it is a nice holder though. If it didn't lock, I would not want to keep it in the car without me in the car too. If I am in it, I would prefer the Glock to be on my person.

Explanation of the last two photos would be nice too.

I was just posting a few pics of the car that the housing was made for, it seemed germane to me. I'm not sure why you think that would require an explanation...

Explanation of why you aren't carrying it instead would be nice as well.

As I said in the first post, I usually carry a smaller gun on my person, but at times I like to keep another larger gun in the car...

I was just posting a few pics of the car that the housing was made for, it seemed germane to me. I'm not sure why you think that would require an explanation...

As I said in the first post, I usually carry a smaller gun on my person, but at times I like to keep another larger gun in the car...

Did you read the rest of my questions or the fact that I acknowledged you carried the Bodyguard... and do you leave the Glock in that console when you are not in the car. I'm trying to figure out the purpose of your construction, if it locks, why you prefer to have this firearm off your body and in a console. These questions you passed by.

Nice design and, from your words and thread, you are proud of it. If you got the money, you can do anything. I have seen pictures in houses where secret automated walls open up with rooms or drawers or closets filled with firearms etal. When full size and driving I have my $30 Remora that I can adjust to my liking when in car and readjust before leaving car--works great and meets all CC law in SC. As far as houses go, I have my firearm behind my bed and when stored it sits on $20 of magnets in what I perceive as a place no one will even think of but I can access easily--works great. Bottom line: Nice pix, nice car--you can do it and enjoy it--good for you.

I like it, well made and fits the car well. My question is this.
Why facing the way it is? What I mean is, if you are right-handed, it would seem that if the gun was laying on the opposite side with the butt facing the passenger seat it would be easier to pick-up.

^^ thanks for the kind words guys! :)

@ Iceman: The reason I have the gun facing that way is because, that was the only way that it would fit in the oem center console.

I agree with Blue Demon it does look nice. However, I think it would be more functional if the gun went straight down into the console, like putting it in a holster. So you could just grab it and draw.
:dirol:

I agree with Blue Demon it does look nice. However, I think it would be more functional if the gun went straight down into the console, like putting it in a holster. So you could just grab it and draw.
:dirol:

Yeah that would have been nice, but the console isn't quite deep enough...

Nice. But (there had to be a 'but') this seems to be more car customizing than self defense feature. The design and construction are very obviously slanted far more toward form than toward function. The fact that you posted two pictures of the car, went to the trouble of designing in the logo and used two tone foam are also testament that this is more of a car customizing job than a self defense project. That's not a put down in any way. It's very well done and it's a project to be proud of. It's just that you might get a better response for something like this on a car customizing site than on a self defense site. Not all 'gun guys' are necessarily going to be 'custom car guys', if you know what I mean. It looks cool though.

I'm going a much simpler route. I'm screwing a quick disconnect for a Serpa holster to the side of the center console in my truck, similar to this:

Link Removed

The holster twists and locks onto the quick disconnect:

Link Removed

In my truck, the passenger seat will mostly hide the quick disconnect, not that it really matters. Very few people would know what it is anyway.

EDIT: And as an extra benefit, my G21 and G30SF actually fit in the same Serpa holster, even though the manufacturer doesn't advertise it that way, so I can use it for my carry gun or larger companion gun. I have two gun vaults in my truck.

I'm going a much simpler route. I'm screwing a quick disconnect for a Serpa holster to the side of the center console in my truck, similar to this:

Link Removed

The holster twists and locks onto the quick disconnect:

Link Removed

In my truck, the passenger seat will mostly hide the quick disconnect, not that it really matters. Very few people would know what it is anyway.

EDIT: And as an extra benefit, my G21 and G30SF actually fit in the same Serpa holster, even though the manufacturer doesn't advertise it that way, so I can use it for my carry gun or larger companion gun. I have two gun vaults in my truck.

I like your setup that's a really good idea. Your set up is definitely more functional, I will admit that there may be a little bit of form over function in my set up. :wink:

That would be nice. Explanation of the last two photos would be nice too. Explanation of why you aren't carrying it instead would be nice as well. (Yes, I did read that you carry a Bodyguard... but then why have a full-size in the car and not on your body). :confused:

I've been wanting a full size, and something like this that was lockable and secure would be nice... I wouldn't be able to carry a full size because I couldn't hide it, but for home defense and in the car (and possibly open carry if I ever go that route), I think it'd be pretty handy.

Seems a toy more than anything-a display case. A simple De Santis Kingston holster would be more functional.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back